Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is a spin off from another thread, where people asked about the safety of fracking.

Horizontal slickwater fracturing (more commonly known as "fracking") involves shoving a fracturing fluid (mostly sand and water - 1 part sand to 9 parts water) down the well at high pressure, causing small fractures in the rock.  The water then comes back out, leaving the sand behind to hold open the fractures so gas previously trapped can now escape.

Here's an animation of the process:

Sometimes instead of sand they use a different substance to prop the fractures open, such as small granules of glass or ceramic.

Sometimes they add a very small amount of radioactive isotopes to the fluid, to help track where the fluid is going (in the USA that's limited to 20 millicuries per injection).

Often they add some other chemicals to the fluid (about 1 part in 200) to alter the acidity and viscosity, such as rubbing alcohol.

The issues people are concerned about can be split into:

1. Geological - eg will it cause earthquakes?
  2. Worker safety - eg will the people working on the well suffer from breathing in dust created by the process?
  3. Air contamination - eg if not all the natural gas released gets captured, will the escaping gas like methane cause local problems?
  4. Water contamination - eg will the additives in the fracking fluid escape into local groundwater and surface water?
  5. Resource consumption - fracking uses up a lot of water.   some places are already short on water
  6. Global climate change - fracking will cause more carbon to end up in the atmosphere
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Replies (101-106):
sweetnspacey
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM

You stated that you didn't understand why anyone would agree to fracking and that money can make people loose their sense of reality. What I am saying is those comments are like saying you don't understand or agree to child labor and then buying clothes made by the children. It's easy to say we don't agree with it but I rarely see anyone choosing to live without the products that fracking/oil makes.

Quoting lga1965:

I'm not "demonizing" anyone.
You're a drama queen.
I really don't get what you mean.

Quoting sweetnspacey:

Why doesn't that make sense?

Quoting lga1965:

well that doesn't make any sense!

LOL.

Quoting sweetnspacey:

Until people, including you, stop using oil there's no room to talk. Fracking will happen because of the demand. It's funny to demonize people when you yourself use the oil they frack on a daily basis.

Quoting lga1965:

Yes, money can make people lose all sense of reality. Just wait until there are more earthquakes and polluted water.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting lga1965:

I can't see why anyone would agree to fracking.

Money.

For a nation, discovering that you have large fossil fuel reserves you previously thought inaccessible, that you suddenly discover can be cheaply extracted, feels a bit like winning a lottery.

Big winners in this lottery so far have been Canada, Israel and America.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Anyone who believes fracking isn't extremely harmful to the environment and the ground water are either stupid or desperate for money.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:13 PM

That's so unrealistic to suggest I stop using oil and gas.... and you are just reaching and reaching....

Nobody can "do without" oil at ths point and I can't do anything about that. But I can vote against the Repubs who have been bought by the Koch brothers and Big Oil.

My son has a Nissan Leaf and solar panels on his house so HE is TRYING to do something about this miserable situation. I would get solar panels but I live in a Townhome.

But just go harass someone else,okay?

Quoting sweetnspacey:

You stated that you didn't understand why anyone would agree to fracking and that money can make people loose their sense of reality. What I am saying is those comments are like saying you don't understand or agree to child labor and then buying clothes made by the children. It's easy to say we don't agree with it but I rarely see anyone choosing to live without the products that fracking/oil makes.

Quoting lga1965:

You're a drama queen.

Quoting sweetnspacey:

Quoting lga1965:

LOL.

Quoting sweetnspacey:

Until people, including you, stop using oil there's no room to talk. Fracking will happen because of the demand. It's funny to demonize people when you yourself use the oil they frack on a daily basis.

Quoting lga1965:

Yes, money can make people lose all sense of reality. Just wait until there are more earthquakes and polluted water.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting lga1965:

Money.

For a nation, discovering that you have large fossil fuel reserves you previously thought inaccessible, that you suddenly discover can be cheaply extracted, feels a bit like winning a lottery.

meriana
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM

One of the arguments used in favor of more drilling/fracking is the price of gas at the pump. We constantly hear that if we drill more, frack more, extract more oil, gas prices will go down, we'll be energy independent, etc. The oil companies are the biggest supporters of that thinking, after all, it gets people more supportive of them and more willing to reduce regulations that affect them, more willing to let them do what they want. Who wins in the end? The oil companies.

The Energy Department reported today that weekly average output rose to 7.002 million barrels a day in the week ended Jan. 4, a 1.16 million-barrel increase from the same week last year. The country met 83 percent of its energy needs in the first nine months of 2012, on pace to be the highest annual rate since 1991, department data show.   http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-09/fracking-pushes-u-s-oil-production-to-highest-level-in-20-years.html

So we're producing a LOT more oil but have prices of gas and other petroleum based products gone down? Gas prices went down a bit for a short period of time, then began rising again. No matter what the oil companies and others claim about the production/extraction of more oil, the fact remains that oil is sold on the world market and that is what determines the price....not how much we get out of the earth. If we kept what we extract for sale and use only in this country, prices would skyrocket as oil companies would charge whatever amount would give them a profit comparable to their current profit margin.  The oil companies constantly lobby for the right to explore, drill, frack where they want, they want more federal and public lands opened up to them and fewer regulations, no matter how much they win, they want more and use, for instance, gas prices to sway public opinion in their favor. Perhaps the public needs to realize that the only real winners are the oil companies themselves.

singlemom1208
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I don't know anything about it...

sweetnspacey
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I honestly wasn't trying to offend or harass you at all. Just trying to show you that the real problem doesn't come from these Big Oil or any fracking company. The real problem comes from us. Until we are willing to make giant changes and basically live life similar to the world before the introduction of oil we are basically choosing to damage our earth. I'm just saying it's not the companies fault, we are to blame. I'm done and I'm sorry if I offended you.

Quoting lga1965:

That's so unrealistic to suggest I stop using oil and gas.... and you are just reaching and reaching....

Nobody can "do without" oil at ths point and I can't do anything about that. But I can vote against the Repubs who have been bought by the Koch brothers and Big Oil.

My son has a Nissan Leaf and solar panels on his house so HE is TRYING to do something about this miserable situation. I would get solar panels but I live in a Townhome.

But just go harass someone else,okay?

Quoting sweetnspacey:

Quoting lga1965:

You're a drama queen.

Quoting sweetnspacey:

Quoting lga1965:

LOL.

Quoting sweetnspacey:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting lga1965:

Money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured