Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Edit title: Granderson's rebuttal of the rebuttal...Rubio missed the year of the woman

Posted by   + Show Post

Rubio missed the year of the woman

By LZ Granderson, CNN Contributor
updated 12:52 PM EST, Wed February 13, 2013
Watch this video

Marco Rubio's dry mouth moment

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • LZ Granderson: Rubio one of 22 male GOP senators to vote no on Violence Against Women Act
  • Granderson: Just as Rubio was to show new face of GOP, he cast a vote that's the old face
  • Rubio's reasons were absurd, he says, in light of a bill that really works to protect women
  • Act's funding 17% less than in 2005, he says. How could a women-friendly GOP say no?

Editor's note: LZ Granderson, who writes a weekly column for CNN.com, was named journalist of the year by the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association and is a 2011 Online Journalism Award finalist for commentary. He is a senior writer and columnist for ESPN the Magazine and ESPN.com. Follow him on Twitter: @locs_n_laughs.

(CNN) -- You would think that in the shadow of a general election dubbed "Year of the Woman," the last thing any Republican in Washington would want to do is tick off women.

And while the Violence Against Women Act passed in the Senate by a healthy bipartisan majority a few hours before President Obama's State of the Union address, the fact that 22 senators -- all Republicans, all men -- voted against it should be troubling to GOP leaders.

And perhaps the most troubling aspect of that is Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, the so-called savior of the Republican Party, was one of those Republican men.

Just think: A few hours before Rubio was to deliver a message reflecting a new Republican Party, he casts a vote that screams more of the same. The jokes about him fidgeting like a 5-year-old and chugging water during the rebuttal will eventually go away. But if he's seriously thinking about running in 2016, that one vote is going to come back to haunt him. Especially if a revitalized Hillary Clinton, and her 18 million cracks in the ceiling, is in the race.

Become a fan of CNNOpinion
Stay up to date on the latest opinion, analysis and conversations through social media. Join us at Facebook/CNNOpinion and follow us @CNNOpinion on Twitter. We welcome your ideas and comments.

In a statement, he said he "could not support the final, entire legislation that contains new provisions that could have potentially adverse consequences. Specifically, this bill would mandate the diversion of a portion of funding from domestic violence programs to sexual assault programs, although there's no evidence to suggest this shift will result in a greater number of convictions."

The Senate-version of reauthorization extends protections to Native Americans, gays and lesbians, and immigrants. It would allow the prosecution of non-Native Americans for abusing Native American women.

Regarding that, Rubio said he voted against the bill because of "concerns regarding the conferring of criminal jurisdiction to some Indian tribal governments over all persons in Indian country, including non-Indians."

Translation: From a political standpoint, Rubio blew it long before he lunged off-camera to grab a swig of water. And Democrats wasted little time pointing this out.

Voting against a bill to help women because you're not happy about the amount of money being spent on domestic violence vs. sexual assault is splitting some pretty fine hairs and just isn't choosing the right fight.

Especially when juxtaposed against the success of the programs.

From the time the act passed through 2010, intimate partner violence declined by 67%. There has also been an increase in the arrests of suspects in domestic and violent sexual crimes. The new legislation has a provision that speeds up DNA analysis in rape cases and a program to fight human trafficking.

And if spending was a concern, the $659 million the Senate approved for Violence Against Women programs for the next five years is actually 17% less than the amount approved in 2005.

How could the face of a new, kinder, women-friendly Republican Party say no to that?

Perhaps the reason why he needed water during the rebuttal is because he got cotton-mouthed listening to his party's resounding approval when Obama mentioned the Senate passing the bill during the State of the Union address. Or maybe he felt a tad faint when House Speaker John Boehner was seen looking over and talking to Vice President Joe Biden -- who co-wrote the first incarnation of the bill nearly 20 years ago -- as he clapped in support.

And trust me, Boehner did not spend a lot of time applauding Obama or talking to Joe.

This week, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, who is spearheading the negotiations of a House bill, and Boehner received a letter from 17 House Republicans urging them to take action, stating that the act's "programs save lives, and we must allow states and communities to build upon the successes of current VAWA programs so that we can help even more people."

The GOP knows that between the embarrassing remarks about rape made by several candidates during the last election cycle, the record 20 seats held by women in the Democratic-held Senate and the 55% of women who voted for Obama, regaining power requires a makeover.

Rubio appeared to be someone who could embody that change, but he didn't do himself any favors Tuesday. Not with his rebuttal and certainly not with this vote.

"Mr. President," Rubio said in his speech, "I don't oppose your plans because I want to protect the rich. I oppose your plans because I want to protect my neighbors."

I'm going to assume none of his neighbors are women.

Neon Washable Paint

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Replies (71-80):
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM
It's apparent you are becoming irritated because I'm not buying what you are peddling. I never said the movement that you speak of doesn't exist. Gallop polls, stats, studies etc...are nice if one needs confirmation and vindication for their existing beliefs. Or clarity about a certain subject. I don't buy into them even if they do support my beliefs.. what really matters to most of us is where we live, what surrounds us in our day to day, our real life experiences that shape and make our lives. This is not selfishness, it's reality, it's natural. If very few females identify as a feminist then it should tell you that the movement has some issues, some flaws that are not drawing more women unto this very slow moving movement. Fiber perhaps?
Quoting mehamil1:

Just because it does not exist anywhere within your reality other than the need to shit, does not mean that it does not actually exist. 

I do not believe in revenge. It has no relevance to me. Does that mean I deny that it exists? No. 

According to Gallop polls, most American women do not identify as feminists. 

Quoting KamWorthy:
You truly do not get that I give no credence to any movement other than a bowel movement?? Really? Most women don't identify as feminists? Seems like the movement might be a little constipated.
Quoting mehamil1:

You truly have no idea what the movement was about. 

Are you aware that most women in this nation do not identify as feminists? 

Quoting KamWorthy:
My views about abortion keep coming up? As I recall I have mentioned it very little, but have spoke about reproductive rights. If you haven't noticed by now, I don't adhere to one directive, or train of thought. You are narrowing most of your thought based on a movement that has only pigeon held women to one track. I do not practice one track mind thinking. There is no such thing. If someone can come up with a movement and many follow suit, then I can certainly come up with a movement that many can relate to as well. I am disappointed that by me mentioning a certain subject one time throughout our engagements that you now seem to be using it as an excuse to think that my only issue with the contradictions of this "movement" you speak of to no longer attempt to see that I'm am vast with my thought process, an never hold to one narrow view.
Quoting NWP:

Exactly what I was saying. The part you stated in red reflects the feminist concept. The rest is conservative talking points.

I understand your feelings about abortion, which keep coming into your conversation, and obviously color your feelings about the movement. However, the movement is about sooooooo much more than that. And this is not an abortion post.

It seems outside that one area, we share some common ground. That is all I am saying.

Quoting KamWorthy:
In this comment you mention that some portions support feminism, some are propaganda and some are incoherent. Let me summarize my stance. I believe in equality for all for those who have earned it. Not for those who cry for it, wish for it, demand it. I believe that there should be absolutely no more, no less rights for one gender over another, no matter the gestation or age of the human being. This includes reproductive rights as well. When I say equal rights for ALL, I actually mean it
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

People on the internet machine do not irritate me. You don't have to buy what I'm selling. Mainly because I'm not selling anything. I'm stating what is. 

Though with your focus on shitting, you might be the irritated one. 

Quoting KamWorthy:
It's apparent you are becoming irritated because I'm not buying what you are peddling. I never said the movement that you speak of doesn't exist. Gallop polls, stats, studies etc...are nice if one needs confirmation and vindication for their existing beliefs. Or clarity about a certain subject. I don't buy into them even if they do support my beliefs.. what really matters to most of us is where we live, what surrounds us in our day to day, our real life experiences that shape and make our lives. This is not selfishness, it's reality, it's natural. If very few females identify as a feminist then it should tell you that the movement has some issues, some flaws that are not drawing more women unto this very slow moving movement. Fiber perhaps?
Quoting mehamil1:

Just because it does not exist anywhere within your reality other than the need to shit, does not mean that it does not actually exist. 

I do not believe in revenge. It has no relevance to me. Does that mean I deny that it exists? No. 

Quoting KamWorthy:
You truly do not get that I give no credence to any movement other than a bowel movement?? Really? Most women don't identify as feminists? Seems like the movement might be a little constipated.
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting KamWorthy:
My views about abortion keep coming up? As I recall I have mentioned it very little, but have spoke about reproductive rights. If you haven't noticed by now, I don't adhere to one directive, or train of thought. You are narrowing most of your thought based on a movement that has only pigeon held women to one track. I do not practice one track mind thinking. There is no such thing. If someone can come up with a movement and many follow suit, then I can certainly come up with a movement that many can relate to as well. I am disappointed that by me mentioning a certain subject one time throughout our engagements that you now seem to be using it as an excuse to think that my only issue with the contradictions of this "movement" you speak of to no longer attempt to see that I'm am vast with my thought process, an never hold to one narrow view.
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Well what do you know....one more thing we have in common.....faceless strangers on the Internet don't promote a rise out of me either. This is purely entertainment for me with the occasional little nugget of useless pop culture trivia. My comments about the feminist movement being constipated was my dry sense of humor at work. FYI: those with above average intelligence and who scored well above 1000 on their SAT's tend to comprehend and find amusing, dry humor
Quoting mehamil1:

People on the internet machine do not irritate me. You don't have to buy what I'm selling. Mainly because I'm not selling anything. I'm stating what is. 

Though with your focus on shitting, you might be the irritated one. 

Quoting KamWorthy:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting KamWorthy:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting KamWorthy:
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM
"Mr. President, I don't oppose your plans because I want to protect the rich. I oppose your plans because I want to protect my neighbors". -Rubio. Now, after this comment the author wrote...."I'm going to assume none of his neighbors are women"...what sort of entitled, self superior comment is that? This article is nothing more than more bitching about how a Republican did not bow down to the all powerful, superior female. He used the word "neighbor" as an all encompassing term. Women don't want that. They don't want to be lumped in with men and children. They scream "equality for all " and yet scream even louder "give me special treatment and rights". This is what people are hearing everytime these so called feminists open their pie holes......"I am woman....what do I want? I don't know....when do I want it? Now!"
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Wow...You really come off as hating women in many of these posts.

That is too bad. I think we are pretty great.

Your loss.

Quoting KamWorthy:

"Mr. President, I don't oppose your plans because I want to protect the rich. I oppose your plans because I want to protect my neighbors". -Rubio. Now, after this comment the author wrote...."I'm going to assume none of his neighbors are women"...what sort of entitled, self superior comment is that? This article is nothing more than more bitching about how a Republican did not bow down to the all powerful, superior female. He used the word "neighbor" as an all encompassing term. Women don't want that. They don't want to be lumped in with men and children. They scream "equality for all " and yet scream even louder "give me special treatment and rights". This is what people are hearing everytime these so called feminists open their pie holes......"I am woman....what do I want? I don't know....when do I want it? Now!"

Neon Washable Paint

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Pigs who hate women & Biden, one & all. I hate Cornyn!

Quoting mikiemom:

Here is the complete list of Male GOP Senators who voted no on the Violence Against Women Act. The only Female senator to not sponsor the bill was a republican but she ended up voting yes on the ammendement. These people just don't get it.

Barrasso (R-WY)
Blunt (R-MO)
Boozman (R-AR)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cruz (R-TX)
Enzi (R-WY)
Graham (R-SC)

Grassley (R-IA)
... Hatch (R-UT)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Johanns (R-NE)
Johnson (R-WI)
Lee (R-UT)
McConnell (R-KY)
Paul (R-KY)

Risch (R-ID)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rubio (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Sessions (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I don't hate women. What I hate are those that think themselves better and more entitled than men and children. It's obvious that you and many others think women are great. That's too bad that you seem to be consumed with that instead of using your voice to share that men and children are equally as great. I'm certain you will come back with "I do think men and children are great too"....but it's not what I'm hearing.im hearing..."I'm more important and deserve to be recognized for it".
Quoting NWP:

Your loss.

Quoting KamWorthy:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I was simply letting you know how you have been coming across in this post. The "women" you describe are not any of the ones I know or have known. You seem to be bitter and to have had bad experiences that color your perspective. I am just happy that I do not share your negative opinions of our gender. Wow...

Quoting KamWorthy:

I don't hate women. What I hate are those that think themselves better and more entitled than men and children. It's obvious that you and many others think women are great. That's too bad that you seem to be consumed with that instead of using your voice to share that men and children are equally as great. I'm certain you will come back with "I do think men and children are great too"....but it's not what I'm hearing.im hearing..."I'm more important and deserve to be recognized for it".

Quoting NWP:

Your loss.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Again, in case you haven't noticed by now, it's not about any one gender. It's about those who hold themselves higher above others than the ought, all while preaching equality for all. I understand your irritation by my staunch desire for true equality because you are one of those individuals I've been referring to. It's hypocritical to say one thing then support another. I've had experiences in my many years of life, both academic and otherwise, that have led me to my current thought process, you act as though that is something out of the ordinary and uncommon. This is how pople learn, glean, and grow. Bitter? No, not since my mid thirties....not insecure or jealous anymore either. This getting old stuff is pretty fantastic. The view from up here is grand and as clear as crystal.
Quoting NWP:

I was simply letting you know how you have been coming across in this post. The "women" you describe are not any of the ones I know or have known. You seem to be bitter and to have had bad experiences that color your perspective. I am just happy that I do not share your negative opinions of our gender. Wow...

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting NWP:

Your loss.

Quoting KamWorthy:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Nearly all your vitriol has been directed at women, which makes you sound as if you have a very real dislike of our shared gender.

I have directed no vitriol at any man, woman or child in this thread..in fact, I have praised my husband many times over. I know no women like those you describe in your comments...

So please explain your comment below in red and provide the statements that lead you to state this as truth.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Again, in case you haven't noticed by now, it's not about any one gender. It's about those who hold themselves higher above others than the ought, all while preaching equality for all. I understand your irritation by my staunch desire for true equality because you are one of those individuals I've been referring to. It's hypocritical to say one thing then support another. I've had experiences in my many years of life, both academic and otherwise, that have led me to my current thought process, you act as though that is something out of the ordinary and uncommon. This is how pople learn, glean, and grow. Bitter? No, not since my mid thirties....not insecure or jealous anymore either. This getting old stuff is pretty fantastic. The view from up here is grand and as clear as crystal.
Quoting NWP:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting NWP:

Your loss.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Neon Washable Paint

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN