Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The High Price of War

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:23 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

Medal of Honor recipient: Taliban 'simply couldn't have' outpost

Staff Sgt. Clinton Romesha was awarded the Medal of Honor for preventing the Taliban from overrunning his outpost in 2009. Tuesday he was inducted into the Pentagon's Hall of Heroes.

By Anna Mulrine, Staff writer / February 12, 2013

President Barack Obama bestows the Medal of Honor on retired Staff Sgt. Clinton Romesha for conspicuous gallantry, Monday, in the East Room of the White House.

Pablo Martinez Monsivais/AP

Washington

It was 6 a.m. on October 3, 2009 when Staff. Sgt. Clinton Romesha and 52 of his fellow soldiers awoke to find their small outpost not far from Afghanistan's border with Pakistan, under attack.

They were outnumbered - eight times over - by more than 400 heavily armed Taliban fighters who had occupied the high ground on all four sides of the small base, nestled on the floor of a tiny valley of the Hindu Kush.

"Four hundred Taliban versus 53 American soldiers. It just doesn't seem fair - to the Taliban," Mr. Romesha joked at a Pentagon ceremony Tuesday, before sounding a somber note. The outpost "was our home," he said, "and they simply couldn't have it."

But they were going to try. The Taliban were raining down fire upon the American troops at Combat Outpost Keating, using rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs), mortars, anti-aircraft machine guns, and small arms to fire into what senior military officials described as a "fish bowl." 

It was a battle that was to last one full day - a day that ultimately became the deadliest of that year for US troops, leaving eight American soldiers dead and 80 percent of the buildings on the base destroyed.

On Monday, in a ceremony at the White House, Romesha, who was wounded in the battle, was awarded the Medal of Honor by President Obama. Mr. Obama cited the now retired staff sergeant's "conspicuous gallantry" and adherence to the code of never leaving behind a fallen comrade as he rallied the American force and called in airstrikes to repel the Taliban attackers.

Staff Sgt. Romesha is an American Hero. But to look at him, my heart just breaks. He is a part of the walking wounded.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
idunno1234
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM
4 moms liked this

This is all so tragic and useless.  Nothing has changed, we are not going to be able to batter people, on their turf, to make them do what is in our best interests.  Think about if another country sent their soldiers and bombs to do the same thing here.  How well would that go over???

I think too many of us don't see or want to think about the physical, emotional and financial toll taken on soldiers and their families.  And for what???  Its all wonderful and good to say they're fighting for our freedom but I would like to know exactly how that is being accomplished today, as we speak....there are and there always will be people who hate the United States.  Being aggressive and violent to further our own agenda certainly won't make it better.

I don't know the answer to all the crap that humans do to each other.  I don't know how to stop it but seriously, since the beginning of the human species we have used violence to stop violence and how has that worked so far??

I know its idealistic but winning over the hearts and minds of people, opening them up to all ideas and possibilities, having them see how they can have a peaceful, maybe even joyous life if violence becomes an unacceptable way of solving disputes frankly makes more sense then killing and creating another generation of haters. 

The most powerful thing we have, as women, is our ability to teach our kids kindness, tolerance, respect, empathy and that violence is NOT an acceptable ends to a means. 

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree. And I wonder if Americans really know why we are there- aside from the BS answer "for our freedom." This young man is dead inside. Yu can see it in his eyes.

I watched the Today show today and he and his wife were on. She was holding and rubbing his hand the whole time. He is still shell-shocked and if it were not for his wife, I am certain he would crumble.

For me, the cost of this war is entirely too high a price. 

Quoting idunno1234:

This is all so tragic and useless.  Nothing has changed, we are not going to be able to batter people, on their turf, to make them do what is in our best interests.  Think about if another country sent their soldiers and bombs to do the same thing here.  How well would that go over???

I think too many of us don't see or want to think about the physical, emotional and financial toll taken on soldiers and their families.  And for what???  Its all wonderful and good to say they're fighting for our freedom but I would like to know exactly how that is being accomplished today, as we speak....there are and there always will be people who hate the United States.  Being aggressive and violent to further our own agenda certainly won't make it better.

I don't know the answer to all the crap that humans do to each other.  I don't know how to stop it but seriously, since the beginning of the human species we have used violence to stop violence and how has that worked so far??

I know its idealistic but winning over the hearts and minds of people, opening them up to all ideas and possibilities, having them see how they can have a peaceful, maybe even joyous life if violence becomes an unacceptable way of solving disputes frankly makes more sense then killing and creating another generation of haters. 

The most powerful thing we have, as women, is our ability to teach our kids kindness, tolerance, respect, empathy and that violence is NOT an acceptable ends to a means. 

lga1965
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Wonderful comments!

Quoting idunno1234:

LuvmyAiden
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Somtimes war is neccassery but we have been in afghanistan too long. More than 10 years at war on two different fronts is TOO much, no good is coming from this. That being said, I do not think that our politicians refusing to pull out makes the sacrifice of our troops any less important. We shouldn't still be there but those who have served in harm's way because their govt. said to still deserve respect.

gammie
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Quoting idunno1234:

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

Somtimes war is neccassery but we have been in afghanistan too long. More than 10 years at war on two different fronts is TOO much, no good is coming from this. That being said, I do not think that our politicians refusing to pull out makes the sacrifice of our troops any less important. We shouldn't still be there but those who have served in harm's way because their govt. said to still deserve respect.

I absolutely agree!

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM

What are you seeing that I'm not seeing?

He looks like he's proudly holding back a flood of tears...

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Have you seen any of the video footage?

I see a man who has been emotionally ravaged by war.

I do not see those tears as proud. I see them as he is a shell of his former self and the flood does not end. He was on the verge of tears during the Today show too. I cried for him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)