Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Top 10 Most/Least Religious States in the Country: 2013 Edition

Posted by   + Show Post

Top 10 Most/Least Religious States in the Country: 2013 Edition

Gallup has just released their annual list of the most and least religious states in the country and there's no real change from the past.

The most religious states (darker green in the map below) are in the same order from last year... while the least religious states (lighter green) gained Hawaii but lost New York:

Mississippi is still the worst place for non-religious Americans to live - 88% of people there call themselves very religious or moderately religious - while Vermont sounds absolutely delightful (only 43% are very or moderately religious while 57% are non-religious):

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Replies (11-19):
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I can say just by looking at the bottom 9 on the list that they are states usually quoted as having good grade and graduation rates.

Alaska on the other hand has an almost 60% dropout rate for the high schools, but there's no way we have so many non religious here considering that i've lived here 10 years and have only met about 5-6 people out of thousands that wasn't super religious.

Quoting ashellbell:

Now we need to see a lost of where all these states rank in education.

Denisethedaring
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Yep, pretty much exactly as I would've guessed if asked.

EveyTri
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Yay. My states are in the top (or bottom) 1/3rd.

For all intents and purposes I think they (NY and CT) are actually less religious even than this shows. There's just a lot of Irish and Italians around and subsequently, a lot of people who are culturally Catholic but not particularly observant. Ditto with Jews. So while on paper they seem more "moderately religious," I would personally guess that many of those classified that way are, in practice, more secular than not.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
We're currently in the midwest (for a job but only a few more months) and we're Jewish. We have someone stop by our door, in a private community, at least once a week with conversion information. This past halloween our front door was covered from top to bottom in pamphlets about accepting jesus into our lives. I'd say this state is religious but we're not the right kind of religious.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:22 PM

very interesting

furbabymum
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I'm rather surprised to find my state so far down the list.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM
My state is in the top ten. Shocker.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
storkradio193
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Interesting, but not surprising.  I imagine even rather religious people in certain communities would not label themselves as religious.  The word can carry certain connotations.

jllcali
by Jane on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Doesn't Mississippi also have the highest teen pregnancy rate? Or maybe they used to. Not sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN