Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama to push universal preschool proposal

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM
  • 352 Replies

Two days after his State of the Union pledge to guarantee high quality preschool for every 4-year-old in the U.S., President Barack Obama takes his pitch on the road on Thursday to an Atlanta suburb where he will deliver a speech on the issue at a local recreation center.

Obama cast his preschool plan as a way to bring low-income and minority children up to speed with higher-income children—a move he says would save taxpayer money and give those children greater opportunity to succeed over their lifetimes.

"Every dollar we invest in high-quality early childhood education can save more than seven dollars later on by boosting graduation rates, reducing teen pregnancy, even reducing violent crime," Obama said in his State of the Union remarks. "In states that make it a priority to educate our youngest children, like Georgia or Oklahoma, studies show students grow up more likely to read and do math at grade level, graduate high school, hold a job, form more stable families of their own."

The president is set to speak at 1:20 p.m. ET at the Decatur Community Recreation Center, after a tour of a local pre-kindergarten classroom.

According to a fact sheet released by the White House on Thursday morning, Obama's preschool plan would create a new federal-state cost-sharing partnership to guarantee high-quality preschool to all low- and moderate-income 4-year-old children, including families that earn up to 200 percent of the poverty level. The program would be extended to middle-class families who may pay on a sliding scale, and would incentivize full-day kindergarten.

The Department of Education will allocate funds to states based on the number of 4-year-olds in each state who qualify. Standards for preschools will include "well-trained teachers, who are paid comparably to K-12 staff," as well as small class size and a rigorous curriculum.

White House officials said the new preschool proposal will not replace or destroy the current Head Start early education government program. Instead, a new early Head Start program will be created to support communities affected by the new preschool proposal.

The White House has not released cost estimates for the new preschool plan. The president has said this proposal and others announced in his address would not add to the federal deficit

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM
24 moms liked this
Yes, they need to start the progressive brainwashing sooner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM
7 moms liked this

You mean education? Those pesky facts are always so bias on the progressive side?

Quoting Carpy:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM
10 moms liked this

The poor and disabled already get free pre-school.

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM
12 moms liked this

You betcha.   They are losing some of them because they don't start it soon enough.    Also, homeschooling is up and they are losing all of them.

Quoting Carpy:

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM
4 moms liked this

The head start program that is in place now is a joke, it is nothing more then funded babysitting, unless you are low income you can not even fill out the application.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

You mean education? Those pesky facts are always so bias on the progressive side?

Quoting Carpy:

kameka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM
16 moms liked this
I would love this. We make too much for HeadStart or the low income public school option but there is no way we can pay $500 a month for private preschool.
I fully support this and anyone who thinks that more education equals brainwashing is off their rocker.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM
4 moms liked this

If middle and upper class "pay on a sliding scale", why on earth wouldn't they just pay for private preschool? God knows I would.

If they're trying to push this proposal, it would make more sense to offer it free across the board. If I have to pay, I'm going to opt for private, as would most people I know.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM
9 moms liked this

So then why don't we just start it at one?  I mean, since we need the government to provide everything.

No one needs preschool.   It is awesome if you can attend, but we cannot afford as a nation to keep kids in school from 3-18.

Quoting kameka:

I would love this. We make too much for HeadStart or the low income public school option but there is no way we can pay $500 a month for private preschool.
I fully support this and anyone who thinks that more education equals brainwashing is off their rocker.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I am all for education. But why not pay for private preschool? Do you know how hard it is going to be for middle class families to get into this program? the tution maybe a little less, but not by much for the middles class?

Quoting kameka:

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree 100%.

Quoting talia-mom:

So then why don't we just start it at one?  I mean, since we need the government to provide everything.

No one needs preschool.   It is awesome if you can attend, but we cannot afford as a nation to keep kids in school from 3-18.

Quoting kameka:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)