Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I plan on being a stay at home mom until I retire.

Posted by   + Show Post

I love being a stay at home mom. The kids benefit and I'm fulfilled. What could be a better combination? The only issue is pay. But now I discovered how I can do what I love and get paid for it too

I'm going to be a nanny. Because after all, what is a nanny but a stand in mom while the parents are at work? I'll get to do everything I do do now, except get a pay check and have the luxery of giving the kids back at the end of the day,lol.

What do you think?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Replies (241-249):
grandmab125
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Sounds like she should have stayed with you.  Expectations have to be different when you leave your children in someone else's home vs. having the care taker in your home.  I could see her being upset if you let your kids watch tv all day, and her child were a toddler or something...but geesh, a baby?  My daughter and hubbie were anti-tv fanatics with the first one. They wouldn't even have the news on when she was up...no tv on.  When she came to my house, or her dad's or sister's, she would turn off our tvs.  Then with the second one, she let up a little.  Now with the baby, 2 yrs old, they all watch a kid movie on Friday nights.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting grandmab125:

When a person is paying someone else to come to thier home to care for thier kids, them they do not want (in most cases) to bring their own children.  The sitter/nanny/day care worker, whatever she calls herself is being paid to care for her employer's children only, not those kids and hers too.

If the person cares for your child in her home, and she has children, then you know that, and your expectations should be different.

That being said, people should interview their children's care taker extensively before hiring them.  The employer needs to explain exactly how she wants things done, and if the prospective employee can't accommodate her, then it's a deal breaker.  The prospective employee also needs to explain how she does things so that there can be a meeting of the minds....so that they understand each other before the arrangement starts.  So the reverse is true.

Out of curiosity, what did she expect you to do?

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting grandmab125:

I would say it's because when people are paying you, they don't want you distracted by your own children.  You are being paid to watch theirs...not theirs and yours.

Quoting WheelerWife:

If you can swing it with your kids and being a nanny, go for it.

Where I live all the nanny jobs advertise that you can NOT bring your kiddos. Honestly, it irks me because I see no reason for me to parent another person's child while mine go without mom (only while I'd be working, of course.) I suppose they figure that you'll play favorites. 

Good luck!!! 

I was babysitting for my neighbor's kid last year in my home and we had issues. She had expectations that I do things differently for her kid because she was paying me so I told her to tke him elsewhere. Sadly she's on her 3rd daycare provider. Luckily we're still friends.

She didn't like that I put the TV on for 20-30 minutes for my kids to watch while I prepared dinner. Her son was often in the same room as the TV but not necessarily watching. I have a TV in the kitchen that swivels toward the dining room. It wasn't enough that he wasn't facing the TV she requested that I not turn it on. There were times he was in his bouncy chair in the family room (around the corner) while my kids watched TV. The real deal breaker was when she arrived to pick up her son and my daughter had a friend over. She told me she wasn't paying me to watch her kid and my daughter's friends too. Now she pays $180 a week for her son to be in daycare with 7 other kids. I oly charged her $125. In all seriousness, it was a mistake from the get go and I should have just declined.

grandma B

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Quoting sneffy014:

Quoting paganbaby:

That's great :-)

How long has she been a nanny for?

Quoting sneffy014:

My stepdaughter is a Nanny and loves it. Best of luck to you :)

She's been a full-time nanny for about 6 or 7 years now. She will be 31 soon. She absolutely loves it and makes a pretty good salary. She works in an affluent area in Georgia.  My only gripe is that she has put off having children of her own. I am looking forward to being a grandma someday but hopefully not anytime soon from my 15 year old. :)

I hope she gives you some gradbabies soon,lol. And that's good to hear that she makes a good salery. I've heard from a lot of people that nanny's don't make very much. Reason being the parents pay them out of their own check. Makes me a little nervous but I still want to try.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Redwall
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I was a stay at home mom...still am, although due to the economy, by adult sons live here.  I LOVE the bad economy.  The only extra money I make is dogsitting and cleaning for the lady across the street.  I allows me a semi decent amount of money to buy things that I'd not otherwise have.

ogadimma
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Do you have children of your own ?

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Yes...it is cafemom after all,lol.

Quoting ogadimma:

Do you have children of your own ?

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Sarcasm? lol

Quoting Redwall:

I was a stay at home mom...still am, although due to the economy, by adult sons live here.  I LOVE the bad economy.  The only extra money I make is dogsitting and cleaning for the lady across the street.  I allows me a semi decent amount of money to buy things that I'd not otherwise have.

Stamatina79
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
A full time nanny is so a stand in mom. I think it's selfish of a mother to want her babies nanny to be aloof and distant. babies need closeness.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I love being a SAHM.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I so agree! And i would feel the same way if I had a nanny too.

Quoting Stamatina79:

A full time nanny is so a stand in mom. I think it's selfish of a mother to want her babies nanny to be aloof and distant. babies need closeness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)