Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gay marriage passes Illinois Senate

Posted by   + Show Post

On a mostly party-line vote of 34 to 21, with two abstentions, the Illinois Senate Thursday afternoon approved legislation to authorize same-sex marriage in the state.

The measure now goes to the House, where opposition is believed to be somewhat stronger.

Passage came after a two-hour final debate filled with some strong words on both sides, with foes generally arguing that religious rights would be trampled, and the other side depicting the issue as a matter of ending discrimination.

"People have been discriminated against by our own laws," said Sen. Martin Sandovol, D-Chicago, a former seminarian. "This is a great day. . . .We represent all of the people."

Sen. Kyle McCarter, R-Lebanon, responded that not only religious rights but also those of people who do not want to participate in homosexual unions would be endangered. He predicted that florists, bed-and-breakfast inns and others would shut down rather than serve gay couples. "Marriage is meant to between man and woman," he said.

But majority Democrats replied with tales and anecdotes of their own.

Sen. Daniel Biss of Evanston talked about how he discussed this with his 4-year-old. Sen. Kwame Raoul of Chicago said he, too, discriminated as a young man until he realized that "there was a time in America when I'd be considered three-fifths of a man." Chief sponsor Sen. Heather Steans of Chicago said she learned "how much hate is out there" in working on the bill with the openly gay chief House sponsor, Chicago Democrat Greg Harris.

Thirty votes were needed for Senate passage. If the bill passes the House and is signed into law, Illinois would become the 10th state to allow gay marriage. (Here's the roll call.)

Senate President John Cullerton, a bill backer, intentionally scheduled the vote for today, Valentine's Day.

Sponsors have not yet laid out a timetable for House consideration. The measure has the strong backing of Gov. Pat Quinn and Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
celestegood
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM
yay!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM
awww

Quoting mehamil1:

I'm so proud of my state right now. 

I asked my best friend to marry me. She said yes. YAY!! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Yay!

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:27 PM
5 moms liked this

The only nastiness I see here is coming from you.

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

America is becoming the new Amsterdam.  I can feel it and see it.  People have changed - there's such a greedy, instant satisfication hunger and cold hearted demeanor spreading across this country like a disease.  I miss those days when this country for the most part, was wholesome, family oriented and united. 

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
Ravishing_dame
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Exuse me?  How am I being nasty?  I'm just clearly stating the sadness I feel with how the country I once loved is becoming some immoral, greedy and ununited country. 

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Woot woot! One step closer to marriage equality for all!

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM
4 moms liked this

Calling gays immoral is nasty.

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Exuse me?  How am I being nasty?  I'm just clearly stating the sadness I feel with how the country I once loved is becoming some immoral, greedy and ununited country. 

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Great!!!!

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think we're in the same nation. There's always been a certain level of division. Can't help it when there are two political parties with deep lines in the sand about who is where. 

I also don't think you are aware of history. Are you one of those people who watch movies and tv shows made way back when? Times really were not that happy. There was just more censorship in the media. Shit royally sucked hard back then. Really hard. 

Also, what does this have to do with gays getting married? This is a happy occasion. 

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM
3 moms liked this
I can bake you the biggest gayest wedding cake you and your bride have ever seen!

Quoting mehamil1:

I'm so proud of my state right now. 

I asked my best friend to marry me. She said yes. YAY!! 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured