Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gay marriage passes Illinois Senate

Posted by   + Show Post

On a mostly party-line vote of 34 to 21, with two abstentions, the Illinois Senate Thursday afternoon approved legislation to authorize same-sex marriage in the state.

The measure now goes to the House, where opposition is believed to be somewhat stronger.

Passage came after a two-hour final debate filled with some strong words on both sides, with foes generally arguing that religious rights would be trampled, and the other side depicting the issue as a matter of ending discrimination.

"People have been discriminated against by our own laws," said Sen. Martin Sandovol, D-Chicago, a former seminarian. "This is a great day. . . .We represent all of the people."

Sen. Kyle McCarter, R-Lebanon, responded that not only religious rights but also those of people who do not want to participate in homosexual unions would be endangered. He predicted that florists, bed-and-breakfast inns and others would shut down rather than serve gay couples. "Marriage is meant to between man and woman," he said.

But majority Democrats replied with tales and anecdotes of their own.

Sen. Daniel Biss of Evanston talked about how he discussed this with his 4-year-old. Sen. Kwame Raoul of Chicago said he, too, discriminated as a young man until he realized that "there was a time in America when I'd be considered three-fifths of a man." Chief sponsor Sen. Heather Steans of Chicago said she learned "how much hate is out there" in working on the bill with the openly gay chief House sponsor, Chicago Democrat Greg Harris.

Thirty votes were needed for Senate passage. If the bill passes the House and is signed into law, Illinois would become the 10th state to allow gay marriage. (Here's the roll call.)

Senate President John Cullerton, a bill backer, intentionally scheduled the vote for today, Valentine's Day.

Sponsors have not yet laid out a timetable for House consideration. The measure has the strong backing of Gov. Pat Quinn and Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Replies (101-110):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM
It's been awhile for me too! I would totally take my kids!!

Quoting lizmarie1975:

I LOVE Amsterdam. It's been about 8 years since I've been there but I cannot wait to go back and bring my kids.

Quoting Momniscient:

Amsterdam is nice. Happy place. Well taken care of populace.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

America is becoming the new Amsterdam.  I can feel it and see it.  People have changed - there's such a greedy, instant satisfication hunger and cold hearted demeanor spreading across this country like a disease.  I miss those days when this country for the most part, was wholesome, family oriented and united. 

Oh my.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to go to Amsterdam

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I see the 'Ravishing Dame' is too busy trying to keep the unworthy people out of her life and has not bothered to reappear and answer the questions asked of her.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Good to hear. A step in the right direction.
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Quoting Sekirei:

Me too, not sure about taking kids. Would be a fun place for growns ups to have some fun = P

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I see the 'Ravishing Dame' is too busy trying to keep the unworthy people out of her life and has not bothered to reappear and answer the questions asked of her.

Trolling is tough work = )

It is nice to see the changes and evolving opinions on such rights.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Sekirei:

Me too, not sure about taking kids. Would be a fun place for growns ups to have some fun = P

My husband was there when he was about 10 or 11... lol

But, yeah... adult fun.. like brownies.

irishgal63
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I 'm  from  ILL.  originally, ( I  moved  to  Idaho  in  June  2008) .  I  am  for  EQUAL  RIGHTS, this  includes

'same-sex  marriage'  !   I  hope  it  will  pass . (&  yes, I 'm  heterosexual) .

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Its a good start but what will happen once it gets to the House?

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Sekirei:

we were there in 1981, with kids.  :-) Its a lovely city. We were there without kids in 1973 but didn't know what was there. LOL. Naive.Innocent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured