Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Gay marriage passes Illinois Senate

Posted by   + Show Post

On a mostly party-line vote of 34 to 21, with two abstentions, the Illinois Senate Thursday afternoon approved legislation to authorize same-sex marriage in the state.

The measure now goes to the House, where opposition is believed to be somewhat stronger.

Passage came after a two-hour final debate filled with some strong words on both sides, with foes generally arguing that religious rights would be trampled, and the other side depicting the issue as a matter of ending discrimination.

"People have been discriminated against by our own laws," said Sen. Martin Sandovol, D-Chicago, a former seminarian. "This is a great day. . . .We represent all of the people."

Sen. Kyle McCarter, R-Lebanon, responded that not only religious rights but also those of people who do not want to participate in homosexual unions would be endangered. He predicted that florists, bed-and-breakfast inns and others would shut down rather than serve gay couples. "Marriage is meant to between man and woman," he said.

But majority Democrats replied with tales and anecdotes of their own.

Sen. Daniel Biss of Evanston talked about how he discussed this with his 4-year-old. Sen. Kwame Raoul of Chicago said he, too, discriminated as a young man until he realized that "there was a time in America when I'd be considered three-fifths of a man." Chief sponsor Sen. Heather Steans of Chicago said she learned "how much hate is out there" in working on the bill with the openly gay chief House sponsor, Chicago Democrat Greg Harris.

Thirty votes were needed for Senate passage. If the bill passes the House and is signed into law, Illinois would become the 10th state to allow gay marriage. (Here's the roll call.)

Senate President John Cullerton, a bill backer, intentionally scheduled the vote for today, Valentine's Day.

Sponsors have not yet laid out a timetable for House consideration. The measure has the strong backing of Gov. Pat Quinn and Mayor Rahm Emanuel.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Replies (111-114):
lga1965
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting chloedee:

Huh? Who is proposing only rich white gay people will be able to have children?

Quoting 12hellokitty:

So how is that going to work?  Are Children now going to become an entitlement?  It won't be fair if only the rich white gays can afford to have children.  

Quoting Momniscient:

Soooo.... Creating more families isn't family oriented?

Lol. What a crock.

That was nasty. Gay marriage certainly wasn't instant nor is it satisfactory at this point.

Quoting Euphoric:

The only nastiness I see here is coming from you.

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

America is becoming the new Amsterdam.  I can feel it and see it.  People have changed - there's such a greedy, instant satisfication hunger and cold hearted demeanor spreading across this country like a disease.  I miss those days when this country for the most part, was wholesome, family oriented and united. 

Thank Bob, I'm not the only one who didn't get that mess.

Whats not to get?  How are poor gay couples going to pay for all the cost associated with having children?  Or do they not have the same rights as heterosexual couples in having children?  

How do heterosexuals pay for all the costs of having children?

lga1965
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Friday:

Plenty of same sex couples DID pay to jump thru the legal hoops that $50 gave me and dh with a marriage license and were still denied access when it came down to it.

I'll give you credit, I'm impressed with the new and ridiculous arguments y'all come up with to oppose same sex marriage.

Why are you assuming I'm coming up with these arguments, and not that this is what is happening in countries that have legalized SSM? 

Because I've never heard or read of your 'arguments' before. I would imagine it would have made the news if this was a real issue. IF by some chance it has been an actual problem I'm sure we will find a way to work things out. It's certainly no excuse to prevent same sex marriage.

Not sure why people are complicating my question.  All I was asking was if gay couples are entitled to have children.  I'll take people responses as being a no. 

Gay couples are "entitled" to have children. They have the right to children. And they already DO have children.

You knew that.

caito
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM

You wanna go back to the days when anyone who wasn't white was treated as a second-class citizen and women were expected to stay barefoot and pregnant?

Good luck with that.

Quoting Ravishing_dame:

Exuse me?  How am I being nasty?  I'm just clearly stating the sadness I feel with how the country I once loved is becoming some immoral, greedy and ununited country. 

KrissyV
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM

People are always going to have different opinions about gay marriage.  Calling people names and getting angry at them isn't going to change their minds.  Regardless of your opinions laws like this will pass and it certainly isn't my place or anyone else's to tell someone else what their love life should be like. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN