Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feminism and the Disposable Male

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM
  • 33 Replies

This is a topic that has been swimming around in my head for a few weeks now, ever since my hubs began watching a series of videos made by YouTuber "Girlwirteswhat".

I can see some of her points at times, and others I vehemently disagree with her. And then there are times I really can't form an opinion either way because sometimes she just speaks in a way that sounds like word salad to me. My hubs is quite defensive of her and her videos, so we have been throwing around our ideas about the things she says. Perhaps I am taking her out of context, I don't know.

I don't consider myself to really be a feminist, nor do I think the majority of women are feminists. But I keep getting the idea from her that she is painting women with a rather broad brush, and that we are all simply out to destroy the men of planet Earth, so we can take it all for ourselves.

I wanted to dig a little to get some more info on her. She seems to align herself with "A Voice for Men", an online forum for men who have had some bad experiences with women. I read through some things, and I can see that some of these men are very angry and hurting. But I also came across some things on the site that just came across as disgusting to me. Mostly it is shades of pure misogyny. These things included picutures of battered women captioned "Cha Ching!"  or "Maybe she DID have it coming". There is also a FB page.

I don't argue that feminism has its faults, and that it has in part caused men to want to take a step away from marriage or fatherhood. But to me it sounds like she is trying to say that we women have always had the upper hand since the dawn of time. In another video she implies that all of our sufferage was "wanting something for nothing", or "wanting the same rights that only men were willing to work for". Yet another one I listened in on was saying that we simply wanted the right to vote "for our own comfort and security" and not for the greater good. With everything we have had to fight for, I find that very hard to swallow.  I'm not really trying to argue with anyone over this because I am still kind of trying to figure her out myself. But I have been very curious about the thoughts of you ladies here on CM.

I really did try linking some video here but it doesn't want to let me. Tried everything. Idk.

Do you think feminism is becoming the downfall of the world?

Just wanted to add that even though I am not a feminist, I don't have anything against those who are. I don't think anyone should have to apologize for being so.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TugBoatMama
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM

bump

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM
3 moms liked this
Short answer: No. I don't believe feminism is the downfall of the world.

I'm very curious what rights they believe men had to "fight" for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM
To your question, No. Feminism is not the downfall of world.
As to the youtuber, I don't understand what this means: "wanting the same rights that only men were willing to work for". ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM
7 moms liked this

Being a feminist requires no apology IMO.  Of course, I'm a feminist, and married to a man and so obviously not a man-hater, and my husband is also a feminist.  I think many men who hate feminists fear women and women's sexuality in general--maybe they don't think they can get laid--at least by the women they want--without the advantage.  Pure speculation on my part.   At any rate, the world is still standing in our little neck of the woods, and DH tells me he's happy. 

It is always painful for a privileged group to lose those privileges and stand on a level playing field, but emotionally mature adults understand why the change has to happen and adjust.   

4music
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:07 PM
9 moms liked this
I find that most people don't even know what feminism is. It is literally the advocacy of equal financial, political and social rights for women.
I personally enjoy doing things like being able to vote, own property, choose if/who i wed...etc... You know, not being deemed property to be managed or currency to be traded because i happen to have a vagina.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope! (Proud feminist here!!)

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I do think many men are made to feel like disposable sperm donors...but how much of that do they contribute to the equation?

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

OP, if you are trying to post from youtube, try this...copy/paste your link into the submission box, then check back to the beginning of it to see if the http copied as https. If it did, then delete the s before you hit submit. It works for me.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM
3 moms liked this

As for your post, I would be very concerned if my husband was forming his opinions about women, how they should act/think/behave/be treated by men from someone who comes across as you describe.

Teachandrun4
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 4music:

I find that most people don't even know what feminism is. It is literally the advocacy of equal financial, political and social rights for women.
I personally enjoy doing things like being able to vote, own property, choose if/who i wed...etc... You know, not being deemed property to be managed or currency to be traded because i happen to have a vagina.

I have to agree that most people are confused about feminism.  I for one want all the comforts I can get.  I think that somethings are just for the male gender. I do not want to carry a 250 LBS person, like some firefighters have to.  I do not want to leave my children and go to fight in combat.

So women we must think long and hard about what we are asking when we say equal right in everything.  Men cannot yet have babies therefore women are doing most if not all of the work.

There are few women that can leave their newborn to a male and not worry about how the child is care for.

Just an opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured