Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Feminism and the Disposable Male

Posted by   + Show Post

This is a topic that has been swimming around in my head for a few weeks now, ever since my hubs began watching a series of videos made by YouTuber "Girlwirteswhat".

I can see some of her points at times, and others I vehemently disagree with her. And then there are times I really can't form an opinion either way because sometimes she just speaks in a way that sounds like word salad to me. My hubs is quite defensive of her and her videos, so we have been throwing around our ideas about the things she says. Perhaps I am taking her out of context, I don't know.

I don't consider myself to really be a feminist, nor do I think the majority of women are feminists. But I keep getting the idea from her that she is painting women with a rather broad brush, and that we are all simply out to destroy the men of planet Earth, so we can take it all for ourselves.

I wanted to dig a little to get some more info on her. She seems to align herself with "A Voice for Men", an online forum for men who have had some bad experiences with women. I read through some things, and I can see that some of these men are very angry and hurting. But I also came across some things on the site that just came across as disgusting to me. Mostly it is shades of pure misogyny. These things included picutures of battered women captioned "Cha Ching!"  or "Maybe she DID have it coming". There is also a FB page.

I don't argue that feminism has its faults, and that it has in part caused men to want to take a step away from marriage or fatherhood. But to me it sounds like she is trying to say that we women have always had the upper hand since the dawn of time. In another video she implies that all of our sufferage was "wanting something for nothing", or "wanting the same rights that only men were willing to work for". Yet another one I listened in on was saying that we simply wanted the right to vote "for our own comfort and security" and not for the greater good. With everything we have had to fight for, I find that very hard to swallow.  I'm not really trying to argue with anyone over this because I am still kind of trying to figure her out myself. But I have been very curious about the thoughts of you ladies here on CM.

I really did try linking some video here but it doesn't want to let me. Tried everything. Idk.

Do you think feminism is becoming the downfall of the world?

Just wanted to add that even though I am not a feminist, I don't have anything against those who are. I don't think anyone should have to apologize for being so.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Replies (31-33):
Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Feminism gets taken to extremes just like everything else. I think the suffrage movement was great, and I'm thankful for all those women went through so I can have equal rights today. It's just basic equality. It's not the downfall of the world.

That being said, it does bug me when women complain about little things, like men opening a door for them for example. That's just a common courtesy that doesn't really do any harm, and even if it had its roots in men "protecting the weaker sex" I don't think that's what every man is thinking every time he opens a door for a woman. I feel it's such a trivial thing to complain about, but that's just me. I guess I just don't like when good things start getting trivial or losing focus of what the original idea was.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I am interested in watching the videos to see what it is that she's saying.  I would say that the feminist movement had a very good reason for starting.  Women should have the right to belong to noone but themselves, and make whatever choices they feel are right.  SOME women have taken it a step further.  I hear a lot of "I don't need a man" and "I don't want to be JUSt a mom" etc.  The extreme feminists have attempted to create a society in which men have no place except at their feet, and women who choose to stay home and raise children are looked down on for their choices.  This is not the majority, but I have met many such women, both in real life, and on public forums such as CM.  I think that these women, in their quest to be seen as the SAME as men (as opposed to equality), have lost what it is that makes them women... their femininity  Being a feminist doesn't mean you have to be a single woman making a butt load of money in a big career.  It means you have the choice to, or, if that isn't your cup of tea, you can be a married woman with children that you stay at home with.  The extreme version of feminism causes men to lose what it is that makes them men.  As these women appear to be stronger, so strong that they "don't need a man", men have lost their place in their world, become weak and lazy, because women don't want them to do anything but lay there and look pretty, and maybe have sex with them if the woman so decides to allow it.  Like I said, that's not everyone, obviously, or even the majority, but these may be the type of women that the lady in your videos are talking about.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN