Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pure discrimination

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM
  • 59 Replies

I cannot believe a school would have the gall to do this and then tell a parent that.   This country is so screwed.

Parents Complain About School Ad Excluding Whites From Tutoring Program

AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – A school principal said no white children were allowed at an after-school tutoring program, and now some parents call it discrimination. The principal at Mission Viejo Elementary in Aurora sent a letter telling parents the program is only for students of color. Parents CBS4 talked with said they were shocked to see, in this day and age, what they consider to be segregation.

“I was infuriated. I didn’t understand why they would include or exclude certain groups,” said parent Nicole Cox, who is white.

Cox’s 10-year-old daughter needs tutoring. After receiving the notice, other parents complained to the school’s principal, Andre Pearson.

“We have come so far in all of these years to show everybody that everyone is equal, that everyone should be treated equally … this is a form of bullying,” Cox said.

Before Cox could complain to the school, Pearson contacted her directly. His voicemail only seemed to reinforce the segregated tutoring idea.

“This is Andre Pearson. It’s focused for and designed for children of color, but certainly, if we have space for other kids who have needs, we can definitely meet those needs,” Pearson told Cox in the voicemail.

(credit: CBS)

TRENDING
TRENDING
MARIJUANA IN COLORADO
PHOTO GALLERY

Pearson declined to comment on camera, but a district spokesperson claims it was all just a big misunderstanding.

“I think what the answer is, is that he made a mistake,” Tustin Amole with the Cherry Creek School District told CBS4.

The new tutoring program was started by parents of minority students to help bridge the achievement gap.

An image of the ad (credit: CBS)

An image of the ad (credit: CBS)

The district is now clarifying that the program wasn’t meant to segregate anyone.

“But we have had lots of students sign up for the tutoring. Many of them are white and we will be accepting all of them,” Amole said.

“I just want everybody to be treated equally,” Cox said.

The new tutoring program began Wednesday. CBS4 was told a letter would be going out to parents to clarify the error that was made.

Yeah, oops.   We didn't think anyone would notice.    Shit.

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Bump for now because Wow. I have to read this when I have more time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Boldly blatant and unacceptable. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM
3 moms liked this

meh...we have specific tutoring for cultural groups and then a for all tutoring.

Recognising the specific difficulties that children of a specific cultural background changes from the needs of the mainstream kids.

we dont call it pure discrimination...we call it recognising and acknowledging those difficulties and acting upon it.

KristenFowles
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM
4 moms liked this

I believe it.  When I wanted to go to the same middle school as my best friend, my mother was told, "We are no longer accepting white students for this school year."    Funny that that's okay to just out and say, but try and say that about another race..

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

What the hell???

This is so wrong.  They knew exactly what they were doing, they meant to exclude and now they are attempting to backtrack.

Did they really think some one would not notice?

This speaks volumes about this school and the district.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Except we don't discriminate like that here.

Her daughter deserve the same tutoring as minorities.

Quoting turtle68:

meh...we have specific tutoring for cultural groups and then a for all tutoring.

Recognising the specific difficulties that children of a specific cultural background changes from the needs of the mainstream kids.

we dont call it pure discrimination...we call it recognising and acknowledging those difficulties and acting upon it.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM
7 moms liked this

Please if this note said sorry we are not accepting mexican or african american kids that school would be sued in a heart beat and outrage would pour across the country. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would march on that school and claim nothing has changed since the 1950's.

Quoting turtle68:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Like I said ...there are two groups so that the cirriculum can reflect the needs of the students requiring tutoring.

The school made a mistake and corrected it....what else do you want?

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting turtle68:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

That they don't think white people should be allowed only if there is room is what I want to change.

This principal would not have allowed her daughter to attend if the blatant discrimination wasn't made public.

Do you really think someone needs to go public to make sure your child gets the same treatment as others?   Or should it just happen?

Quoting turtle68:

Like I said ...there are two groups so that the cirriculum can reflect the needs of the students requiring tutoring.

The school made a mistake and corrected it....what else do you want?

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting turtle68:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM

This never should have happened to begin with.  They can 'apologize' and they can make room for the white kids, but it is clear where they stand. 

I would pull my kid from this school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN