Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

s/o Unsafe areas to drive post: Is it racist to say there are areas you won't drive in for safety reasons?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 183 Replies

Is it racist to say there are geographical areas you won't drive in for safety reasons?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jlo1313
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM
7 moms liked this

No, some of the scariest people I know are white!  

Numom61507
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:07 PM
7 moms liked this

Only if your reasons for not going there are racist.. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM
10 moms liked this

We chose our community based on the school district and all around safety. There are plenty of places I do not wish to go in or out of my vehicle. If that makes me a bigot toward people who make me feel unsafe I'm okay with that.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM
9 moms liked this

Uh, no.  Bad areas are bad areas, regardless of the color of the people in them.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jlo1313:

Well there could be areas of dangerous white people, so would it be racist to not drive through areas in which these people live?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know if it is or not but I do know there are areas I am not going to drive in.

Here where I am, in Lakewood, WA.......after being out in town (off the base) just two times, I can tell you I would not feel to comfortable out and about late at night.  I don't care if some one feels that is racist or not.  This areas appears to be very diverse.  

katy_kay08
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:19 PM
9 moms liked this
I guess it would depend on the reason you avoid those areas and if it is based on actual statistics that show the area has an elevated rate of crime or if its based on a perceived threat based on the demographics of the neighborhood.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlo1313
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM
2 moms liked this

No, misinformation breeds fear.  I have lived in big cities and tiny towns from the west coast to the east coast in my lifetime and I grew up in the midwest, I have learned 1 thing, if you are broken down in the country, thank the almighty stars that someone invented the cell phone.  You should always rely on that and a good friend to come get you before you walk up to farmer Jack's house at 2am.  If you can turn around and go back to the city and ask the 10 black people hanging out in on the front stoop, do that...there are witnesses and someone will eventually find your body if the unmentionable actually happens to you.  

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting jlo1313:

Well there could be areas of dangerous white people, so would it be racist to not drive through areas in which these people live?

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM

No, I do not care for any places where there is gang like dressed kids and homeless roaming around at night. Black white or purple I just don't care for it. I do however know where a homeless family was that was in a better area that I would bring food too. So sad but if the neighborhood looks like trash that means that people do not give a crap about their area which equals nothing good is waiting for you here.

fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Hell fucking no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)