Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ACLU Loses Ten Commandments Case

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:52 AM
  • 97 Replies
3 moms liked this

Thou shall not remove the Ten Commandments.

That’s the declaration from a federal district court – dismissing a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union against Dixie County, Fla. and ending a six-year legal battle.

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR NEWS. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!

The ACLU sued the county after they allowed a private citizen to erect a six-ton monument of the Ten Commandments atop the steps of the courthouse.Dixie County Ten Commandments monument

A 75-year-old North Carolina man, who happens to be an ACLU member, objected to the monument – which led to the lawsuit.

Liberty Counsel represented the county and challenged the ACLU’s standing to bring a suit on behalf of a member who lives hundreds of miles away from the monument.”

Senior District Judge Maurice Paul dismissed the case after the ACLU admitted that their client did not plan to buy property in Dixie County and therefore lacks standing to sue.

In addition to dismissing the case, the ACLU will be responsible for several thousand dollars in court costs.

“This was a great victory,” Liberty Counsel Founder Mathew Staver told Fox News. “What it says about the bully tactics by the ACLU is that if you resist them, you can win.”

“The usual way they win is my intimidation or default – when the government officials cave in under the threat of a lawsuit,” Staver said.

The county had a policy that allowed private citizens to put up different kinds of displays – including the religious monuments.

Harry Mihet, senior litigation counsel for Liberty Counsel, said the ACLU got caught with its hands in the “constitutional cookie jar.”

“It’s prolonged campaign against the good citizens of Dixie County has come to a screeching halt,” he said. “In getting kicked out of court, the ACLU has learned that it cannot impose its San Francisco values upon a small town in Florida – using a phantom member from North Carolina.

The ACLU did not return calls seeking comment.

source

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:03 AM
7 moms liked this

What a shame that religious people can't respect the Constitution or the Rights of others. They're all about tolerance as long as they're getting their way but I bet you if someone wanted to place a plaque with the commandments from the Egyptian Book of the Dead (which predates the biblical commandments) Christians would be throwing a shit fit.

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:07 AM
10 moms liked this

What a shame that someone who doesn't even live there would try to stop the people that do from keeping up a monument they actually wanted up.   Glad they told the ACLU to pay thousands of dollars worth of court costs.  

Quoting IhartU:

What a shame that religious people can't respect the Constitution or the Rights of others. They're all about tolerance as long as they're getting their way but I bet you if someone wanted to place a plaque with the commandments from the Egyptian Book of the Dead (which predates the biblical commandments) Christians would be throwing a shit fit.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:13 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting candlegal:

What a shame that someone who doesn't even live there would try to stop the people that do from keeping up a monument they actually wanted up.   Glad they told the ACLU to pay thousands of dollars worth of court costs.  

Quoting IhartU:

Doesn't matter if they wanted it up what matters is that it's unconstitutional to do so. It's a shame the ACLU even has to point it out in a lawsuit to begin with. It's common sense and consideration for other Americans- something I've come to realize some religious people don't have. With them it's all about ME ME ME. They're fine with shoving their god onto others and pissing on the Constitution but you can bet they'd be all up in arms if the same was done to them.

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:20 AM
3 moms liked this

Kind of funny that with many of these cases, the "offended" person doesn't even live there.   That is kind of telling, isn't it especially when the townspeople don't object to it.  So do you think it is okay for people to just come in and sue a town, city, etc. over something that has nothing to do with them in any way that they don't even have to see. Speaking of me me me.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting IhartU:

Doesn't matter if they wanted it up what matters is that it's unconstitutional to do so. It's a shame the ACLU even has to point it out in a lawsuit to begin with. It's common sense and consideration for other Americans- something I've come to realize some religious people don't have. With them it's all about ME ME ME. They're fine with shoving their god onto others and pissing on the Constitution but you can bet they'd be all up in arms if the same was done to them.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:32 AM
6 moms liked this
And when someone that does live there asks for it to change, you, and others like you, will change your argument to majority rules. Same elitist BS, different day.
It's unconstitutional. Period. Until they take it down, or represent all religious beliefs, it will be a government court house endorsing one religion.

Quoting candlegal:

Kind of funny that with many of these cases, the "offended" person doesn't even live there.   That is kind of telling, isn't it especially when the townspeople don't object to it.  So do you think it is okay for people to just come in and sue a town, city, etc. over something that has nothing to do with them in any way that they don't even have to see. Speaking of me me me.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting IhartU:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:35 AM
3 moms liked this

I guess it wouldn't occur to you that people that have other religious views  haven't wanted to put up anything.   I don't think they would have a problem with it if they did. 

I also am guessing that you think it is ok for an outsider to come in and sue them for something he will never have to see again just because he can.    I really wish the Judge had made him pay half the bills.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

And when someone that does live there asks for it to change, you, and others like you, will change your argument to majority rules. Same elitist BS, different day.
It's unconstitutional. Period. Until they take it down, or represent all religious beliefs, it will be a government court house endorsing one religion.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting IhartU:

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM
I think if someone sees someone breaking constitutional law, anywhere, they should try to do something about it.

Quoting candlegal:

I guess it wouldn't occur to you that people that have other religious views  haven't wanted to put anything.   I don't think they would have a problem with it if they did. 

I also am guessing that you think it is ok for an outsider to come in and sue them for something he will never have to see again just because he can.    I really with the Judge had made him pay half the bills.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting IhartU:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Allowing citizens to put things up is unconstitutional?

I would agree if they have denied other things but allowed this.   Have they denied other objects?

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting IhartU:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

How is it breaking constitutional law?   The government of that county isn't putting anything up.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

I think if someone sees someone breaking constitutional law, anywhere, they should try to do something about it.

Quoting candlegal:

I guess it wouldn't occur to you that people that have other religious views  haven't wanted to put anything.   I don't think they would have a problem with it if they did. 

I also am guessing that you think it is ok for an outsider to come in and sue them for something he will never have to see again just because he can.    I really with the Judge had made him pay half the bills.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting IhartU:

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM
2 moms liked this

So agree!!!  It is a waste of the courts time and taxpayers money!!  Maybe it will end some of the "I am suing because I can and I want to."  Although it will change to an "anonymous person" contacted the we sue everyone Atheist group.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting IhartU:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)