Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O of the Meteorite Hitting Russia: Do you think they would tell us if we were about to be hit?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

So by now hopefully everyone has seen the footage of the meteorite hitting Russia and the destruction it caused, as well as the people injured. Now, this was a fairly large object that was hurtling towards earth, and had to have been seen by someone at some point. My question is, IF earth really was about to be hit by a devastating asteroid or meteorite, do you think that the powers that be would actually tell us, or do you think they would do everything in their power to keep it quiet? Personally, I'm on the side of the latter. I don't think we'd ever know, the mass panic and chaos that it would cause would be more than any country's military or civilian police could contain. The stock market would crash, society would instantly disrupt. 

What do you all think? Do you trust the world governments to warn us if the end is nigh?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

This was my thought while watching the footage. Someone knew and didn't tell. Call me crazy all you want but this is why we are preppers(no bunkers just common sense stuff). You have to look out for yourself and be prepared because no one is going to do that for you.

RLT2
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Of course they wouldn't tell. Mass panic.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM

My friends and coworkers think I'm crazy for prepping. I always tell them not to come to my house when the SHTF, because I'm going to say I told you so. 

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

This was my thought while watching the footage. Someone knew and didn't tell. Call me crazy all you want but this is why we are preppers(no bunkers just common sense stuff). You have to look out for yourself and be prepared because no one is going to do that for you.

iggwhipped72
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
All i know is i just watched Melancholia a few days ago and I'm still mad at Keifer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caito
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
4 moms liked this

If an object that would cause worldwide destruction and mayhem was going to hit the earth, we'd be able to see it in the sky long before it hit. It's not going to magically appear out of nowhere.

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM

This is what I say. Of course most of my customers agree with my views(since my business is all about guns and prepping) and are part of our prepper network but the folks who think I am nuts will be screwed if they ever need me. While I have no problem helping my fellow man, if you mocked me for my prepping I am probably less inclined to help you later.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

My friends and coworkers think I'm crazy for prepping. I always tell them not to come to my house when the SHTF, because I'm going to say I told you so. 

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
My first thought was of course they knew. The military has equipment that'll show if the president farts in the oval office and anyone thinks they didn't see this meteor?! I'm sure they took a look at this and did a risk assessment of the meteor damage vs the damage the panic telling citizens would cause.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:20 AM
3 moms liked this
I just saw CNN interview with astronomer David Dundee tellus silence museum. He said NASA couldn't predict it, it's too small to track. But they can see asteroid which is coming today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

That poses an interesting question too, are the people in the know so focused on tracking the large objects that they miss the smaller ones that could still cause local mass destruction rather than global destruction?

Quoting annabl1970:

I just saw CNN interview with astronomer David Dundee tellus silence museum. He said NASA couldn't predict it, it's too small to track. But they can see asteroid which is coming today.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
It was too small to track. They knew about it but could not predict its path.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)