Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O of the Meteorite Hitting Russia: Do you think they would tell us if we were about to be hit?

Posted by   + Show Post

So by now hopefully everyone has seen the footage of the meteorite hitting Russia and the destruction it caused, as well as the people injured. Now, this was a fairly large object that was hurtling towards earth, and had to have been seen by someone at some point. My question is, IF earth really was about to be hit by a devastating asteroid or meteorite, do you think that the powers that be would actually tell us, or do you think they would do everything in their power to keep it quiet? Personally, I'm on the side of the latter. I don't think we'd ever know, the mass panic and chaos that it would cause would be more than any country's military or civilian police could contain. The stock market would crash, society would instantly disrupt. 

What do you all think? Do you trust the world governments to warn us if the end is nigh?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Replies (31-38):
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM

The DA14 asteroid that was in the news and being tracked is about 150 feet... the meteor that hit Russia is estimated to be about 1/3 of that. 

Quoting angie944:

The size difference between the meteor that hit and the asteriod that flew past today were not that different! They said the asteroid was the size of two train box cars, and the one that hit russia was about the size of a house.  ????  So, if they saw one, they should have seen the other coming... They sit there and see 100 million light years away, and they dont even see things sitting in our front yard... psh... We are screwed... lol

PinkParadox
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM

No.  Why make people act more stupid than usual, if there's nothing to be done.

JanuaryBaby06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM

i wouldnt want a warning. what could you even do? what would be the point? i just hope that if it hits it takes me out i wouldnt want to deal with the aftermath

lga1965
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM

IF it was possible, I'm sure they would. So far there have been reports that meteors are close to earth but not expected to hit us. I have no idea why it was such a surprise in Russia, unless some of those people have no contact with TV or big cities, newspapers.

lga1965
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Yes, I agree.

But some just don't "believe " in science or trust it.....you know, they believe that the world was created in 6 days, yada yada yada....so, maybe that meteor will hit us ? ;-)But they won't warn us....

Sorry, I couldn't resist being snarky.

Quoting LauraKW:

Exactly. Science is helpful for all kinds of things.

Quoting caito:

If an object that would cause worldwide destruction and mayhem was going to hit the earth, we'd be able to see it in the sky long before it hit. It's not going to magically appear out of nowhere.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stringtheory:

Not in the budget:

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

That poses an interesting question too, are the people in the know so focused on tracking the large objects that they miss the smaller ones that could still cause local mass destruction rather than global destruction?

Quoting annabl1970:

I just saw CNN interview with astronomer David Dundee tellus silence museum. He said NASA couldn't predict it, it's too small to track. But they can see asteroid which is coming today.

President: We didn't see this thing coming?
Dan: Well, our object collison budget's a million dollars. That allows us to track about 3% of the sky, and beg'n your pardon sir, but it's a big-ass sky.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I think they wouldn't tell us unless they had to.

funnymommy71
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

My friends and coworkers think I'm crazy for prepping. I always tell them not to come to my house when the SHTF, because I'm going to say I told you so. 

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

This was my thought while watching the footage. Someone knew and didn't tell. Call me crazy all you want but this is why we are preppers(no bunkers just common sense stuff). You have to look out for yourself and be prepared because no one is going to do that for you.

I would hoof it to my parents house as they have been prepping (most stuff from then is gone!!) since the 2000- "computers will all crash" ridiculousness!!! But living in the NE and through blizzards etc, Mom and Dad always have alot of stock- not stockpiles, but enough for a while. I have lots of canned goods but I am basically screwed as NO ONE can find a working flashlight ever in my house- not a good prepper as they are!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)