Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

First time poster--how do you feel about the tag "gifted" applied to someone other than you or your kids?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM
  • 22 Replies

Poll

Question: Have you or your kid(s) ever been labeled "gifted" by a doctor, school official, or any other kind of "official" person?

Options:

Yes, me

Yes, my kid(s)

Yes, both me and my kid(s)

Nope

Other because there's always an "other"

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 32

View Results

I'm not a part of the "Mom Confessions" board but this post showed up on my main page...I didn't read any of the comments, but it had been edited by the OP--apparently the doctor told her her young son (not yet school age) was gifted, and apparently a LOT of people got really mad and/or offended about the tag "gifted" applied to someone's child who was not theirs because her edit was like "Geez folks, I'm just repeating what the doctor said, I'm not saying YOUR kids aren't special or whatever, wow so harsh!!" 

But it interested me because I've witnessed this sort of defensive angry reaction to the label "gifted" when applied to other peoples' kids.  I find it odd because to the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever discriminated or denied something or made anyone suffer because he or she was NOT labeled "gifted."  So why the angst..?  Anybody know?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like a bunch of people looking to be offended.  Who really cares if a random internet stranger's child was labeled "gifted"?

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Because a lot of these women have their entire identity wrapped up in their kids to the point they have lost all perspective. Any kid being "better" than theirs sends them into a rage.

tscritch
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Well seeing as only me and my children are special and gifted, noone else is allowed to be gifted. LOL. I agree with JakeandEmmasMom, sounds like people just looking to be offended.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:05 PM

No need to be offended.

Scorpiomom78
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Lol and I agree with JakeandEmmasMom too!

Quoting tscritch:

Well seeing as only me and my children are special and gifted, noone else is allowed to be gifted. LOL. I agree with JakeandEmmasMom, sounds like people just looking to be offended.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM

No need to be offended...

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM
It seems as if most school-related posts are full of either gifted kids (diagnosed in Kindergarten) or kids with multiple behavioral issues.

It doesn't offend me but I do find it hard to believe a country that with all of the posts about failing schools and apathetic teachers, there are so many gifted kids.

My DS does well in school, kicks butt on state tests but isn't gifted. DD struggles due to her speech delay. I'm fine with that...I don't get my identity by being the mom of a gifted, perfect kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I wouldn't be offended ... I'm pretty sure there are lots of gifted people out there!

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Quoting furbabymum:

Because a lot of these women have their entire identity wrapped up in their kids to the point they have lost all perspective. Any kid being "better" than theirs sends them into a rage.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM

All kids are different. Many kids have strengths and weaknesses that vary from one child to the next. They all deserve the same education and to be treated fairly. Some will likely be more capable of learning than others. I'm not offended. I'd prefer my children not be labeled at all, actually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)