Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

But that's not racist

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: Is it racist when people mockingly point out stereotypes regarding their own race?

Options:

no

depends

yes

herp derp

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 35

View Results

Is this offensive? Should it be?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Yes

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:02 PM

ummmm yes....why is it questionable?

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

no.  I'm not webster but isn't racism the belief that one race is better than another.

Making fun of my inability to dance, or another's profession in a conveinence store or laudromat isn't saying that one race is better than another.  It's pointing out a stereotype, it's not very nice, it'll probably anger someone but it's not saying one is better than another.

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

According to DH's co-workers no

lga1965
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I voted HerpDerp.

This gets way too complicated and too "Iffy".I don't even know how to reply and if I do, there will be repercussions. No matter what I say, there will be.

KWIM? 

,....sigh......

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL two people voted herp derp.

This video was hilarious.

When racial stereotypes are used in the manner as they are here it isn't racist but a commentary on racism.  

I have to say that the Harlem Shake cut that they did is a really popular meme right now, and the guy who does that song (Baauer) is playing at the club I work at on Saturday.  That show sold out...BOOM!  lol  It is going to be nuts.  People are just crazy for that song right now.  :)   (Sorry about hijacking the post, lol.  It's fun to work where I work sometimes!)  Also this meme pic was taken at my club, too:

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM

That guy looks like he is gonna keel over and she has no idea.  Poor guy.

Quoting stacymomof2:

When racial stereotypes are used in the manner as they are here it isn't racist but a commentary on racism.  

I have to say that the Harlem Shake cut that they did is a really popular meme right now, and the guy who does that song (Baauer) is playing at the club I work at on Saturday.  That show sold out...BOOM!  lol  It is going to be nuts.  People are just crazy for that song right now.  :)   (Sorry about hijacking the post, lol.  It's fun to work where I work sometimes!)  Also this meme pic was taken at my club, too:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

lol, I know.  This was at a concert where the act was yelling at everyone to get on everyone's shoulders.  I don't know the people personally but through aquaintances and the girl is nice (and not heavy, very pretty and in good shape) and the guy is just a nice guy that was having fun.  This was all over with people making comments about "thunder thighs" (hardly) and that the guy is a weakling.  Neither is true.  Ahhh, internet, how we love you.  My cousin took the pic and is reveling in the glory of a million hits on his photo.

Look for a "Harlem shake" video to be posted on youtube on sunday featuring Baauer.  I will post it here as an O/T if I can find it.  We are really pumped.  The news was calling all day when they found out the Harlem Shake guy was going to be at our club.  :)

Quoting survivorinohio:

That guy looks like he is gonna keel over and she has no idea.  Poor guy.

Quoting stacymomof2:

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM

My Mexican hubby adores sharing his Mexican jokes. 

Didn't watch the vid, so not gonna make a call on whether whatever it says is racist. 

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think this video is racist, it's a commentary on racism. There's an important difference. And I think some people have a hard time making that distinction. :)

Also, best Harlem Shake ever. ;D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN