Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fifth Graders In Washington Accused Of Plotting To Kill Fort Colville Elementary School Girl

Posted by   + Show Post

Fifth Graders In Washington Accused Of Plotting To Kill Fort Colville Elementary School Girl

Posted: 02/15/2013 11:03 am EST | Updated: 02/15/2013 3:43 pm EST

Fifth Grade Murder Plot
One of two fifth grade students accused of plotting to kill a female classmate at Fort Colville Elementary School.

Two fifth graders in Washington State admitted to plotting the murder of a girl in their class and intending to harm at least six other students, according to court documents released Wednesday.

The pair of Fort Colville Elementary School students -- ages 10 and 11 -- were arrested Feb. 7 after authorities found them with a knife, a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol and a full ammunition clip, The Spokesman Review reports.

The would-be killers were thwarted after a fourth-grader notice one boy playing with a knife and alerted a school teacher.

According to court documents, the younger boy had been in a "short-term dating relationship" with the girl he allegedly planned to kill because "she's rude and always made fun of me and my friends," KTVB reports.

"Yes, I just want her dead," he added.

According to CNN:

The boys' plan called for the older to stab the girl off-campus with a 3.25-inch knife last week, and the younger boy would scare off any responders with a .45-caliber Remington 1911 semi-automatic handgun, court documents said.

Washington law states that children ages 8 to 12 are "presumed not to have the mental capacity to form the intent to commit crime," according to KOMO. But prosecutors believe the boys had deliberate intentions.

"This was a plan. And it was a plan to kill," Timothy Rasmussen, Stevens County prosecuting attorney, said Thursday, according to the LA Times.

The boys each face charges of conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, tampering with a witness and conspiracy to possess a firearm

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Replies (31-37):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:24 PM

You are good teacher. You did what you could for this boy.

IMO it's a lot to do with their parents.

Quoting KrissyV:

Depends on the type of sentence they get.  If they are charged as adults and due to other school incidents, they probably will, it will take someone in the system to take an interest in them to really make a difference.  My second year of teaching I had a sixth grade student whose mom was a recovering crack addict who bounced from boyfriend to boyfriend.  By the time she was trying to turn her life around her son was already making comments in my class about harming people and animals.  Between myself and our social worker on campus we did everything we could to convince mom that this boy needed help outside of what we could provide.  I was so burnt out by the end of that school year.  He would be high school age now and I have no clue as to how he is doing since his mom moved him to a different part of the city after the school year ended.  He had no role model and did what he wanted and had no regard for other people and NO respect for his mom.  I am considering leaving title 1 because situations like these but then I read stories about other school shootings in the areas I am considering going to.  Troubled kids are everywhere.  Maybe I should just consider leaving the profession altogether...  :(

Quoting annabl1970:

What will happened to them? What kind of adults they will be? sad

Quoting KrissyV:

So sad.  To have no regard for human life at such a young age...  :(

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM

And I suspect one of the parents left his gun in place easily acceptable by his child...

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I'm interested in knowing who their parents are and what their reaction is. I'm inclined to believe their parents behave like 'billy-bad-ass' in front of their kids.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM

"Short term dating relationship with the girl" WTH?  He's 10! Why would they be dating?

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Washington law states that children ages 8 to 12 are "presumed not to have the mental capacity to form the intent to commit crime," according to KOMO.

Well I guess this is outdated.

But prosecutors believe the boys had deliberate intentions.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lga1965:

OMG. Too many violent movies, too little parent involvement in their lives, too many bad examples set for these kids. It is just frightening how many kids seem to have no morals, no sense of right and wrong, no respect for LIFE.

Exactly.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Quoting KrissyV:

Depends on the type of sentence they get.  If they are charged as adults and due to other school incidents, they probably will, it will take someone in the system to take an interest in them to really make a difference.  My second year of teaching I had a sixth grade student whose mom was a recovering crack addict who bounced from boyfriend to boyfriend.  By the time she was trying to turn her life around her son was already making comments in my class about harming people and animals.  Between myself and our social worker on campus we did everything we could to convince mom that this boy needed help outside of what we could provide.  I was so burnt out by the end of that school year.  He would be high school age now and I have no clue as to how he is doing since his mom moved him to a different part of the city after the school year ended.  He had no role model and did what he wanted and had no regard for other people and NO respect for his mom.  I am considering leaving title 1 because situations like these but then I read stories about other school shootings in the areas I am considering going to.  Troubled kids are everywhere.  Maybe I should just consider leaving the profession altogether...  :(

Quoting annabl1970:

What will happened to them? What kind of adults they will be? sad

Quoting KrissyV:

So sad.  To have no regard for human life at such a young age...  :(

That is a tough position to be in.  I hope it gets better for you.

Iconoclast
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Nowadays people lack empathy.  Heck even with the incident in Sandy Hook you would think that people would think, "there but for the grace of God..." but no they harassed the parents and called it a hoax put in place to take their guns.  People just don't care about others unless it benefits them in some way.  Kids pick up on that.  If this kid saw the girl he hoped to 'kill' as he would see himself (care about himself, his sister or mom) then maybe he would not have entertained the notion of killing because of some imagined slight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)