Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

African American nurse banned from handling white baby

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 312 Replies

This was the request of the parents, but she is suing the hospital.  Should parents be able to request that, since they are paying for the service?

Should she be able to win a lawsuit?

African American Nurse Sues Hospital – Claims She Was ‘Banned’ From Looking After White Baby

WNEMTV5
WNEMTV5

An African American nurse is suing a hospital for racial discrimination , claiming they prevented her from caring for a white baby because of the color of her skin.

Furthermore, the medic – who has worked at Hurley Medical Centre in Flint, Michigan for 25 years – alleges the ban was imposed at the request of the child’s father — and that a note was placed by hospital staff in the patient’s file stating, “No African American nurse to take care of baby.”

According to the lawsuit,  Tonya Battle was working in the intensive care unit tending to a sick newborn last October when the incident happened, WNEM TV5 is reporting.

The father allegedly asked to speak with a supervisor after saying he “did not want any African-Americans” taking care of his baby.

Battle’s lawsuit states that during the conversation the father rolled up his sleeve to reveal a Swastika tattoo.

“When [Battle] returned for work the next shift she found the note,” the lawsuit claims.

“It was shocking to her. She was very upset. She was very offended. She was in disbelief,” Julie Gafkay, the attorney representing the nurse, told WNEM TV5.

Adding that the alleged note was, “on the outside of the [patient's] chart and visible for anybody to see.”

Although the alleged note was later removed, Battle claims the discrimination continued.

“Even though [the hospital] claimed they weren’t going to continue to follow that – they weren’t going to discriminate – they continued to de facto discriminate against my client and the other African-American nurses,” Gafkay said.

“For the next month they never assigned any African-American nurses to care for that child.”

Adding, “The problem that my client has is not necessarily that the request was made. People will have their prejudices and biases.

“The problem is the hospital actually granted the request.”

The hospital released a statement in response to news of the lawsuit: “Hurley Medical Center does not comment on past or current litigation.”

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM
10 moms liked this
I would have told his white supremacist ass to take his sickly offspring to a different hospital or shut the fuck up. But we can't do that because it wouldn't be politically correct. Now we have to be sensitive to his needs as a racist bastard who refuses to accept he lives in a multi colored America. Poor racists and their pain.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ILive4This
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:57 AM
11 moms liked this

In my almost 18 years in healthcare, I've witnessed patients ask not to have a certain nurse or RT (I'm an RT), many times.  Usually it's a personality conflict, and their wishes are granted.  I don't think it matters what the reason is, if a patient isn't comfortable with their caregiver for any reason, they should have the right to ask for someone they are comfortable with.  Don't get me wrong, I think the patient's parents are extremely ignorant, but they are the customer.

I wonder how they'd feel if their baby coded, and the only staff available to resus the baby, were black.  Changed tune, I'm thinking.

abecee
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:03 AM
6 moms liked this

As the parent he has the right to control his childs environment.  Was it politically correct of course not. The hospital had choices and they chose the grant the parents their request.  As an at will employee the nurse should have simply accepted the fact that some people are racist idiots and she should have then given all her love and care to all the other babies in the hospital. It doesn't always have to end with a lawsuit.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Assholes

ashellbell
by shellbark on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I don't even know where to begin with this. I'm not real familiar with the way hospitals operate. Is it mandatory for them to grant a patient's request? Were they following the rules?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

IMO they shouldn't have agreed to meet the special requests of the father based on his remarks.

Ravishing_dame
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Would the situation be as heated as this, if the case weren't about an africa-american woman but rather a male RN being banned from handling a baby?  People want what they want

illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Her lawsuit against the hospital is stupid. She is angry at the wrong people.

4music
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM
4 moms liked this

The hospital was screwed from the get go - either way they were goiung to be sued by either the nurse or the baby's parents.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Good point.

Quoting 4music:

The hospital was screwed from the get go - either way they were goiung to be sued by either the nurse or the baby's parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured