Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think of surprise proposals on TV shows like GMA?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

Couple's Surprise Wedding on 'GMA' Was More of a Nightmare Than Dream Come True (VIDEO)

Posted by Maressa Brown on February 15, 2013 

flash wedding GMATV has no shame pulling whatever reality stunt they can to get our attention these days. Especially when it comes to weddings.  So obviously, Good Morning America hosting a flash proposal, flash wedding "planning" for the bride, and then, flash nationally televised wedding for Valentine's Day should come as no surprise.

The "lucky" couple, Melissa Cohn and Brian Bondy, rushed into their relationship pretty quickly, jetting to Fiji together after only having dated two weeks! Therefore, GMA made it like having an on-the-spot wedding was right in line with this couple's way of doing things. And it's not clear if Melissa was actually aware that Brian signed them up for this contest. But even if she was, I just can't see how any bride could possibly, really be pleased with having just 30 minutes to fake "plan" a pre-packaged, completely contrived, live TV wedding.

I mean, 30 minutes to "plan" your wedding?! Even though Melissa was able to choose dresses from Kleinfelds (so many brides' dream), she only had her pick of four that were chosen for her based on what she had put on one of  her wedding Pinterest boards. (Yes, she has several!) Even though Melissa was able to choose cakes created by Buddy Valastro of Cake Boss, there were just three cakes to choose from -- again, also inspired by her Pinterest. And we all know that what we pin isn't necessarily what we end up loving in real life ...

Nonetheless, Melissa said:

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'm a 10 right now, but a very shocked 10. This is amazing. It doesn't happen to people every day.

This is true ... Still, I can't help but think there was a least a part of her that was disappointed. Bummed that she missed out on the process of choosing her own bridesmaids, real wedding dress shopping, a bridal shower, a bachelorette party, etc. Sure, the planning process can be extremely stressful. But it's also a very personal experience with a payoff that's supposed to be extremely satisfying because it's all yours. Not a morning show's!

Hopefully, Melissa is able to think of this flash wedding as a really big proposal stunt -- and go on to have the real wedding of her dreams that she and Brian plan. Because to have anything less seems more like a bride's worst nightmare than her dream come true.

Here's the proposal ...

Would you have wanted to be in Melissa's shoes yesterday?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gammie
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I saw it it turned out nice, but it can only work with people who have been together for a long time. 

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly: we're they already engaged? If not, this was at best incredibly tacky.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM

LOL no.  And not just because my wedding was in my apartment, with a box of donuts from Dunkin' as the reception feast.  I don't like surprise parties or proposals, or anything Jumbotron-esque, frankly. 

emelymac
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Well, when we were dating my husband knew me well enough to know I would hate something like this. But, if she liked it then good for her. I would still have a real wedding though.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought it was awesome when Ahmad Rashad asked Felicia to marry him during a game but this is a little tacky IMO.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I would have HATED it, and would have been way pissed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I don't like surprises.

If it works for the couple... Eh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Cheesy. I would never want to get married that way.

I suspect it was planned in advance. Same thing with the "reality shows". Ha. Reality?

lga1965
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Quoting survivorinohio:

I thought it was awesome when Ahmad Rashad asked Felicia to marry him during a game but this is a little tacky IMO.

YES!!!  I remember that! I was watching that game .... ( I can't remember who the Vikings were playing)

Ahmad was quite a guy! I loved it! They were a gorgeous couple.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I woldn't be able to do it.... I'm too much of a control freak in the wedding planning.... DF and I are planning our wedding for Oct. and I have to be in control... something like a flash wedding would drive me bat shit insane.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN