Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Lets get a Divorce so we can get more Money from Welfare!

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 31 Replies

That is what my sil's soon to be ex said to her. They separated a year ago when their dd was 1 1/2 and she was pregnant with their second. She's been wanting to work it out but he's being super flaky, flip flopping around. One minute saying yes they'll get back together then filing for divorce and suing for custody of their 2yo the next.

His latest scheme was on Valentines day. He told her he had a surprise for her. She was all excited! So he calls and tells her that he still loves her and wants to be with her and be a family again. *She swoons* Then he says "But I still want a divorce and custody of the oldest." "We can still be together but this way we'll get more money from Welfare." His reasoning is, she gets 650 for both kids. But if they split the kids, they'll each get 520 and he won't have to pay child support.

Welfare fraud at it finest....She said hell no, I'll see you in court then hung up on him. What a shitty Valentines day :-(

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Gaming the system, really hurts the country in more ways than people realize
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I have seen moms on this site admit to pulling this kind of thing. My favorite was a mom who divorced her husband on paper so their child could get grants for school instead of just taking out loans like most do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh I know :-(

Quoting Donna6503:

Gaming the system, really hurts the country in more ways than people realize

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM

She seriously divorced her husband for that??

Quoting .Bubbles.:

I have seen moms on this site admit to pulling this kind of thing. My favorite was a mom who divorced her husband on paper so their child could get grants for school instead of just taking out loans like most do.

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Yep. Seemed ridiculous to me.

Quoting paganbaby:

She seriously divorced her husband for that??

Quoting .Bubbles.:

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this

These kinds of people will always exist. It sucks but that is the reality of it. We can safeguard the safety net as much as humanly possible but this will still happen. 

Thankfully, these people are in the minority. This is not how most people treat the welfare program. I do not appreciate these anecdotal stories that make it out like this is the norm when it could not be further from the truth. 

You are contributing to the demonization of the poor and marginalized. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Taking the high road has always worked out really well for us. Plus it allows us to sleep at night.

I know my fair share of welfare scam artists.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:53 PM

How am I contributing to jack?

Quoting mehamil1:

These kinds of people will always exist. It sucks but that is the reality of it. We can safeguard the safety net as much as humanly possible but this will still happen. 

Thankfully, these people are in the minority. This is not how most people treat the welfare program. I do not appreciate these anecdotal stories that make it out like this is the norm when it could not be further from the truth. 

justahousewife
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Who would be happy with 520 a month? There must be some serious desperation there.

I do know an older couple who had to divorce because the man needed a nursing home, they couldn't afford it and the state wouldn't help if he was married. It was pretty sad because they were married over 50yrs but his kids cheated him out of his retirement somehow.
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

By posting these anecdotal stories. You do this a lot. All it does is cause a feeding frenzy for those who think the welfare rolls are predominantly filled with lazy people when that just is not the case. At all. 

You are free to post whatever you damn well please. I just can't hold my tongue this time. 

Quoting paganbaby:

How am I contributing to jack?

Quoting mehamil1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN