Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Nurse Sues Hospital For Reassigning Her After Dad Of Newborn Writes Alleged Racist Note “No African-American nurse to take care of baby.”

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM
  • 27 Replies

Nurse Sues Hospital For Reassigning Her After Dad Of Newborn Writes Alleged Racist Note

An unidentified nurse is suing Hurley Medical Center in Flint, Mich., over accusations of racism that resulted in her being reassigned to another area because the father of a newborn allegedly did not want his child being cared for by a Black woman, reports WNEM.com. The nurse, who has been employed by Hurley since 1988, worked in the neonatal intensive care unit of the hospital. The lawsuit contends that the father of a newborn in the unit witnessed the nurse caring for his child. The fuming father immediately demanded to speak with a nursing supervisor. In no uncertain terms, the father allegedly informed the head nurse that he did not want any Black woman caring for his child. He then reportedly rolled up his sleeve to expose a tattoo, which is alleged to have been a swastika. According to the attorney for the Black nurse, she was reassigned as a result. The nurse also stumbled upon a note on an assignment clipboard that allegedly stated, “No African-American nurse to take care of baby.” With regards to the nurse’s reaction, “[She] was shocked, offended and in disbelief that she was so egregiously discriminated against based on her race and re-assigned,” state the court documents. When WNEM.com contacted Hurley regarding the litigation against them by the African-American nurse, the medical facility responded with the following statement: “Hurley Medical Center does not comment on past or current litigation.”

http://newsone.com/2228733/nurse-reassigned-after-racist-note-hurley-medical-center/

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM

awful

CreziaMommyTo2
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:34 PM

im torn on this issue, because the parents have the right to have whoever they want to care for their child, but the hospital should NOT have re-assigned her, they should have told the father, that if he was not comfortable, then the baby needed to stay with mom.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:25 PM
From the article it sounds like the newborn is in the NICU. If that's the case, he/she can't be with the mom.

I too am torn on this. I think it's completely wrong because of her race, but there have been times i've asked for another nurse, or wanted to. When my husband was in the hospital we requested that a nurse's aid or student nurse not be assigned to him because of some things we observed her doing.

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

im torn on this issue, because the parents have the right to have whoever they want to care for their child, but the hospital should NOT have re-assigned her, they should have told the father, that if he was not comfortable, then the baby needed to stay with mom.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JCB911
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I wonder if perhaps the Dad didn't like that nurse for non-racial reasons, and not knowing her name simply asked if they could have someone other than the African-American nurse.  Perhaps all the other nurses were white.   Because really if someone is racist would they really use the "more PC" term of African American?  (Not that saying "black" is racist, just AA seems to be the PC thing to say, and I can't see a racist worring about being PC)

CafeMom Tickers

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM
It sucks but you can't handle someone's baby who doesn't want you handling them regardless of the reason.

I don't think anyone should be sued, but I do think the dad deserves to have his name drug through the mud
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rlmama00
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM

At the end of the day the hospital is a business. Patients are the customers and they have to attempt to make them happy. Any request is supposed to be put on record, so why wouldn't there be a note on the patient's file?The fathers request is completely disgusting, but he is the parent and has the right to make such a request.

parentalrights1
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Some say African American is correct and black is more offensive, but some say that African American is offensive because they aren't all African.

I go with black.

Quoting JCB911:

I wonder if perhaps the Dad didn't like that nurse for non-racial reasons, and not knowing her name simply asked if they could have someone other than the African-American nurse.  Perhaps all the other nurses were white.   Because really if someone is racist would they really use the "more PC" term of African American?  (Not that saying "black" is racist, just AA seems to be the PC thing to say, and I can't see a racist worring about being PC)

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Personally I go with black, b/c I'd assume many have ancestors that may have been here longer than mine.  Plus I know I woudn't want to be called a European-American.  We're all American (presumably),  if we're talking about color then use a color word.

Quoting parentalrights1:

Some say African American is correct and black is more offensive, but some say that African American is offensive because they aren't all African.

I go with black.

Quoting JCB911:

CafeMom Tickers

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I'm wondering if the administrator thought it likely that the father would forcibly remove the baby from the hospital rather than let that nurse take care of it, and that this would be dangerous to the baby?

hockytwndhampyr
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Absolutely shocking. Though I must admit it seems like when Michigan's economy fell in the toilet, you started hearing more racist comments. And Flint was especially hard hit, even more so than Detroit. As for the nurse, all that had to be done was to tell her not to care for that one baby, not reassign her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN