Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Politician Arrested, Charged for Shoplifting

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  • 27 Replies

Dale Peterson Arrested After Restroom Break, Charged With Shoplifting

Dale Peterson, a former Republican candidate for Alabama agriculture commissioner known for an ad hitting "thugs and criminals" that "don't give a rip," says he will attempt to get a shoplifting charge dismissed.

Peterson was stopped by employees at a Wal-Mart after taking a shopping cart of beer and paper towels past the store's cash registers without paying. He claims he was rushing to the bathroom, not trying to steal beer.

Peterson was arrested Oct. 15 on a charge of third-degree theft of property, the AP reports:

Peterson, 67, said he and his wife, Kathy, had friends coming over to watch a football game, and he went to pick up supplies. He said he got ready to check out with less than $40 worth of merchandise, but he had to go to the restroom badly. “I had to go when I went in the store,” he said.

Peterson said he rolled his shopping cart past the cash registers, parked it outside the restroom, and got stopped by store security when he emerged from the restroom. He said he never left the store, and he didn’t know it was considered shoplifting “once you pass the cash registers.”

Peterson lost the 2010 primary election for Alabama agriculture commissioner but stayed involved with politics thanks to the popularity of his campaign ads. He riffed on his "thugs and criminals" ad after finishing third in the primary, endorsing his former rival John McMillion in the general election.

The AP reports Peterson is again blaming "thugs and criminals," this time for spreading word about his arrest to keep him from another political run

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Dale Peterson Arrested

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Alabama Candidate Carries A Gun, Says He Will 'Name Names And Take No Prisoners' In Campaign Ad (VIDEO)

First Posted: 05/17/10 12:14 PM ET Updated: 05/25/11 05:30 PM ET

React

share this story

Dale Peterson
Get Politics Alerts
Submit this story

Dale Peterson, GOP candidate for Alabama Agricultural Commissioner, knows what a Republican looks like, and he's not scared to show you in his new ad.

"Listen up," Peterson barks, removing his aviator sunglasses and glaring at the camera from under a cowboy hat. He says that the position he's running for is responsible for over $5 billion.

"Bet you didn't know that, you know why?" Peterson asks. "Thugs and criminals...they don't give a rip about Alabama."

Peterson goes on to criticize his opponent for "stealing yard signs in the dark," and "bragging about receiving illegal money on Facebook."

"We're Republicans, we should be better than that," Peterson says, brandishing a rifle. "I'm Dale Peterson, I'll name names and take no prisoners. Give me the Republican nomination for Ag Commish and lets show Alabama we mean business."

Alabama seems to have a penchant for memorable political advertising this election season. Republican gubernatorial candidate Tim James released a now-famous TV commercial last month in which he laid out one of his key missions -- giving the Alabama state driver's license exam in English only.

And earlier this month, True Republican PAC attacked another GOP gubernatorial candidate, Bradley Byrne, for believing in evolution.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Alabama Shoplifting Laws

Section 15-10-14

Detention and arrest of person suspected of larceny of goods held for sale.

(a) A peace officer, a merchant or a merchant's employee who has probable cause for believing that goods held for sale by the merchant have been unlawfully taken by a person and that he can recover them by taking the person into custody may, for the purpose of attempting to effect such recovery, take the person into custody and detain him in a reasonable manner for a reasonable length of time. Such taking into custody and detention by a peace officer, merchant or merchant's employee shall not render such police officer, merchant or merchant's employee criminally or civilly liable for false arrest, false imprisonment or unlawful detention.

(b) Any peace officer may arrest without warrant any person he has probable cause for believing has committed larceny in retail or wholesale establishments.

(c) A merchant or a merchant's employee who causes such arrest as provided for in subsection (a) of this section of a person for larceny of goods held for sale shall not be criminally or civilly liable for false arrest or false imprisonment where the merchant or merchant's employee has probable cause for believing that the person arrested committed larceny of goods held for sale.

(Acts 1957, No. 184, p. 237, §§1-3.)

IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM
It doesn't sound like he was going to try to steal the beer, I'd read up more on it though from other sources.

However he does sound like an idiot, either way. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM

His ad about "thugs and criminals" coming back to bite him  in the ass :)

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

It doesn't sound like he was going to try to steal the beer, I'd read up more on it though from other sources.

However he does sound like an idiot, either way. Lol

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd say leaving the store is shoplifting, not staying in the store and just being passed the checkouts.  The stuff hasn't left the store yet - how could it be stealing? 

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Because he passed the cash register?

Quoting JCB911:

I'd say leaving the store is shoplifting, not staying in the store and just being passed the checkouts.  The stuff hasn't left the store yet - how could it be stealing? 

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM
In most states when you take merchandise "past the point of sale" it is considered theft by unlawful taking.

So, if you take merchandise beyond the cash registers, it can be considered shoplifting.

Quoting JCB911:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured