Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

O/T My dd hates her hair:(

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM
  • 22 Replies
She's only 7 and already complaining about her hair being too puffy and curly. It is curly and kind of difficult to manage and sometimes even I get frustrated with it. I usually just braid it.

Anyway, dd wants me to flat iron it (my niece did it once and she LOVED it). I dont have a problem with that...BUT..I don't want her to get the wrong message thinking curly is bad.

Tips? Advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I have no advice just hugs...

My 3 (almost 4) year old has extremely curly hair and she already tells me she doesn't like it and wants "normal" hair... :-(

She was excited when Brave came out and Merida had crazy curly hair... That actually helped a lot :-)

Good Luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
manifer_momma
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this
^^ that movie is so cute! And yes, I pointed out Merida's hair on purpose. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Good luck. My 8yo DS has been really irritated with his curly hair lately. He keeps asking if we can cut it to make it straight and spikes :/

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sjenkins8208
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Curly hair normally wants straight and straight normally wants curly! It's nuts! She will get older and realize how beautiful curly hair is. Straight hair is beautiful too, but she will appreciate having curly hair naturally.
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Some of the things I've learned by being the owner of curly hair.  You mileage may vary:

Curly hair will poof out and get frizzy with a brush; using a wide-toothed comb or pick works better than a brush.

I try not to comb my hair once it's dry.  I use my fingers to comb through when I need to and "scrunch" to add body.  Combing will straighten the hair but cause fly-aways and frizziness.  I've found with mine that letting it air dry instead of a hair dryer helps as well.

I also like my hair a bit longer than kept short like my mom always cut it when I was a child.  Letting the curl grow out so it has the length to make a spiral will alleviate what I called bozo hair; hair that sticks out straight from the head. 

Then there's hair "plopping" that will accentuate the curl, but I doubt your daughter wants to do that at this point. ;)

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:33 AM
My 14 yo has the same kind of hair and a lot
of it! I did let her flat iron her hair because she hated it. Now someday she let's it go curly ad some days she straightens it. Actually, to make the curls tamer she curls her hair. It makes the curls calmer. We have also found some anti-drizzling products to calm her hair. She now likes that she can do it both ways.

Let her do what makes her comfortable. My dd felt like an oddball with her curly hair but leaned to love it.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:02 AM
True dat! I straightened my hair for about 30 years...then on vacation after spending 25 minutes on it, it curled up as soon as I stepped outside. Since then, I keep it curly and just straighten it out on special occasion. I like having the option.

Quoting sjenkins8208:

Curly hair normally wants straight and straight normally wants curly! It's nuts! She will get older and realize how beautiful curly hair is. Straight hair is beautiful too, but she will appreciate having curly hair naturally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM
3 moms liked this
Kinky Curly Curling Custard is an AMAZING product for curly hair. My daughter has very curly hair too and I find this product allows her to wear her hair curly without all the frizz.

She does like to get it flat ironed too and it does make it easier for her to care for her hair (she's 7 too).

Most days my daughter's hair is braided because when it's down she's impossible with the flipping of the hair.

Seriously though...Kinky Curly products are the way to go. Also for more tips check out naturallycurly.com.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM

My 5 year old has a ton of curly hair, too.  We just braid it (she's young, still) but there are a lot of moisturizing products and conditioners to keep the frizz down.  I agree with Frog Salad, keeping it long enough for the curls to spiral down will give you more options for either pulling it back or wearing it long.  

I'm sure your daughter will learn to love the curls...at 7 she is still learning to do her hair, help her learn some tricks and styles and she will soon be a pro.

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I'd start pointing out all the beautiful curly hair on other people. I'd take her to a beauty salon and point out the people getting perms. I'd play Willow Smith's hair song. I'd try to accentuate the positives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN