Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Boys and Girls....Are they different? s/o EDITED

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM
  • 133 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is a spin off from another thread on a girl being kicked off a football team.  I am honestly suprised at some of the responses.

Would you tell your daughter she can't do something because she is a girl? I cannot imagine my daughter telling me she wants to do something and me telling her no because she is a girl.

I think it is sending an awful message to any young girl.  I'm not saying I wouldn't be worried about some choices...For example, if she wanted to join the military and be in combat or play football, etc.  But, I would never discourage or tell her no she can't because she is a girl.

ETA: I am not talking about physical differences. They obviously have different parts. But, do we tell them they cannot do something because of those parts?

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:44 AM
3 moms liked this

I would sure tell my grandsons they can't have a baby because they are a boy, so yes, they are different.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:52 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting candlegal:

I would sure tell my grandsons they can't have a baby because they are a boy, so yes, they are different.

That is a biological fact that cannot be altered.  I am talking about things like the military, sports, careers, government positions, etc.

candlegal
by Judy on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Boys are physically stronger also.  Based on that there are things they can do that a female should not be encouraged to do.  I am talking about the average female, not the few who are built like men.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting candlegal:

That is a biological fact that cannot be altered.  I am talking about things like the military, sports, careers, government positions, etc.

masonmomma
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:04 AM
For me, it depends of what it is. Overall, I have a very old fashioned view on the roles males and females SHOULD have (but I do think they CAN do the same things). Honestly, id support her, worry about her, but encourage her to do more "feminine" activities. Then again, I don't have girls. I believe that although we can accomplish the same things, there is importance in the typical male/female roles. This coming from someone who is pursuing a male role lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I have told my daughters they can't do things because they are girls.

It was true for what they wanted.

I have also told them that there are things they can do, but whining that it is too hard means they aren't cut out for it if the boys can do it.

Rhodin
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM

No.  However, not everyone, boy or girl, is physically capable of making the football team.  I'd probably try to comfort her the same way I'd comfort a son who didn't make the same team.

Quote:

Would you tell your daughter she can't do something because she is a girl? I cannot imagine my daughter telling me she wants to do something and me telling her no because she is a girl.
lga1965
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:13 AM

My oldest daughter is very strong, and I never dioscouraged her from playing sports. She played softball, tennis and SOCCER, where she was the goalie on a co-ed team in Germany and was so good that she was asked to join a German girls' traveling team while we were at a USAF base in Germany. ( We were transferred back to the states so she couldn't join) I wouldn't say she was not suited for doing the same things men do. My middle daughter is petite , looks feminine and fragile ( hehe) and still has strength and abilities such as working in a refrigerator factory to earn money for college  ,loading doors onto a conveyor belt as they were assembled. LOL. My son played soccer. He is masculine but will cry weddings , cry at movies, cry when his first born was born, etc.

My kids do not follow the stereotypical patterns ...you know, the dainty, fragile,emotional  female and the manly,stoical, muscle man who never shows his emotions.I really don't know many boys and girls, men and women who  appear to resemble the stereotypical male and female patterns. ( well...I do. LOL  I don't like sports)

So, in some ways, boys and girs can be very much alike.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I would never discourage my girls from doin anything they want to do.

But are boys and girls different? Yes. I truly believe nature makes them different... My son is a totally boy and I have one Girly girl and one semi Girly girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM
3 moms liked this

Where sports are concerned the teams should have the right to say boys only or girls only   As kids get older, there are physical differences that should be taken into account where sports are concerned. It's beginning to get to the point where if a child is told NO, it's a fight or even a court case because little johnny and little sally must be allowed to play on whatever team  they decide they want just because they want to. Sure some kids when they are young play on a mixed team but I'm beginning to wonder if it's a good idea to allow it at all at any age being as the reasoning seems to go along the lines of, I did it when I was 8 yrs old, I should still be able to do it at 15. Think of it in terms of college and professional sports...do we really want women playing on the same team as the men in college; at the olympics; or how about women playing on the same teams as men in the NFL? At what point should No just mean NO or should we just delete that word from the vocabulary because telling a kid no is unfair

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Even the few who are built like men do not have the strength of men.  A girl is in high danger to play high school football with the boys. 

Quoting candlegal:

Boys are physically stronger also.  Based on that there are things they can do that a female should not be encouraged to do.  I am talking about the average female, not the few who are built like men.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting candlegal:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)