Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Protesters gather outside LAPD Headquarters to protest departmental corruption, mishandling of Dorner case.

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

Protest outside LAPD headquarters

Dozens of protesters gathered outside the Los Angeles Police Department headquarters downtown Saturday afternoon, holding signs of support for Christopher Dorner, the fired police officer suspected of killing four people.

Those gathered said they were protesting police corruption and the way the massive manhunt for Dorner was conducted. Authorities said Dorner appears to have died from a self-inflected gunshot wound after a shootout with police in Big Bear on Tuesday, ending a deadly rampage that stretched across Southern California.

Protesters said they believed Dorner’s claims that he was unfairly fired from the department in 2009 – grievances described in a lengthy online manifesto that has been attributed to him. Dorner also claimed that he was the victim of racism.

Protesters also said they were appalled by police mistakenly shooting at passengers in two separate trucks in Torrance, wrongly believing Dorner might be in the vehicles. One woman was shot in the back and is still recovering.

The protesters emphasized that they did not condone the killings of which Dorner is accused.

Michael Nam, 30, stood at the corner of 1st and Main Streets with a sign, painted by his girlfriend, showing a tombstone and the words “RIP Habeas Corpus.” The tombstone was engulfed in flames.

Nam, of Lomita, said he was disturbed by the burning of a mountain cabin near Big Bear where Dorner barricaded himself with a high-powered sniper rifle, smoke bombs and a cache of ammo. The blaze started shortly after police fired "pyrotechnic" tear gas into the cabin; the canisters are known as "burners" because the intense heat they emit often causes a fire.

But authorities have maintained that the fire was not intentionally set. 

Dorner, whose charred body was found in the cabin, appears to have died of a single gunshot wound to the head, authorities said.

“How the police handled this -– they were the judge, the jury and the executioner,” Nam said. “As an American citizen, you have the right to a trial and due process by law.”

Nam, a former Marine and a current member of the Army National Guard, said he has combat experience from deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He said he has been in situations in which a combatant has been barricaded and successfully waited until the person surrendered, eventually getting “tired and coming out on their own.”

Nam said it was “pretty obvious” police wanted Dorner dead. “What I saw was a complete disregard for the Bill of Rights,” Nam said.

San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon, during a news conference Friday, defended the tactics used by his agency in the shootout at the mountain cabin, which left one of his deputies dead and another seriously wounded.

“The bottom line is the deputy sheriffs of this department, and the law enforcement officers from the surrounding area, did an outstanding job,” he said. “They ran into the line of fire.”

Protesters on Saturday said they organized the event through a Facebook page called “I support Christopher Jordan Dorner.” The Facebook post announcing the protest tells attendees to “keep it PEACEFUL” and to bring recording equipment.

The Facebook page states: “This is not a page about supporting the killing of innocent people. It’s supporting fighting back against corrupt cops and bringing to light what they do.”

As the protesters stood Saturday, drivers passing by honked, waved and gave thumbs up. A handful of officers watched from police headquarters across the street.

Nam said he spoke to the officers before the protest began about what the protesters should do to keep the event peaceful. He said the officers were respectful.

The protesters marched around the block, circling an intersection near the department headquarters. They chanted, “LAPD, you are guilty.”

Signs expressed anger at police and support for Dorner.

“If you’re not enraged, you’re not paying attention,” one sign read.

“Why couldn’t we hear his side?”

“Clear his name! Christopher Dorner”

Liliana Alaniz, 40, came with her family -– her mother, sister, nieces and daughters -– from Long Beach to join the protest, which she said was her first.

“I really, really believe he was innocent in the firing case,” Alaniz said of Dorner.

Alaniz held a sign that read, “Trying to clear your name.”

Her daughter, Andrea Tovar, said Dorner “has his supporters.”

“Murder is never right, but neither is the law when it’s unjust,” said Tovar, 18. She said police need to know they “can’t get away with everything.”

Article

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:39 PM
4 moms liked this

And before people come in and says, "He should have given himself up if he didn't want to be killed".

The police shot at two different trucks because the vehicle "matched" the description. Never stopping to confirm who they are even shooting at.

Even if he wanted to turn himself in-He would have been shot. And before people say, "The fire was an accident", or, "They were only starting it so he comes out".

I can go get a link to the audio if you need it. It keeps getting taken off youtube (Christopher Dorner's youtube account was also removed for some reason). But people have uploaded it via a torrent so the audio will keep appearing.

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

Trollslayer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

brookiecookie87, I agree with everything you said.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

They were going to kill him no matter what.  Even if he didn't kill those people, he was telling the world about their corruption so he had to die.  I don't support how he went about it but if you screw over enough people sooner or later one of them is going to snap and it's going to come back to bite you in the ass.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting trippyhippy:

They were going to kill him no matter what.  Even if he didn't kill those people, he was telling the world about their corruption so he had to die.  I don't support how he went about it but if you screw over enough people sooner or later one of them is going to snap and it's going to come back to bite you in the ass.

I do wonder if he really killed those people . 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Brookie, I don't know if you saw anything about Friday's news conference. The SB Sheriff's department is trying to identify the person heard in that second quote. It wasn't an order given. The orders were given over radio; the videographer from CBS was not near a police radio and wasn't hearing anything official.

The "burn him out" quote was as much of a "command" as a fan at a football game screaming "kill him" to a linebacker, you know?

It also says something to me that for a city of millions, there were only a few dozen protestors at LAPD.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gdiamante:

Brookie, I don't know if you saw anything about Friday's news conference. The SB Sheriff's department is trying to identify the person heard in that second quote. It wasn't an order given. The orders were given over radio; the videographer from CBS was not near a police radio and wasn't hearing anything official.

The "burn him out" quote was as much of a "command" as a fan at a football game screaming "kill him" to a linebacker, you know?

It also says something to me that for a city of millions, there were only a few dozen protestors at LAPD.

Your analogy is incorrect. It would be like one of the offensive line men saying, "Let's injure the quarterback", and then another one saying, "Yeah, let's injure him so he can't play anymore!"

Then he gets injured and the coach says, "It was an accident. The injury was not intentional".

Except in this situation we have it on tape that was live. It's nothing like a fan saying it. Because a fan has no direct influence over what happens in a game. The Police Officers do. Especially if multiple officers are saying it.

Especially when you can listen to the Police Scanners where they say they are going to deploy -7- burners.

Do you know why they are called burners?

viv212
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Nothing is going to change. The LAPD killed Dorner and shut his voice forever. Job is done. The LAPD will resume their corrupt behavior. It was just a minor bump in the road for them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this
The LAPD is, has been, & always will be corrupt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Quoting brookiecookie87:
Quoting gdiamante:

Your analogy is incorrect. It would be like one of the offensive line men saying, "Let's injure the quarterback", and then another one saying, "Yeah, let's injure him so he can't play anymore!"

Then he gets injured and the coach says, "It was an accident. The injury was not intentional".

Except in this situation we have it on tape that was live. It's nothing like a fan saying it. Because a fan has no direct influence over what happens in a game. The Police Officers do. Especially if multiple officers are saying it.

Especially when you can listen to the Police Scanners where they say they are going to deploy -7- burners.

I do. My point was that the very understandable attitude of the cops on the scene wasn't driving what was going on at the command post in another location, as the sun was going down.

What we got on tape live was only part of what was going on, not the full picture. Yep, they deployed the burners. And to be honest I was more worried that they'd start a major forest fire than anything else.

Yes, I believe Dorner was unfairly fired. And ya know what? I give him credit for not killing that couple in the cabin or the old man with a boat in San Diego.

But he loses all sympathy when he kills ANYONE. If getting his GOOD NAME was important, he chose the WRONG WAY to do it and would have been more successful by setting himself afire in front of the LAPD as a protest.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

I do. My point was that the very understandable attitude of the cops on the scene wasn't driving what was going on at the command post in another location, as the sun was going down.

What we got on tape live was only part of what was going on, not the full picture. Yep, they deployed the burners. And to be honest I was more worried that they'd start a major forest fire than anything else.

Yes, I believe Dorner was unfairly fired. And ya know what? I give him credit for not killing that couple in the cabin or the old man with a boat in San Diego.

But he loses all sympathy when he kills ANYONE. If getting his GOOD NAME was important, he chose the WRONG WAY to do it and would have been more successful by setting himself afire in front of the LAPD as a protest.

Oh-I wasn't implying Christopher Dorner was some hero who they should have let run free. He allegedly killed people and needed to be caught to be put on trial and face his punishment. I was just pointing out that they didn't even try to arrest him. And every action they did showed us they had no intention of arresting him.

From shooting at the two other trucks with innocent people inside to deploying -7- Burners to start the fire.

If Officers are heard saying they should burn him. And Police say on their scanners they are going to deploy 7 burners. And burners are known to start a fire (Only amplified by the fact that they used 7). It seems kind of silly to suggest they didn't intend for that fire to happen.

I would agree that he choose the wrong way to clear his name. But that doesn't mean the Police were right in attempting to kill him at every chance they got instead of arresting him.

And it doesn't change the fact that they highlighted the points he made in his manifesto. He said they don't care who they hurt if they "match" the description. Then they end up shooting at three people because they "matched" a description.

You said you lost all sympathy for Christopher Dorner when he killed someone. Are the Police (And their procedures) off the hook because they have bad aim and their 40+ shots didn't kill anyone? If the 71 year old lady they shot in the back during her newspaper delivery route dies will you also agree they were wrong?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)