Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Protesters gather outside LAPD Headquarters to protest departmental corruption, mishandling of Dorner case.

Protest outside LAPD headquarters

Dozens of protesters gathered outside the Los Angeles Police Department headquarters downtown Saturday afternoon, holding signs of support for Christopher Dorner, the fired police officer suspected of killing four people.

Those gathered said they were protesting police corruption and the way the massive manhunt for Dorner was conducted. Authorities said Dorner appears to have died from a self-inflected gunshot wound after a shootout with police in Big Bear on Tuesday, ending a deadly rampage that stretched across Southern California.

Protesters said they believed Dorner’s claims that he was unfairly fired from the department in 2009 – grievances described in a lengthy online manifesto that has been attributed to him. Dorner also claimed that he was the victim of racism.

Protesters also said they were appalled by police mistakenly shooting at passengers in two separate trucks in Torrance, wrongly believing Dorner might be in the vehicles. One woman was shot in the back and is still recovering.

The protesters emphasized that they did not condone the killings of which Dorner is accused.

Michael Nam, 30, stood at the corner of 1st and Main Streets with a sign, painted by his girlfriend, showing a tombstone and the words “RIP Habeas Corpus.” The tombstone was engulfed in flames.

Nam, of Lomita, said he was disturbed by the burning of a mountain cabin near Big Bear where Dorner barricaded himself with a high-powered sniper rifle, smoke bombs and a cache of ammo. The blaze started shortly after police fired "pyrotechnic" tear gas into the cabin; the canisters are known as "burners" because the intense heat they emit often causes a fire.

But authorities have maintained that the fire was not intentionally set. 

Dorner, whose charred body was found in the cabin, appears to have died of a single gunshot wound to the head, authorities said.

“How the police handled this -– they were the judge, the jury and the executioner,” Nam said. “As an American citizen, you have the right to a trial and due process by law.”

Nam, a former Marine and a current member of the Army National Guard, said he has combat experience from deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He said he has been in situations in which a combatant has been barricaded and successfully waited until the person surrendered, eventually getting “tired and coming out on their own.”

Nam said it was “pretty obvious” police wanted Dorner dead. “What I saw was a complete disregard for the Bill of Rights,” Nam said.

San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon, during a news conference Friday, defended the tactics used by his agency in the shootout at the mountain cabin, which left one of his deputies dead and another seriously wounded.

“The bottom line is the deputy sheriffs of this department, and the law enforcement officers from the surrounding area, did an outstanding job,” he said. “They ran into the line of fire.”

Protesters on Saturday said they organized the event through a Facebook page called “I support Christopher Jordan Dorner.” The Facebook post announcing the protest tells attendees to “keep it PEACEFUL” and to bring recording equipment.

The Facebook page states: “This is not a page about supporting the killing of innocent people. It’s supporting fighting back against corrupt cops and bringing to light what they do.”

As the protesters stood Saturday, drivers passing by honked, waved and gave thumbs up. A handful of officers watched from police headquarters across the street.

Nam said he spoke to the officers before the protest began about what the protesters should do to keep the event peaceful. He said the officers were respectful.

The protesters marched around the block, circling an intersection near the department headquarters. They chanted, “LAPD, you are guilty.”

Signs expressed anger at police and support for Dorner.

“If you’re not enraged, you’re not paying attention,” one sign read.

“Why couldn’t we hear his side?”

“Clear his name! Christopher Dorner”

Liliana Alaniz, 40, came with her family -– her mother, sister, nieces and daughters -– from Long Beach to join the protest, which she said was her first.

“I really, really believe he was innocent in the firing case,” Alaniz said of Dorner.

Alaniz held a sign that read, “Trying to clear your name.”

Her daughter, Andrea Tovar, said Dorner “has his supporters.”

“Murder is never right, but neither is the law when it’s unjust,” said Tovar, 18. She said police need to know they “can’t get away with everything.”

Article

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Thats a sad little protest pack :-(  For a city the size of LA I would of assumed a lot more people were pissed off at the LAPD to at least turn up.

I wonder because of the history...people have given up?

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I suspected something was seriously amiss at the onset of the Dorner saga.  Make no mistake, Dorner's crimes have not gone unnoticed by me, nor do I excuse them.  However, I do firmly believe that he was first shut out and then ultimately shut up by the LAPD.  He was not allowed to be tried for his crimes.  None of these questions will ever be adequately answered as I have no confidence in the LAPD telling the truth. 

OneDay.
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM
I wonder that too

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting trippyhippy:

They were going to kill him no matter what.  Even if he didn't kill those people, he was telling the world about their corruption so he had to die.  I don't support how he went about it but if you screw over enough people sooner or later one of them is going to snap and it's going to come back to bite you in the ass.

I do wonder if he really killed those people . 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
viv212
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM
I think so. I have. I think that's why people were "rooting" for him- because he tried to expose it and who else has ever done that?

Quoting turtle68:

Thats a sad little protest pack :-(  For a city the size of LA I would of assumed a lot more people were pissed off at the LAPD to at least turn up.

viv212
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Good, I'm not the only one. But then was it just a coincidence? Who else would have killed them? He sort of admiitted it in his manifesto too didn't he?

Quoting OneDay.:

I wonder that too

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting trippyhippy:

They were going to kill him no matter what.  Even if he didn't kill those people, he was telling the world about their corruption so he had to die.  I don't support how he went about it but if you screw over enough people sooner or later one of them is going to snap and it's going to come back to bite you in the ass.

I do wonder if he really killed those people . 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I can see how that was appealing for most.  Even I thought he was going to bring them down...even a little.  So I was disappointed at how disorganized he actually was.  I thought the LAPD was going to shake a wee bit and was secretly pleased ...but not even :-(

We had a whole state who was rife with corruption the government fed the police department....it took ten years to wipe the slate clean and start over....now the stupid arses have gone so politically correct that the police are scared to do ANYTHING....its pathetic.

Quoting viv212:

I think so. I have. I think that's why people were "rooting" for him- because he tried to expose it and who else has ever done that?

Quoting turtle68:

viv212
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM
That's true. Be careful what you wish for, right?

Quoting turtle68:

I can see how that was appealing for most.  Even I thought he was going to bring them down...even a little.  So I was disappointed at how disorganized he actually was.  I thought the LAPD was going to shake a wee bit and was secretly pleased ...but not even :-(

We had a whole state who was rife with corruption the government fed the police department....it took ten years to wipe the slate clean and start over....now the stupid arses have gone so politically correct that the police are scared to do ANYTHING....its pathetic.

Quoting viv212:

Quoting turtle68:

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I care about him shooting himself in the head as much as I care about Adam Lanza shooting himself in the head. They are both disgusting cold blooded killers. They both could have given themselves up but they did. You can say well they would have killed him anyway but we will never know because he took his own like to make himself the martyr you are making him out to be.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

You say he shot himself in the head. Other people would disagree. There was a deputy that reported he shot Christopher Dorner in the head.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=330938277023308&id=149828588467612&comment_id=27749822&offset=0&total_comments=112

It's not a, "we will never know" situation. They -thought- they found him twice and both times shot at the trucks without even confirming if it was really him. That means even if he tried to turn himself in. He would have been shot in his truck.

Have you seen the interviews of the hostages he took? None of them had anything bad to say about him. All of them are accommodated in some way. Whether it is letting them go safely, letting them take their dog, leaving their phone next to them so they can get help after they escape.

If he killed all these people as a cold blooded killer would do-He would still be free. But he didn't. Like any officer or soldier who kills during their mission they are doing what they think are right. That is what Christopher Dorner was doing. And clearly he was wrong to kill the people he did. But if he was a disgusting cold blooded killer he would have killed those hostages/people he ran into. And he would probably still be out there today.

And that's if he killed them. There was never a trial to figure out if he did. So I can correctly use the phrase, "We will never know" because instead of attempting to arrest him at every turn they tried to kill him.

Quoting soonergirl980:

I care about him shooting himself in the head as much as I care about Adam Lanza shooting himself in the head. They are both disgusting cold blooded killers. They both could have given themselves up but they did. You can say well they would have killed him anyway but we will never know because he took his own like to make himself the martyr you are making him out to be.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM

The excuses that people like you are making for him is down right appalling. The same people calling me and other gun owners "gun nuts" who don't care about the lives of the victims are now throwing out bullshit excuses to explain away this mans behavior. hes not a cold blooded killer because he was on a "mission". I'm sure his victims who were INNOCENT thought he was a sweetheart right before he ripped the life out of them.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

You say he was shot in the head. Other people would disagree. There was a deputy that reported he shot him in the head.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=330938277023308&id=149828588467612&comment_id=27749822&offset=0&total_comments=112

It's not a, "we will never know" situation. They -thought- they found him twice and both times shot at the trucks without even confirming if it was really him. That means even if he tried to turn himself in. He would have been shot in his truck.

Have you seen the interviews of the hostages he took? None of them had anything bad to say about him. All of them are accommodated in some way. Whether it is letting them go safely, letting them take their dog, leaving their phone next to them so they can get help after they escape.

If he killed all these people as a cold blooded killer would do-He would still be free. But he didn't. Like any officer or soldier who kills during their mission they are doing what they think are right. That is what Christopher Dorner was doing. And clearly he was wrong to kill the people he did. But if he was a disgusting cold blooded killer he would have killed those hostages/people he ran into. And he would probably still be out there today.

Quoting soonergirl980:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN