Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Food Stamp Rolls in America Now Surpass the Population of Spain

Posted by   + Show Post

Food Stamp Rolls in America Now Surpass the Population of Spain

February 11, 2013

food stamps

(AP Image)

(CNSNews.com) – Since taking office in 2009, food stamp rolls under President Barack Obama have risen to more than 47 million people in America, exceeding the population of Spain.

“Now is the time to act boldly and wisely – to not only revive this economy, but to build a new foundation for lasting prosperity,” said Obama during his first joint session address to Congress on Feb. 24, 2009.

Since then, the number of participants enrolled in food stamps, known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), has risen substantially.

When Obama entered office in January 2009 there were 31,939,110 Americans receiving food stamps. As of November 2012—the most recent data available—there were 47,692,896 Americans enrolled, an increase of 49.3 percent.

According to the 2011 census, Spain had a population of 46,815,916.

Furthermore, between January 2009 and November 2012 the food stamp program added approximately an average 11,269 recipients per day.

President Obama will deliver his fourth State of the Union address Tuesday evening. Obama is expected to focus on jobs and the economy.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Okay so what people are saying "Let's take away this program that feeds kids and families who don't normally have the means to feed their family?" 

I swear some of you ladies never cease to amaze me with your "Take from the poor and give to the rich" mentalities. 

47million plus people are on the program.... oh well... and just as quick as people are getting on it... there are people getting off of it who don't need it anymore.

There are also a lot more eldery today than there were in 2009, more babies, and companies are folding, closing, cutting positions, etc. Really? Do you people not take that into account?

More babies?  There should not be more babies during an economic crisis.  During the Depression people had fewer children.  That is how we should be responding also.

more babies

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:37 PM

There should be.... but reality today... there isn't. This isn't the great depression where people had the mindset they used to have.... :( DF and I agreed no more babies until we can definitely afford another one along with the 2 we already have (mine from previous relationships). I wish more people had that mindset but unfortunately they don't.

Quoting futureshock:
Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Okay so what people are saying "Let's take away this program that feeds kids and families who don't normally have the means to feed their family?" 

I swear some of you ladies never cease to amaze me with your "Take from the poor and give to the rich" mentalities. 

47million plus people are on the program.... oh well... and just as quick as people are getting on it... there are people getting off of it who don't need it anymore.

There are also a lot more eldery today than there were in 2009, more babies, and companies are folding, closing, cutting positions, etc. Really? Do you people not take that into account?

More babies?  There should not be more babies during an economic crisis.  During the Depression people had fewer children.  That is how we should be responding also.

more babies

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/luvmykidz04

Wedding Countdown Ticker

meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

It does seem counter intutituve. 

I read that Walmart could increase all employees wages by $5,000 and they would still have a $17 billion profit. 

Something more is going on here. 

Quoting brookiecookie87:

The part I find puzzling is despite more people needing help with food. There are other (Normally extremely wealthy people) suggesting we should do away with minimum wages.

And that we should increase taxes on them. 

Yep, something more is going on. The corporate mindset these days is profit for profits sake, the more profit the better and there's never enough of it...you know.... Greed.

I don't think things will really get all that much better unless/until it is made unprofitable for companies to move jobs overseas and I don't see that happening.

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:06 AM
4 moms liked this

Could it be because 47% of America is poverty level?

However 96% of Americans have received some sort of government support. 

And I really do not think the 4% are represented on Cafemom.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:37 AM
3 moms liked this

Majority of the people added to the rolls were added due to the recession that STARTED in 2007 and exploded at the end of 2008...we are STILL recovering.

blaming that on Obama is assanine.

On another note, republicans REFUSE to deal with one important issue regarding food stamps and that is PAY

We should not have people working full time and making BELOW the poverty line. CEO's and the TOP have seen their salaries EXPLODE while lower workers (middle & lower class workers) have stagnated and in some cases declined....all while the cost of living has increased.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Majority of the people added to the rolls were added due to the recession that STARTED in 2007 and exploded at the end of 2008...we are STILL recovering.

On another note, republicans REFUSE to deal with one important issue regarding food stamps and that is PAY

We should not have people working full time and making BELOW the poverty line. CEO's and the TOP have seen their salaries EXPLODE while lower workers (middle & lower class workers) have stagnated and in some cases declined....all while the cost of living has increased.

Those same CEO's are constantly complaining about corporate taxes being too high and they seem to get a lot of support in that from very average people. People who believe their claim that lowering the corporate tax rate will result in more jobs since paying all those taxes takes funds which would otherwise be used to create jobs. Well here's what one BILLION dollar company has had to pay in Federal Income Tax....and I'm pretty positive they're not the only one that has had to pay such a HUGE amount, after all, isn't it always said that the corporations and the extremely wealthy pay 80% of the taxes?

Facebook....Federal Income tax owed:  O.     Federal Income tax REFUND:  429 MILLION.    http://www.techradar.com/au/news/web/internet/anger-as-facebook-in-line-for-429m-tax-refund-despite-1-billion-profit-1131744

Yep, they're paying way to much in corporate taxes

shimmifairy
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Well, there are about to be 4 more on the rolls...my husband is currently in CICU because of a heart attack ans 6 way bypass...I work as a paralegal but do contingency fee cases where I get 3% of the attorneys pay out...it's going to be months -if ever- before he can go back to work...how about telling ME how entitled,lazy,useless to society we are...how about explaining to ME how my children shouldn't eat....

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Do you take into account that there are many that are on the welfare gravy train that does not belong there? Heck, I know several myself that shouldn't be on food stamps that are enjoying steaks off the ole' government.  There needs to be more oversight and there needs to be an investigation on who is getting what.  This has nothing to do with taking kids of welfare.  This is about making the government accountable and making sure that they are doing their job completely.  For as some of us know, the government is a slow moving, lazy machine that does not do it due diligence when it comes to handing out money.....

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Prove it your first sentence because the stats are not showing it.

Yes, Jimmy Carter has turned over his welfare crown over to Obama and yes, Obama will go down in history has the welfare King.

Obama is crushing the middle class with his taxes, keeping corp taxes high and supporting the Unions that help keep the cost of living high. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Food depots.   That is the way the to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN