Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fox mocks Wiccans

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM
  • 59 Replies
Anyone surprised? LOL

The hosts of Fox & Friends Sunday attacked the Wiccan religion, discounting its adherents as either Dungeons & Dragons players or "middle-aged, twice-divorced" women who "like a lot of incense."

On the February 17 edition of the show, hosts Tucker Carlson, Anna Kooiman, and Clayton Morris discussed a story about the University of Missouri including Wiccan holidays alongside those for other faiths in the university's Guide to Religions, which aides faculty, staff, and students in planning activities. Carlson claimed that "Every Wiccan I've ever known is either a compulsive Dungeons & Dragons player or is a middle-aged, twice-divorced older woman living in a rural area who works as a midwife." Morris added, "And likes a lot of incense."

From the show:

CARLSON: The bad side of Wiccanism is it's obviously a form of witchcraft. But the upside is you get a ton of holidays. Twenty percent of all school holidays, as described by the University of Missouri, are Wiccan holidays. Twenty percent of all.

[...]

MORRIS: But you get 20 holidays now if you're a Wiccan. I guess that's the one to go with, right? I mean, that's certainly the one. If you're going to pick one, go with the one with the most holidays.

CARLSON: Except any religion whose most sacred day is Halloween, I just can't take seriously. I mean, call me a bigot. And I'm not, you know, not offering an editorial against Wiccanism.

MORRIS: Well, that would be more the pagan side of it, right, would be Halloween.

CARLSON: How many Wiccans can name every Wiccan holiday? Or 50 percent of Wiccan holidays?

KOOIMAN: I don't know, a single Wiccan.

MORRIS: I will say this, because, you know, we're journalists and I have covered this. I actually went -- because there was some backlash a number of years ago against Wiccans, and I remember I had to do a story and I went and interviewed a number of Wiccans and they say, "Look, we are the most peaceful individuals, we don't practice crazy things, we're just of the earth, we believe in" --

CARLSON: I think that's right. Every Wiccan I've ever known is either a compulsive Dungeons & Dragons player or is a middle-aged, twice-divorced older woman living in a rural area who works as a midwife.

MORRIS: And likes a lot of incense.

CARLSON: Yeah, totally.

Both Carlson and Morris mocked the number of Wiccan holidays, with Morris saying that if one is picking a religion, "go with the one with the most holidays." According to The Washington Times, "There are 42 holidays listed in the university's calendar, with Jewish holidays counting for eleven, Wiccan and pagan holidays for eight and Christian holidays for seven."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/02/17/fox-news-attacks-wiccans/192713
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Sorry for how it c/p'd. Stupid mobile.
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:25 PM
8 moms liked this

Are we surprised?

Gods forbid someone try to celebrate their own holidays, or even worship a different deity. And they want their faith to be treated respectfully ... bloody hypocrites

lga1965
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL. I don't know very much about Wiccans. But I do know that those Fox (Faux) people are dorks. I can make fun of them! They aren't too smart .....

See what I mean? LOL.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM
3 moms liked this

However.. it is ok for Christians to mock non christians... remember that. They are the priviledged elite of our totally giving society.....

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Priviliged? Wait...I thought they were persecuted?

Quoting Sekirei:

However.. it is ok for Christians to mock non christians... remember that. They are the priviledged elite of our totally giving society.....

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh.. that's only when something isn't going their way.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Priviliged? Wait...I thought they were persecuted?

Quoting Sekirei:

OneDay.
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Smh
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this
Our heritage consists largely of mocking the heritages of others. You can't take that away from me!
JazzyMommyx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM
2 moms liked this
SMH... you know if it was wiccans saying this about Christians there would be a shitstorm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Yep.

Quoting JazzyMommyx3:

SMH... you know if it was wiccans saying this about Christians there would be a shitstorm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN