Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Anyone surprised? LOL

The hosts of Fox & Friends Sunday attacked the Wiccan religion, discounting its adherents as either Dungeons & Dragons players or "middle-aged, twice-divorced" women who "like a lot of incense."

On the February 17 edition of the show, hosts Tucker Carlson, Anna Kooiman, and Clayton Morris discussed a story about the University of Missouri including Wiccan holidays alongside those for other faiths in the university's Guide to Religions, which aides faculty, staff, and students in planning activities. Carlson claimed that "Every Wiccan I've ever known is either a compulsive Dungeons & Dragons player or is a middle-aged, twice-divorced older woman living in a rural area who works as a midwife." Morris added, "And likes a lot of incense."

From the show:

CARLSON: The bad side of Wiccanism is it's obviously a form of witchcraft. But the upside is you get a ton of holidays. Twenty percent of all school holidays, as described by the University of Missouri, are Wiccan holidays. Twenty percent of all.

[...]

MORRIS: But you get 20 holidays now if you're a Wiccan. I guess that's the one to go with, right? I mean, that's certainly the one. If you're going to pick one, go with the one with the most holidays.

CARLSON: Except any religion whose most sacred day is Halloween, I just can't take seriously. I mean, call me a bigot. And I'm not, you know, not offering an editorial against Wiccanism.

MORRIS: Well, that would be more the pagan side of it, right, would be Halloween.

CARLSON: How many Wiccans can name every Wiccan holiday? Or 50 percent of Wiccan holidays?

KOOIMAN: I don't know, a single Wiccan.

MORRIS: I will say this, because, you know, we're journalists and I have covered this. I actually went -- because there was some backlash a number of years ago against Wiccans, and I remember I had to do a story and I went and interviewed a number of Wiccans and they say, "Look, we are the most peaceful individuals, we don't practice crazy things, we're just of the earth, we believe in" --

CARLSON: I think that's right. Every Wiccan I've ever known is either a compulsive Dungeons & Dragons player or is a middle-aged, twice-divorced older woman living in a rural area who works as a midwife.

MORRIS: And likes a lot of incense.

CARLSON: Yeah, totally.

Both Carlson and Morris mocked the number of Wiccan holidays, with Morris saying that if one is picking a religion, "go with the one with the most holidays." According to The Washington Times, "There are 42 holidays listed in the university's calendar, with Jewish holidays counting for eleven, Wiccan and pagan holidays for eight and Christian holidays for seven."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/02/17/fox-news-attacks-wiccans/192713
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (11-20):
redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM
*sigh.....facepalm*
moniagee
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I disagree with the Wiccan faith, but I still find that offensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punky3175
by Punky on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
As I was sitting in my class on Wicca last night, the 22 yr old girl sitting behind me mentioned seeing the original story on Fox news. Wonder if she saw this one.

And I don't know any twice divorced, middle aged women in our local pagan community. There are a lot of gamers though (I'm not one of them.)
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

My neighbor in Hawaii was Wiccan. Young, first marriage, very athletic. Took her dogs for runs twice a day while hubby was at work. :3

Quoting punky3175:

As I was sitting in my class on Wicca last night, the 22 yr old girl sitting behind me mentioned seeing the original story on Fox news. Wonder if she saw this one.

And I don't know any twice divorced, middle aged women in our local pagan community. There are a lot of gamers though (I'm not one of them.)

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this

As a Christian, with friends of many beliefs, and with some of my closest friends being Wiccan, this is offensive.

On the other hand, the same sort of mocking has already taken place in this thread. Two wrongs don't make a right ... regardless of who does wrong first. There are moms here who consistently mock Christians (not necessarily in this thread) and consider it 'free speech', just 'stating their opinion', etc. People are either tolerant or they aren't. I've pretty much gotten to the point where if someone slaps my second cheek before I have a chance to turn my head, they get what they give ~ although that seems to be the norm online, and the rare exception in real life.

It's sort of a downer, because even though my beliefs and faith are firmly in place, I very much enjoy discussing other religions and beliefs, as well as their different holy days and celebrations. I generally avoid religious discussions of any sort here because of the constant angst and people who seem to have nothing better to do with their time than mock others. And ~ to be clear ~ from what I just read in this article, that is all these people on Fox were doing. The more I read about tv, the happier I am that I turned mine off years ago.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
The mockery going on in this post is toward an attitude and not toward a belief system, so no...not at all the same. Yes, there are moms that mock Christians, and just as I don't appreciate my belief system being mocked, I don't do it to others. I will, however, mock a shitty attitude.

Quoting Farmlady09:

As a Christian, with friends of many beliefs, and with some of my closest friends being Wiccan, this is offensive.

On the other hand, the same sort of mocking has already taken place in this thread. Two wrongs don't make a right ... regardless of who does wrong first. There are moms here who consistently mock Christians (not necessarily in this thread) and consider it 'free speech', just 'stating their opinion', etc. People are either tolerant or they aren't. I've pretty much gotten to the point where if someone slaps my second cheek before I have a chance to turn my head, they get what they give ~ although that seems to be the norm online, and the rare exception in real life.

It's sort of a downer, because even though my beliefs and faith are firmly in place, I very much enjoy discussing other religions and beliefs, as well as their different holy days and celebrations. I generally avoid religious discussions of any sort here because of the constant angst and people who seem to have nothing better to do with their time than mock others. And ~ to be clear ~ from what I just read in this article, that is all these people on Fox were doing. The more I read about tv, the happier I am that I turned mine off years ago.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I tend to do the same anymore, although it's been bugging me and I don't like myself much afterward, which is why I generally avoid any religious discussion on CM now. I see the same thing at some other sites, but not all ... so I think it's just certain groups of people. I prefer not to present myself that way, but if I'm honest, I'm sick of being told I'm 'backward', 'brainwashed', or can't live without my 'invisible friend', and it hurts and makes me angry. Not a good place to be, so I've just decided to skip it entirely.

I've seen that attitude from every side, not just one. I also see that a lot of people take adherence to one's belief as a show of 'intolerance', even those they themselves are just as adamant that what they believe is right for them. Again, it's not something I feel is worth arguing over, and certainly not mocking others for. Mostly it just comes across as the same things as bullying or schoolyard fights because someone isn't wearing the 'right' pair of sneakers or jeans. People are what they are, and they believe what they believe. But, I see the same 'attitudes' over breast/bottle feeding, vaccination, and just about every topic here. Maybe it's just a CM thing.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

The mockery going on in this post is toward an attitude and not toward a belief system, so no...not at all the same. Yes, there are moms that mock Christians, and just as I don't appreciate my belief system being mocked, I don't do it to others. I will, however, mock a shitty attitude.

Quoting Farmlady09:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

On Fox.

Many posters here would find it funny.

Quoting JazzyMommyx3:

SMH... you know if it was wiccans saying this about Christians there would be a shitstorm.

mrssummerlin
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM
**sigh**
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Quoting ..MoonShine..:

CARLSON: How many Wiccans can name every Wiccan holiday? Or 50 percent of Wiccan holidays?

Well, to be fair, there's little reason to remember names like "Litha" when you can call them by the time of year (eg "the summer soltice").

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)