Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Anyone surprised? LOL

The hosts of Fox & Friends Sunday attacked the Wiccan religion, discounting its adherents as either Dungeons & Dragons players or "middle-aged, twice-divorced" women who "like a lot of incense."

On the February 17 edition of the show, hosts Tucker Carlson, Anna Kooiman, and Clayton Morris discussed a story about the University of Missouri including Wiccan holidays alongside those for other faiths in the university's Guide to Religions, which aides faculty, staff, and students in planning activities. Carlson claimed that "Every Wiccan I've ever known is either a compulsive Dungeons & Dragons player or is a middle-aged, twice-divorced older woman living in a rural area who works as a midwife." Morris added, "And likes a lot of incense."

From the show:

CARLSON: The bad side of Wiccanism is it's obviously a form of witchcraft. But the upside is you get a ton of holidays. Twenty percent of all school holidays, as described by the University of Missouri, are Wiccan holidays. Twenty percent of all.

[...]

MORRIS: But you get 20 holidays now if you're a Wiccan. I guess that's the one to go with, right? I mean, that's certainly the one. If you're going to pick one, go with the one with the most holidays.

CARLSON: Except any religion whose most sacred day is Halloween, I just can't take seriously. I mean, call me a bigot. And I'm not, you know, not offering an editorial against Wiccanism.

MORRIS: Well, that would be more the pagan side of it, right, would be Halloween.

CARLSON: How many Wiccans can name every Wiccan holiday? Or 50 percent of Wiccan holidays?

KOOIMAN: I don't know, a single Wiccan.

MORRIS: I will say this, because, you know, we're journalists and I have covered this. I actually went -- because there was some backlash a number of years ago against Wiccans, and I remember I had to do a story and I went and interviewed a number of Wiccans and they say, "Look, we are the most peaceful individuals, we don't practice crazy things, we're just of the earth, we believe in" --

CARLSON: I think that's right. Every Wiccan I've ever known is either a compulsive Dungeons & Dragons player or is a middle-aged, twice-divorced older woman living in a rural area who works as a midwife.

MORRIS: And likes a lot of incense.

CARLSON: Yeah, totally.

Both Carlson and Morris mocked the number of Wiccan holidays, with Morris saying that if one is picking a religion, "go with the one with the most holidays." According to The Washington Times, "There are 42 holidays listed in the university's calendar, with Jewish holidays counting for eleven, Wiccan and pagan holidays for eight and Christian holidays for seven."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/02/17/fox-news-attacks-wiccans/192713
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:47 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting ..MoonShine..:

CARLSON: Except any religion whose most sacred day is Halloween, I just can't take seriously. I mean, call me a bigot. 

Does he realise Halloween is Christian, do you suppose?

Here's something I wrote last year, after doing some research:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Halloween is on October 31st

I've seen some people posting that Halloween is supernatural.  That's it is the day upon which Satan is strongest, or that the barriers between this world and the world of the dead are weakest.

So is that why Halloween is on October 31st?  Because October 31st is a day with specific supernatural properties?

A brief history of how Halloween acquired its date

The Christian church has always sanctioned praying for the dead.  The earliest evidence of this we have comes from inscriptions in catacombs from the the second century AD, and there is evidence (from the writings of Saint Augustine, 354 - 430 AD) of prayers for the dead being chanted as part of church services.

These later became formalised into the liturgy as The Office of the Dead, Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine: et lux perpetua luceat eis.  (translation: " Eternal rest give unto them O Lord: and let perpetual light shine unto them. ")  (source) (source) (source)

609AD - Pope Boniface IV created an annual celebration in the church calendar, to take place each May 13th, the Feast of All Holy Martyrs, to remember any martyrs who hadn't managed to be given an individual saint's day.

837AD -  Pope Gregory IV renamed it to the Feast of All Saints, extended it to cover all saints, not just martyred ones, and moved the date to November 1st.  He made the following day (November 2nd) be the Feast of All Souls (those about to become saints).

998AD - because the Catholic church didn't allow holding a feast and a vigil on the same day, Odilo, (an abbot at Cluny, in the Brittany region of France) started holding a vigil for the souls of people being cleaned of venial sins in purgatory the day before the two feasts.

During the following years, tradition built up around this in the surrounding countryside:

Breton families prayed by their beloveds' graves during the day, attended church for "black vespers" in the evening and in some parishes proceeded thence to the charnel house in the cemetery to pray by the bones of those not yet buried or for whom no room could be found in the cemetery. Here they sang hymns to call on all Christians to pray for the dead and, speaking for the dead, they asked prayers and more prayers.

Late in the evening in the country parishes, after supper was over, the housewives would spread a clean cloth on the table, set out pancakes, curds, and cider. And after the fire was banked and chairs set round the table for the returning loved ones, the family would recite the De Profundis (Psalm 129) again and go to bed.

It is only later, as this started to become a formalised celebration in its own right, and spread to other parts of Christendom, that a superstition arose that on thise particular three nights the souls of loved ones could return the Earth.  During the night a townsman would go about the streets ringing a bell to warn people that it was unwise to roam abroad at the time of returning souls. (source) (source) (source)

Did the later celebrations (particularly in Scotland) become conflated with earlier pagan celebrations from the same season of the year?  Yes.   Did the pagan celebrations influence the picking of the specific date October 31st?  No.  When you read up on the history of Odilio, it becomes quite evident that there is nothing at all supernatural about that particular date and, indeed, it would have been held on November 2nd if not for inconvenient church regulations about vigils and feasts.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:28 AM
1 mom liked this

That's too bad...NO religion should be mocked. 

stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this

The stupidity of that conversation ....I think I lost brain cells reading it.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting toomanypoodles:

That's too bad...NO religion should be mocked. 

Or, at least, not by people who demand that their own religion be safe from mocking.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I've only been divorced once but I like incense, I don't think we have any midwives who live out in the country - we do have quite a few professionals. I watched the thing this morning because one of the blogs I read was discussing it. I chalk it up to the fact that Faux news don't really employ journalists. They employ paid actors that need to make fun of what they don't understand - 20% of all holidays. I wouldn't expect Faux to report accurately, the only holidays the University of Missouri recognize are the 8 Sabbat not sure where they got the 20, I mean if we are being realistic, we can find something to honor 365 days a year.

Quoting punky3175:

As I was sitting in my class on Wicca last night, the 22 yr old girl sitting behind me mentioned seeing the original story on Fox news. Wonder if she saw this one.

And I don't know any twice divorced, middle aged women in our local pagan community. There are a lot of gamers though (I'm not one of them.)

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I mock them too.  But I mock them all.

punky3175
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I'm not sure if I'm quite in that 'middle-age' demographic yet but I only have one divorce under my belt. Who doesn't like stuff that smells pretty?

And I wholly agree - we can always find something to be thankful for. I have a daily ritual to show thanks and appreciation for all the great things in my life.

Quoting mikiemom:

I've only been divorced once but I like incense, I don't think we have any midwives living in the country - we do have quite a few professionals. I watched the thing this morning because one of the blogs I read was discussing it. I chalk it up to the fact that Faux news don't really employ journalists. They employ paid actors that need to make fun of what they don't understand - 20% of all holidays. I wouldn't expect Faux to report accurately, the only holidays the University of Missouri recognize are the 8 Sabbat not sure where they got the 20, I mean if we are being realistic, we can find something to honor 365 days a year.

Quoting punky3175:

As I was sitting in my class on Wicca last night, the 22 yr old girl sitting behind me mentioned seeing the original story on Fox news. Wonder if she saw this one.

And I don't know any twice divorced, middle aged women in our local pagan community. There are a lot of gamers though (I'm not one of them.)

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM

If it were anyone else, it might bother me, even though I am not Wiccan, but it's coming from Faux, oops I mean Fox News. They are morons and this only serves to prove it. 

Wanted to share on FB but That link leads to a "not found" page and I can't find anything else. Nothing on Fox. Nothing on Alternet. I know they (fox) cannot scrub the story from the net. Does anyone have another link to this? 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:31 AM

As a Pagan Wiccan, I embrace the fact that my tradition excepts people no matter how on the fringe they may seem to be by folks in our society. One of the reasons I rejected christianity and "traditional" religions is illustrated beautifully by these Faux paid actors. I don't want to be a part of something that acts that way towards others. If your traditional beliefs consist of hate, bigotry, and mocking of of other people you might want to rethink your traditions. I am pleasantly surprised that we haven't seen any of the typical christian privilege that we usually see in threads like this.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I saw it on You-tube this morning, Yes I believe Faux has scrubbed it.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

If it were anyone else, it might bother me, even though I am not Wiccan, but it's coming from Faux, oops I mean Fox News. They are morons and this only serves to prove it. 

Wanted to share on FB but That link leads to a "not found" page and I can't find anything else. Nothing on Fox. Nothing on Alternet. I know they (fox) cannot scrub the story from the net. Does anyone have another link to this? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN