Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Anyone surprised? LOL

The hosts of Fox & Friends Sunday attacked the Wiccan religion, discounting its adherents as either Dungeons & Dragons players or "middle-aged, twice-divorced" women who "like a lot of incense."

On the February 17 edition of the show, hosts Tucker Carlson, Anna Kooiman, and Clayton Morris discussed a story about the University of Missouri including Wiccan holidays alongside those for other faiths in the university's Guide to Religions, which aides faculty, staff, and students in planning activities. Carlson claimed that "Every Wiccan I've ever known is either a compulsive Dungeons & Dragons player or is a middle-aged, twice-divorced older woman living in a rural area who works as a midwife." Morris added, "And likes a lot of incense."

From the show:

CARLSON: The bad side of Wiccanism is it's obviously a form of witchcraft. But the upside is you get a ton of holidays. Twenty percent of all school holidays, as described by the University of Missouri, are Wiccan holidays. Twenty percent of all.

[...]

MORRIS: But you get 20 holidays now if you're a Wiccan. I guess that's the one to go with, right? I mean, that's certainly the one. If you're going to pick one, go with the one with the most holidays.

CARLSON: Except any religion whose most sacred day is Halloween, I just can't take seriously. I mean, call me a bigot. And I'm not, you know, not offering an editorial against Wiccanism.

MORRIS: Well, that would be more the pagan side of it, right, would be Halloween.

CARLSON: How many Wiccans can name every Wiccan holiday? Or 50 percent of Wiccan holidays?

KOOIMAN: I don't know, a single Wiccan.

MORRIS: I will say this, because, you know, we're journalists and I have covered this. I actually went -- because there was some backlash a number of years ago against Wiccans, and I remember I had to do a story and I went and interviewed a number of Wiccans and they say, "Look, we are the most peaceful individuals, we don't practice crazy things, we're just of the earth, we believe in" --

CARLSON: I think that's right. Every Wiccan I've ever known is either a compulsive Dungeons & Dragons player or is a middle-aged, twice-divorced older woman living in a rural area who works as a midwife.

MORRIS: And likes a lot of incense.

CARLSON: Yeah, totally.

Both Carlson and Morris mocked the number of Wiccan holidays, with Morris saying that if one is picking a religion, "go with the one with the most holidays." According to The Washington Times, "There are 42 holidays listed in the university's calendar, with Jewish holidays counting for eleven, Wiccan and pagan holidays for eight and Christian holidays for seven."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/02/17/fox-news-attacks-wiccans/192713
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM

lol middle-aged here, creeping into crone territory. I just love incense because it is fire I love putting it in the cauldron. Someone should send the link of 365 Goddess book to Faux.  

Quoting punky3175:

I'm not sure if I'm quite in that 'middle-age' demographic yet but I only have one divorce under my belt. Who doesn't like stuff that smells pretty?

And I wholly agree - we can always find something to be thankful for. I have a daily ritual to show thanks and appreciation for all the great things in my life.

Quoting mikiemom:

I've only been divorced once but I like incense, I don't think we have any midwives living in the country - we do have quite a few professionals. I watched the thing this morning because one of the blogs I read was discussing it. I chalk it up to the fact that Faux news don't really employ journalists. They employ paid actors that need to make fun of what they don't understand - 20% of all holidays. I wouldn't expect Faux to report accurately, the only holidays the University of Missouri recognize are the 8 Sabbat not sure where they got the 20, I mean if we are being realistic, we can find something to honor 365 days a year.

Quoting punky3175:

As I was sitting in my class on Wicca last night, the 22 yr old girl sitting behind me mentioned seeing the original story on Fox news. Wonder if she saw this one.

And I don't know any twice divorced, middle aged women in our local pagan community. There are a lot of gamers though (I'm not one of them.)

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Hmmm...I'm surprised my Fox News-addicted MIL didn't call us after hearing this. If it's on Fox News, it must be true!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my4kids274
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I am Christian and I can honestly say that I do not mock non-Christians.  I have friends that I went to high school with that are Wiccan.  I am accepting of anyone.  Just me though.  I can not speak for others. 

Quoting Sekirei:

However.. it is ok for Christians to mock non christians... remember that. They are the priviledged elite of our totally giving society.....

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:41 AM

the part that is really telling about this that the christians think that recognizing Pagan holidays is an attack on christianity. That shows their arrogance and ignorance all in one segment.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:54 AM

...wow, that is beyond disrespectful.  

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM
3 moms liked this

Sooo....also want to say, what's wrong with D n D?  LOL. I'm a Christian, but also a gamer and once DnD player.

Oh dear, guess I'm bringing a bad name to christians lol 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Oh Fox, smh.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Quoting katzmeow726:

Sooo....also want to say, what's wrong with D n D?  LOL. I'm a Christian, but also a gamer and once DnD player.

English - Dark Dungeons
©1984 by Jack T. Chick LLC
See this tract in other languages
E-mail this tract to a friend.

For more information on Dungeons and Dragons:
      • Straight Talk on Dungeons and Dragons
      • Is D & D more than a game?

Page  2

Page  3

Page  4

Page  5

Page  6

Page  7

Page  8

Page  9

Page  10

Page  11

Page  12

Page  13

Page  14

Page  15

Page  16

Page  17

Page  18

Page  19

Page  20

Page  21

Page  22

Page 23

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

what the fuck did I just read - good gravy.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting katzmeow726:

English - Dark Dungeons
©1984 by Jack T. Chick LLC
See this tract in other languages
E-mail this tract to a friend.

For more information on Dungeons and Dragons:
      • Straight Talk on Dungeons and Dragons
      • Is D & D more than a game?

Page  2

Page  3

Page  4

Page  5

Page  6

Page  7

Page  8

Page  9

Page  10

Page  11

Page  12

Page  13

Page  14

Page  15

Page  16

Page  17

Page  18

Page  19

Page  20

Page  21

Page  22

Page 23

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN