Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Anyone surprised? LOL

The hosts of Fox & Friends Sunday attacked the Wiccan religion, discounting its adherents as either Dungeons & Dragons players or "middle-aged, twice-divorced" women who "like a lot of incense."

On the February 17 edition of the show, hosts Tucker Carlson, Anna Kooiman, and Clayton Morris discussed a story about the University of Missouri including Wiccan holidays alongside those for other faiths in the university's Guide to Religions, which aides faculty, staff, and students in planning activities. Carlson claimed that "Every Wiccan I've ever known is either a compulsive Dungeons & Dragons player or is a middle-aged, twice-divorced older woman living in a rural area who works as a midwife." Morris added, "And likes a lot of incense."

From the show:

CARLSON: The bad side of Wiccanism is it's obviously a form of witchcraft. But the upside is you get a ton of holidays. Twenty percent of all school holidays, as described by the University of Missouri, are Wiccan holidays. Twenty percent of all.

[...]

MORRIS: But you get 20 holidays now if you're a Wiccan. I guess that's the one to go with, right? I mean, that's certainly the one. If you're going to pick one, go with the one with the most holidays.

CARLSON: Except any religion whose most sacred day is Halloween, I just can't take seriously. I mean, call me a bigot. And I'm not, you know, not offering an editorial against Wiccanism.

MORRIS: Well, that would be more the pagan side of it, right, would be Halloween.

CARLSON: How many Wiccans can name every Wiccan holiday? Or 50 percent of Wiccan holidays?

KOOIMAN: I don't know, a single Wiccan.

MORRIS: I will say this, because, you know, we're journalists and I have covered this. I actually went -- because there was some backlash a number of years ago against Wiccans, and I remember I had to do a story and I went and interviewed a number of Wiccans and they say, "Look, we are the most peaceful individuals, we don't practice crazy things, we're just of the earth, we believe in" --

CARLSON: I think that's right. Every Wiccan I've ever known is either a compulsive Dungeons & Dragons player or is a middle-aged, twice-divorced older woman living in a rural area who works as a midwife.

MORRIS: And likes a lot of incense.

CARLSON: Yeah, totally.

Both Carlson and Morris mocked the number of Wiccan holidays, with Morris saying that if one is picking a religion, "go with the one with the most holidays." According to The Washington Times, "There are 42 holidays listed in the university's calendar, with Jewish holidays counting for eleven, Wiccan and pagan holidays for eight and Christian holidays for seven."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/02/17/fox-news-attacks-wiccans/192713
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Replies (51-59):
RainyDayLazy
by Rainy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Yup. I remember while visiting my grandfather, my mom wouldn't even let me in the room my cousins were in when they played D&D.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Sooo....also want to say, what's wrong with D n D?  LOL. I'm a Christian, but also a gamer and once DnD player.

Oh dear, guess I'm bringing a bad name to christians lol 

English - Dark Dungeons
©1984 by Jack T. Chick LLC
See this tract in other languages
E-mail this tract to a friend.

For more information on Dungeons and Dragons:
      • Straight Talk on Dungeons and Dragons
      • Is D & D more than a game?

Page  4

what the fuck did I just read - good gravy.

It isn't a parody.  It is an entirely sincere Christian publication.   There are certain groups within Christianity who believe that witchcraft (ie spells and chants that have a real supernatural effect) works, and comes directly from Satan.  Some of them actively campaign against children being allowed access to roleplaying games such as D&D, and hand out printed leaflets like the above strip.

They think of it as a gateway drug (like Harry Potter).  There are more of them than you'd think (though by no means a majority).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM

...holy heck, my eye won't stop twitching lol

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Sooo....also want to say, what's wrong with D n D?  LOL. I'm a Christian, but also a gamer and once DnD player.

Oh dear, guess I'm bringing a bad name to christians lol 

English - Dark Dungeons
©1984 by Jack T. Chick LLC
See this tract in other languages
E-mail this tract to a friend.

For more information on Dungeons and Dragons:
      • Straight Talk on Dungeons and Dragons
      • Is D & D more than a game?

Page  2

Page  3

Page  4

Page  5

Page  6

Page  7

Page  8

Page  9

Page  10

Page  11

Page  12

Page  13

Page  14

Page  15

Page  16

Page  17

Page  18

Page  19

Page  20

Page  21

Page  22

Page 23

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
MamiJaAyla
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM

i hadn't seen that interview.  I saw a different one but in the one I saw they said there were 11 wiccan/pagan holidays in the calender.  The univerity prof. can't give tests on those days. The athiest and pagan were the same thing and celebrated nature and hey shouldn't you do that every day.  And that all pagans were anti estabilshment... meanwhile the pic. on the washington times (which is where I thought they had gotten their info.  but no its was from a right-wing college based/about college stuff newpaper) any ways the pic in the washington post is a Tech. Srgt. from the Air Force Academy... b/c you know all military folk are super antestablishment.

I think they'd be shocked at the amt of pagan military folk there are...

MamiJaAyla
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM

omg that comic.  I know its real to some people .... but OMG.  i just can't believe it.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Hilariously, with a few exceptions, the Wiccans I know actually fit that 'twice divorced women who like incense'...

Susan0805
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:55 PM
It was his observation... I dont see the big deal. My husband LOVES gaming, he plays all kinds of crazy magic based games for fun, they are imaginary; not real. I know it's not incents but I'm obsessed with candles, lol. I have one in every room. We are christian. I dont see the big deal. Are wiccans offended by the statement? Or are people just making a big deal of it to start stuff? They admitted they are not well acquanted with wiccans, and only gave their brief impression.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lhiannan
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

If you watch the pc police segment, which is what they are commenting on, the reporter basically claimed that allowing our holidays to be recognized wasn't about lifting us up, but was a political agenda to undermine the traditional values of the majority (christians), and that wiccans and pagans, being anti-establishment, should be livid in being used this way, and the fact that they misrepresented the religion and trivialized it as a valid form of faith is what people are pissed about.  If they ran something like this on Judaism, they'd probably have been fired.

Quoting Susan0805:

It was his observation... I dont see the big deal. My husband LOVES gaming, he plays all kinds of crazy magic based games for fun, they are imaginary; not real. I know it's not incents but I'm obsessed with candles, lol. I have one in every room. We are christian. I dont see the big deal. Are wiccans offended by the statement? Or are people just making a big deal of it to start stuff? They admitted they are not well acquanted with wiccans, and only gave their brief impression.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM

They didn't give an impression. Not really. They mocked and presented outright untruths. Opinion is one thing. Speaking so ignorantly on something they know ZERO about...is a whole other thing. 

Quoting Susan0805:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stormcris:

The stupidity of that conversation ....I think I lost brain cells reading it.

I was trying to come up with exactly what I thought about this article and this reply sums it up perfectly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN