Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Carlos Slim, World's Richest Man, Profiting Off 'Obamaphones' Aimed At Helping The Poor

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 16 Replies

Carlos Slim, World's Richest Man, Profiting Off 'Obamaphones' Aimed At Helping The Poor

Posted: 10/10/2012 5:20 pm Updated: 10/10/2012 5:20 pm

Carlos Slim Obamaphone

The world's richest man is apparently making a lot of money off a government program aimed at helping the poor Americans.

Every time someone gets a phone through Lifeline, a government program that gives phones to low-income Americans, TracPhone, a company in which Mexican telecom mogul Carlos Slim has a controlling stake, nets $10, Fox News reports. The company's CEO, Frederick "F.J." Pollak, who is a major Obama donor, also makes a profit from the data plans and minutes beneficiaries of the Lifeline program buy.

The Lifeline program has been pushed into the spotlight recently after a video surfaced of an Obama supporter saying she would be voting for the president because he gave her a free phone. Though the woman credited Obama for her phone, the president didn't start Lifeline; it began in 1984 -- Ronald Reagan was president then, for your information -- as a landline-only program, and President Clinton expanded it to include cell phones in 1996, according to the Atlantic Wire.

After the "Obamaphone Lady" video was posted on The Drudge Report, some alleged that the video's widespread circulation was fueled by racism, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Regardless of the controversy over the phone itself, the allegations that Slim is benefiting off a program aimed at helping the poor may only fuel characterizations of the $69 billion man as a super-rich mogul who capitalizes on the woes of others. Slim's son noted in an interview with Bloomberg in May that his father was taking advantage of the "opportunities" provided by the European Debt Crisis.

Critics, including hundreds of protesters at George Washington University in May, have also accused Slim of making his money off the backs of the Mexican people, as well as off of stifling the country's economic development. Slim has additionally urged us normals to continue working until we're at least 70, arguing that it would help to boost the world's struggling economies.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:46 AM

This article speaks for itself.

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Safeline, the free phone deal, is NOT an Obama program.

That is all.

ZanderandBella
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM
If he's making his money legally, no matter how ruthless or wrong it seems, then why attack him? I'll never understand this attack rich people. He has the hard shell, guts and willingness to do what he needs to in order to make money and he's the richest man because of it. Someone is going to make the money, he's just making sure its him
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM
3 moms liked this

This is the second time you posted an Article that defeats the point you are trying to make in the article.

Quote:

it began in 1984 -- Ronald Reagan was president then, for your information -- as a landline-only program, and President Clinton expanded it to include cell phones in 1996, according to the Atlantic Wire.

Unless you are telling me that Obama is Ronald Reagan and was creating programs in 1984. Or unless you were telling me that Obama was controlling Ronald Reagan and/or Bill Clinton.

There are no Obamaphones.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

lga1965
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM
So he's greedy.
The free phone program began decades ago so you can't call them "Obama phones"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Can you tell me the source of this article, please?

I have an acquaintance that is a rabid Obama hater who refuses to believe that the Lifeline program was started under Reagan and was made to include cell phones long before Obama was president. He claims I'm an idiot for stating the truth. And I must be a brainwashed zombie for voting for Obama. (even though I didn't)

I'm sure he will find some way to blame this on Obama though. Fucking nut job.

Oh, and he thinks Clinton was a great president. Wonder if clinton being responsible for Obamaphones will change his opinon on that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:32 PM
I bet that he will tell you that the source is lying. LOL.
They just have to hate Obama. Nutty people.

Quoting jllcali:

Can you tell me the source of this article, please?

I have an acquaintance that is a rabid Obama hater who refuses to believe that the Lifeline program was started under Reagan and was made to include cell phones long before Obama was president. He claims I'm an idiot for stating the truth. And I must be a brainwashed zombie for voting for Obama. (even though I didn't)

I'm sure he will find some way to blame this on Obama though. Fucking nut job.

Oh, and he thinks Clinton was a great president. Wonder if clinton being responsible for Obamaphones will change his opinon on that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

So what am I trying to say?  I don't recall writing anything except that the article speaks for itself.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

This is the second time you posted an Article that defeats the point you are trying to make in the article.

Quote:

it began in 1984 -- Ronald Reagan was president then, for your information -- as a landline-only program, and President Clinton expanded it to include cell phones in 1996, according to the Atlantic Wire.

Unless you are telling me that Obama is Ronald Reagan and was creating programs in 1984. Or unless you were telling me that Obama was controlling Ronald Reagan and/or Bill Clinton.

There are no Obamaphones.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Funny that the program has been around as long as it has but unless one personally benefited from it or knew someone who did, it seems very few were actually all that aware of it. I don't recall it ever being an issue until Obama became President, then suddenly they are "Obamaphones", it's a huge issue and evidence of Obama trying to destroy the country by making everyone completely dependent on Gov. largesse. SMH

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

If he is making his money legally, I don't see what your issue is. Do you know how much the banks that administer the welfare and unemployment EBT card programs make? It's obscene but Conservatives wanted these things sourced to private companies, instead of the govt, to save money.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN