Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A question for working moms: How do you afford daycare?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 193 Replies

Or if you don't pay for daycare how do you handle childcare while you are working?  To listen to some women it seems almost impossible for women to work because of the unaffordability of childcare.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM

bump

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this
I worked or went to school around my family's schedule. I have never paid money for child care, but I can understand that not everyone has a good support system available.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM

i work from home, i do most of my work when dd is sleeping or when dh is home. I also tutor for extra money, but my student is dh's cousin so he understands when dd is running around the house. they knew when I accepted the job that I wouldn't have someone to watch her, and it was fine with them since I'm working with them when it comes to my fees. 

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM

EITC:

Child Care
People who receive tax credits often use the funds to pay for child care. Credits, such as EITC, also free up resources for child care expenses by decreasing the amount of taxes owed. Research on single, working mothers suggests that EITCs can significantly reduce the risks of living in poverty by helping working mothers pay for child care, a key support to getting and maintaining a job.4

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/labor/earned-income-tax-credits-for-working-families.aspx

ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

When I was working I didn't pay for childcare. I worked 3-11 and my husband worked 9-5 so our son just stayed with my mom from 2 to whenever my husband got home. The hospital had a daycare for employees but I never even signed up for it.

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I'm in a somewhat unique position since my sister is my son's daycare provider.  She also cares for other children, not only my son.  Due to my schedule, she currently isn't charging me anything because he's there for a such a short period of time.  During school breaks she charges me $2.00/hour.

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM
My parents watch them two days a week.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DawnPratt23
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I work from home, so for work it isn't an issue. For medical appts its starting to become an issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are 12, 9 and 7. They have never been in daycare and i have almost always had a full time job(there was a short time when I stayed at home). 

Before we had kids my husband and I talked at length about childcare and working. We came to the conclusion that *for us* daycare was never an option. In the beginning we worked opposite shifts. We were both managers for the same company and even though we worked in different locations we were able to coordinate our schedules. 

After my 3rd child was born I took a part time job. I worked when he didn;t work.

I am now again working full time and work, for the most part, when my husband is home. 

andrea96
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I had my oldest when I was 28, so I had finished my bachelor's degree and had almost 6 years of experience in my career, which pays pretty well, when she was born. My youngest is 4.5 years younger than my oldest, so I only had about 2 months overlap where I paid full-time daycare for 2 children, except for school holidays and summer breaks. Now that they are both in school, and I didn't lose those 10 years of experience and pay increases, after school care and care during summer and school breaks is a very small percentage of my salary. My husband and I work in the same field, so our salaries are almost equal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN