Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question for working moms: How do you afford daycare?

Posted by   + Show Post

Or if you don't pay for daycare how do you handle childcare while you are working?  To listen to some women it seems almost impossible for women to work because of the unaffordability of childcare.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I'd like to know this too. Our state is doing away with daycare assistance April 1. The cheapest I've found so far is $550 a month and there's no way we can afford that yet.
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I finished my Master's degree before having my child. I make very good money because I planned my child.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM

When I start working I don't know what we will do.  We thought about working different shifts but DF works m-f 8-5 and I would work 2-10 5 days a week with a 3 week rotation for my days off.  Basically we'd have to pay for full time care even though 7 weekdays a month i'd be sitting at home while the kids would be at daycare (or home with me but still paying for care).  

With that option though it would be half day 5 days aweek but I'd have to drive them 20 minutes north just to go to work 20 minutes south of where i live or I'd take them to a daycare 20 minutes south and DF would have to drive that extra to pick them up.

The other option would be me working 6a-2p and DF still working 8-5.  They would be in daycare full time in town where DF works.  

I am hoping to find a nanny that can come here to watch them since we really only need care from 7:30-2:30 on the weekdays I work.  

newmommy430
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM
My son goes to school for about 6 hours during the week. My mom watches him for about 5 hours a week. I pay her $50/wk. My husband watches him on Saturdays.

I've had my SIL babysit before and a SAHM. I never paid more than $70/wk even before my son went to school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM
8 moms liked this

I provide free daycare for 2 to 3 working moms.  All of these moms are struggling without the burden of daycare so I honestly dont know what they would do if they had to pay for it.

gizmo538
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

MsRkg
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I had my career practically established by the time I had my kid, to the point where i had a very generous income and the availability and freedom to do what I want. Childcare cost really wasn't a major issue for us. My son's nanny/mother's helper was live-in the first year and I primarily worked from the home office. The next two years she wasn't live in anymore, and hubby and I would alternate the days when we worked from the home office or the actual office. And then once the kid was old enough for pre-school, he was there for a full day and either hubby, myself, or the nanny(who became more of a PA) would pick him depending on the schedule of for that day.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I had my son when I was in high school. At the time my mother had been laid off from her job and was out of work for almost two years. She stayed with my son during that time. 

When I started college, my mom finally found a job. So I had to put my son in daycare. Low and behold, to get daycare aid I had to be working a job. So I got a job at Kohl's. I worked just to pay for daycare so I could go to school. That ate up what little I made even with the daycare aid (it was never a lot). When I got a better paying job I was kicked off of daycare aid, despite the fact that even with the better paying job, I was still not able to afford the daycare. When my son entered daycare, it was $400 a month. I barely made that at my job. By the time my son was school age, it was $600 a month. And that was the cheapest daycare I could find that was at least decent. 

I did it because I had no other choice. I have always been a single mom and I never got any help from his father. I was not about to drop out of school and work a menial paying job for the rest of my life. I don't know how some people do it without aid. 

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM
My youngest goes to a wonderful daycare/preschool. We make enough money that daycare is not a huge expense for us. The expense will go down as well next school year when he starts 1st grade.

My older two are teenagers and I was a SAHM when they were younger.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nomadbrat83
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
For the first year of oldest dd's life they watches her. Otherwise we have just paid. At one time we were paying almost 1600 a month in daycare but that got to be too much so now we only pay 800 a month except during school breaks where we pay more.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured