Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A question for working moms: How do you afford daycare?

Posted by   + Show Post

Or if you don't pay for daycare how do you handle childcare while you are working?  To listen to some women it seems almost impossible for women to work because of the unaffordability of childcare.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Replies (191-193):
adulation
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Before Lila was in public school I was able to get daycare assistance.

Now that she is in kindergarten, this ISD has an Extended Day Program that is very affordable ($225/month) and they open at 630am until 745a (when they take them to the cafeteria for breakfast) and then again from 3p-630 pm.  I was lucky our school had openings. Other schools have long waiting lists for it.

I don't know what I'll do when/if I move to another school district that doesn't have this program.. probably loon k into the YMCA's programs.  Lila has a half sister who grew up in HISD and went to a YMCA after school program where the fee was based on the parents' income.

I guess this is a perk of being in a big city,... I've been told smaller towns don't have these options.

Before I got daycare assistance, when Lila was a toddler, I found a woman on craigslist with a son Lila's age who was a SAHM and needed a little extra spending money.  I paid her $20/day and worked right by her house, and I supplied Lila's meals myself as well as a few toys for Lila and her son to use.  I also got an extra car seat so she could take them to the Library some days, which was about  5 minute drive from her place.  It took a little while to find her.. I visited a few other women's homes and either they were filthy, or they were watching way too many other kids.

aj_mom
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Both my husband and I work full time so both of our kids are in daycare. It can make expenses tight but you do what you have to do.

However one of the main reasons I work is for my health insurance if I didn't work it would cost my husband almost an entire paycheck just to have me covered.

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:38 PM

It is hard to pay for daycare if you are only qualified to work low wage jobs. The daycare costs for my two kids would only be about a third of my net pay, if we chose to have me go back to work right now. That is for the only daycare provider I would be comfortable with, and I have had other women tell me I am insane for being willing to pay that much.

That being said, I stay home not because of cost, but because it is best for my family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN