Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A question for working moms: How do you afford daycare?

Posted by   + Show Post

Or if you don't pay for daycare how do you handle childcare while you are working?  To listen to some women it seems almost impossible for women to work because of the unaffordability of childcare.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Replies (21-30):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

When I was a single parent and working full time, I was receiving subsidized daycare, so she went to daycare weekdays and my grandmother watched her if I had to work on the weekends. I would never have been able to work and afford daycare if not for Gov. assistance.

With my other children, I was married and my husband and I worked opposite shifts so we didn't need daycare.

LiliMama18
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I pay $190/ week for m-f 9-530.
But both my husband and I work so it's not a gigantic expense, though I couldn't imagine having 2 kids in care.
I make more than my husband and I honestly couldn't imagine having to do it on one income.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

My kids were never in daycare because I couldn't afford it. My mom watched my kids. Right now my kids are in school and on days when they are out, my brother watches them.

Peanutx3
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I don't have a choice. I pay on average $1300 a month for 3 kids in daycare for before and after school care and I work days when the school is closed. This was obviously easier to afford with two incomes but I make enough betweeny salary, Matt's retirement, SSI, and life insurance money to cover the expense.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LiliMama18
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
To add: when I first had my daughter, I didn't work- my husband worked 2 jobs to make ends meet- I freelanced (writing) when I could and eventually found a job that initially just covered day care, but it was worth it because there was a lot of potential for growth and to learn new skills. I'm a writer by trade, and it was a marketing company. I went from pt blogger/content producer to ft media buying, to sales manager.
But I wouldn't have worked just to pay for daycare if it was a dead end job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM

My sister runs a daycare business and charges me very little.

jean_marie1987
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM

DH and I work alternating shifts. I currently have a full-time job and DH (for now) works part-time. We have done it this way since DS was born (although DH used to be the one with the full-time job), because we can't afford daycare.

TigOlBitties
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM
While we were working the same shifts, our son would either stay with his grandma (SOs mom) or grandpa (my dad). Our schedules only overlapped 3 days per week. Then, SO switched jobs and our schedules were opposite, so one of us was always able to be with him. Now, SO has been a SAHD the past 4 months or so and we haven't needed anyone to watch him. We will probably keep it this was until our 2.5 year old starts going to preschool a couple days per week...then SO will go back to work PT while he finishes college. I am finishing law school first though =].
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I made a lot of money.  My daycare was $3000 a month when my twins were in it.  I live in an expensive part of the country (NJ).  It still was less than my monthly salary, so it made sense to work. 

Now the kids are in school half day (Kinder) and I put them on the bus, and DH gets them off the bus.  But they do a half day wrap around program that is only $825 a month for the two of them.  Yeah, we felt like we hit the lottery big time when daycare ended.

I don't know ... most people I know have their kids in daycare ... and $1200 to $1500 a kid is the norm.  But then in this area, salaries tend to be higher as well, so it goes hand in hand.

krise
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I have a good paying job, it hasn't been an issue thank God.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured