Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A question for working moms: How do you afford daycare?

Posted by   + Show Post

Or if you don't pay for daycare how do you handle childcare while you are working?  To listen to some women it seems almost impossible for women to work because of the unaffordability of childcare.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Replies (31-40):
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, when my first son was born, I worked (as I still had a corporate job) went back to work within a few weeks, until he was 6 months old, then my project was over and I quit.

I drove every day, 1 hour to bring him to my mom's. Then, an hour across the bay to my office, and back again. They were long days, bu tI wouldn't leave him with anyone else. Once my triplets were born, my parents moved to my city, and helped. I didn't return to work until they were 3-4 and then they had 2 days a week of preschool, and my mom helped out a lot. I didn't work full time when they were younger.

My good friend took night shift jobs, so her husband was with the baby at night, and she took care of the child during the day.

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Me and hubby work different shafts and we have family around to watch DD if we need it but I know that's not always an option for everyone
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mylifemylove864
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this
You have a degree before you have kids.so you can get a job where the cost of daycare isn't an issue.

Then you don't have more kids than you can afford daycare for. And viola its not an issue.
rgba
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Honestly, I have a great salary.

I guess I am the opposite of the women you are talking about. I would love to stay home, but make too much right now for that to be a valid option (I make more than DH).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I wrote a check.

Of course, I had the money because I chose to wait to have the kids until I could afford them and child care, if needed, without using the government.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Good question.  I use to always wonder how women that worked did it.  I never wanted to work while I was raising my kids, but still I never knew how they afforded it.  Also, I never understood how they were able to do the cooking, cleaning, bills, go to their kids school activities/after school sports etc., help with homework, spend time with them, etc. etc.  Even with their husband's help, it's a lot.  

I'm going to start as a Nanny next wk., the mother has 2 boys, 5 yrs. old & a little over 1 yr.  I'm working only 8 am - 1 pm & yet she's paying me $400/wk.  Seems, like a lot.  She's relocating from Conn.  & has already sent me a check for the first wk.  $400!!  I don't know how she can afford that.  She's a single mom.  I'm sure she has a job that pays well, but $400/wk?!   

Quoting futureshock:

Or if you don't pay for daycare how do you handle childcare while you are working?  To listen to some women it seems almost impossible for women to work because of the unaffordability of childcare.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM
We had a nanny but we both make good money so it wasn't an issue.
justahousewife
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM
I work from home so daycare isn't an issue.
Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM

When I was younger & worked f-t, before I was married, a co-worker worked the 2nd shift & her husband the 1st shift.  So, she didn't have a babysitter.  IF I just had to work, I would of done it that way too.  So, my kids would always be with their mom or dad.  :) Not everyone is lucky to have a mother that would help watched her kids.  My friend use to drive 1 hr. to where her son lived, to watch their kids for them.  Then, 1 hr. back to where she lived.  M-F.  To me, I wouldn't ask that of my mom.  If I did, I would insist that I pay her gas & wkly. salary.  Otherwise, I would let her do it.

Quoting Ziva65:

Well, when my first son was born, I worked (as I still had a corporate job) went back to work within a few weeks, until he was 6 months old, then my project was over and I quit.

I drove every day, 1 hour to bring him to my mom's. Then, an hour across the bay to my office, and back again. They were long days, bu tI wouldn't leave him with anyone else. Once my triplets were born, my parents moved to my city, and helped. I didn't return to work until they were 3-4 and then they had 2 days a week of preschool, and my mom helped out a lot. I didn't work full time when they were younger.

My good friend took night shift jobs, so her husband was with the baby at night, and she took care of the child during the day.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM
The job I had was pretty flexible and since I was the office administator, I was able to take off or leave early when needed. My husband works from home so he kept up the housework during the week. Dinner was never an issue. I left my job last Dec and when I return back to the working world in a few months, it will only be part time.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Good question.  I use to always wonder how women that worked did it.  I never wanted to work while I was raising my kids, but still I never knew how they afforded it.  Also, I never understood how they were able to do the cooking, cleaning, bills, go to their kids school activities/after school sports etc., help with homework, spend time with them, etc. etc.  Even with their husband's help, it's a lot.  

I'm going to start as a Nanny next wk., the mother has 2 boys, 5 yrs. old & a little over 1 yr.  I'm working only 8 am - 1 pm & yet she's paying me $400/wk.  Seems, like a lot.  She's relocating from Conn.  & has already sent me a check for the first wk.  $400!!  I don't know how she can afford that.  She's a single mom.  I'm sure she has a job that pays well, but $400/wk?!   

Quoting futureshock:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN