Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A question for working moms: How do you afford daycare?

Posted by   + Show Post

Or if you don't pay for daycare how do you handle childcare while you are working?  To listen to some women it seems almost impossible for women to work because of the unaffordability of childcare.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Replies (41-50):
i.m.r.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM
If we did subsidized daycare it would cost us about 200-400 dollars a month. Sadly the waiting list is about two years, so my mom watches dd for about the same amount. It works for us, but it's still a strain financially. We would not be able to afford daycare without subsidies though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Naturewoman4:

When I was younger & worked f-t, before I was married, a co-worker worked the 2nd shift & her husband the 1st shift.  So, she didn't have a babysitter.  IF I just had to work, I would of done it that way too.  So, my kids would always be with their mom or dad.  :) Not everyone is lucky to have a mother that would help watched her kids.  My friend use to drive 1 hr. to where her son lived, to watch their kids for them.  Then, 1 hr. back to where she lived.  M-F.  To me, I wouldn't ask that of my mom.  If I did, I would insist that I pay her gas & wkly. salary.  Otherwise, I would let her do it.

Quoting Ziva65:

Well, when my first son was born, I worked (as I still had a corporate job) went back to work within a few weeks, until he was 6 months old, then my project was over and I quit.

I drove every day, 1 hour to bring him to my mom's. Then, an hour across the bay to my office, and back again. They were long days, bu tI wouldn't leave him with anyone else. Once my triplets were born, my parents moved to my city, and helped. I didn't return to work until they were 3-4 and then they had 2 days a week of preschool, and my mom helped out a lot. I didn't work full time when they were younger.

My good friend took night shift jobs, so her husband was with the baby at night, and she took care of the child during the day.

My parents didn't need money, but I'd be happy to have paid whatever. I had a full time nanny at our home when the triplets were born, with me there all the time. Could have hired a private in home person for my first son, but I didn't trust anyone else. If my mom wasn't offering to help, I simply would have quit.

When I was pregnant with my triplets, I was on full hospital bedrest for 3 months. My son who was 18 months old actually went to live with my parents. They drove the hour every day to bring him to see me.

I just see it as that is what family does for each other, if at all possible. I have friends who feel differently, and that is ok. We are a very tight family. I intend on being there for my kids too, if they want it.

Now, we all live in the same city, and I go to my moms house several times a day to care for her. I sat with each parent in the hospital, for days on end. It's just what we do.

My parents have a special connection with my children. My in-laws don't, at all. They never quite made that connection, and were always self absorbed in their own life. I think what you invest is what you reap. I teach this to my children too, I want them to see how we care for our elders as well...

It's sort of sad, because this seems pretty unique. I like the way people used to care for each other in Europe, each generation lived on a different floor, and all helped each other.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

That's really great!!  It always helps to have a husband that is able to have a flexible job, work at home like that.  How lucky!  But, not too many moms have that.  I always thought working p/t is perfect!  :) 

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

The job I had was pretty flexible and since I was the office administator, I was able to take off or leave early when needed. My husband works from home so he kept up the housework during the week. Dinner was never an issue. I left my job last Dec and when I return back to the working world in a few months, it will only be part time.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Good question.  I use to always wonder how women that worked did it.  I never wanted to work while I was raising my kids, but still I never knew how they afforded it.  Also, I never understood how they were able to do the cooking, cleaning, bills, go to their kids school activities/after school sports etc., help with homework, spend time with them, etc. etc.  Even with their husband's help, it's a lot.  

I'm going to start as a Nanny next wk., the mother has 2 boys, 5 yrs. old & a little over 1 yr.  I'm working only 8 am - 1 pm & yet she's paying me $400/wk.  Seems, like a lot.  She's relocating from Conn.  & has already sent me a check for the first wk.  $400!!  I don't know how she can afford that.  She's a single mom.  I'm sure she has a job that pays well, but $400/wk?!   

Quoting futureshock:

Or if you don't pay for daycare how do you handle childcare while you are working?  To listen to some women it seems almost impossible for women to work because of the unaffordability of childcare.

jenn1172
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM

When my daughter was little and needed daycare we just budgeted it in and did without things like cable and internet. Now she is old enough to be at home by herself.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I have always worked full time and it was fine at the time but I'm enjoying being home more. Part time would be great.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

That's really great!!  It always helps to have a husband that is able to have a flexible job, work at home like that.  How lucky!  But, not too many moms have that.  I always thought working p/t is perfect!  :) 

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

The job I had was pretty flexible and since I was the office administator, I was able to take off or leave early when needed. My husband works from home so he kept up the housework during the week. Dinner was never an issue. I left my job last Dec and when I return back to the working world in a few months, it will only be part time.

Quoting Naturewoman4:

Good question.  I use to always wonder how women that worked did it.  I never wanted to work while I was raising my kids, but still I never knew how they afforded it.  Also, I never understood how they were able to do the cooking, cleaning, bills, go to their kids school activities/after school sports etc., help with homework, spend time with them, etc. etc.  Even with their husband's help, it's a lot.  

I'm going to start as a Nanny next wk., the mother has 2 boys, 5 yrs. old & a little over 1 yr.  I'm working only 8 am - 1 pm & yet she's paying me $400/wk.  Seems, like a lot.  She's relocating from Conn.  & has already sent me a check for the first wk.  $400!!  I don't know how she can afford that.  She's a single mom.  I'm sure she has a job that pays well, but $400/wk?!   

Quoting futureshock:

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM
I don't know...we just paid. I don't mean to sound snarky but it just a bill we paid with the others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randi1978
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I had the luxury of family to help until my daughter got into Head Start and then the preschool program offered through the school district (so she was essentially in school full time from 8:30 AM to 2:50 PM).  Family still helped after school for the three, four hours from the time she got out of school until I picked her up (i managed to snag jobs that offered relatively human hours (working no later than 6 to 7pm). 

I just started a new job at the beginning of this month that pays decently.  I managed to enroll her into the YMCA after school care that is located right there on the school grounds.  Income based.  My dad watches her for a half hour in the morning until she catches the bus.  I work from 8 am to 5 pm now, Monday thru Friday.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

We both work from home. My husband is self-employed and I work what was once an office job but am now based out of my house, thanks to a very understanding employer. My 2 youngest attend daycare from 8:30-12:30 so I can get done a few uninterrupted hours of work. Of course, during that time, I also try to fit in as much housework as possible. My youngest is 19 months so when he's home he does not appreciate my attention directed elsewhere so I can't work again until he goes down for his nap.

krysstizzle
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I received aid to pay for childcare while I pursued by bachelor's degree. I also had my grandparents next door, and the boys didn't have to be in childcare full-time. My grandparents both worked, and I worked and carried a full load all through my undergrad years. I'm not sure what I would have done if there hadn't been aid available to me. I guess I would have figured it out... I don't know. 

Both of the boys were in school when I started my master's, and I had a flexible TA job, plus our city had free after school care at the school they went to the first year. When we moved (still in the same city), they went to a better school but I had to pay for after school care -- luckily it was through the Boys and Girls Club and they ended up with a scholarship (i.e. I didn't have to pay). 

Now, only my youngest is in after school care part of the time, my job is really flexible, and it's working out. 

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

You find a job that is alternate shifts of the person you're "with". Then pull on your big girl panties and deal with  it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)