Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Embattled country star Mindy McCready dead at 37 of apparent suicide.

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM
  • 5 Replies

(CNN) -- They seemed so triumphant at the time: the lyrics to country music star Mindy McCready's hope-filled title track to her most-recent album "I'm Still Here."

Now, those words sound like a cry for help.

"On a cold dark cloud, with nowhere to fall but down, like a single, naked, unrelenting tear ... I'm still here."

On Sunday, McCready, whose turbulent personal life overshadowed her music, was found dead on the front porch of her Arkansas home -- the victim, authorities said, of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

She was 37.

McCready leaves behind two boys -- a 6-year-old and a 10-month-old.

Just a month earlier, police had paid another visit to the house in Heber Springs.

On that day, they found the infant's father -- record producer David Wilson -- dead on the porch.

He too had apparently taken his own life. He too had used a gun.

The long, tortured journey of Mindy McCready

Spiraling downward

McCready burst onto the music scene in 1996 with her debut album "Ten Thousand Angels."

It sold more than 2 million copies. Her chart-topping hit "Guys Do It All The Time" followed that same year.

In all, she put 14 songs and six of her albums on the Billboard Country charts.

But through it all, she was spiraling downward. And the fall was painful and precipitous.

She struggled with addiction and mental illness, often publicly.

CNN

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Poor her. Poor kids, both parents dead of suicide. That's a hard cycle to break free from
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Trollslayer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Poor her. Poor kids, both parents dead of suicide. That's a hard cycle to break free from

So sad she had all the resources available to her and still couldn't reach out to grab that life line, so sad her children are going to grow up without knowing her....

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM

This is heartbreaking.  I just feel so horrible for the kids.  I read a little bit about this last night, and the article I read said that her children were taken from her home after the younger ones Dad killed himself.  This poor woman was fighting a WHOLE lotta demons.  :(

Trollslayer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Quoting pansyprincess:

This is heartbreaking.  I just feel so horrible for the kids.  I read a little bit about this last night, and the article I read said that her children were taken from her home after the younger ones Dad killed himself.  This poor woman was fighting a WHOLE lotta demons.  :(

So very sad.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Hearing this did not surprise me at all. I saw this coming years ago.

Sadly, she could never deal with any thing and find her way out of the hell she choose to live in.  

Her children are now left to pick of the pieces she broke.  As well as the pieces broken by her boyfriend, the father of one of her children.

I hope she is able to rest in peace because she certainly did not seek that in life.

My heart hurts for those kiddos.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)