Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Hay I wanna know others opinions on this subject. Would u or do u think it's okay to put make up on a toddler or even a young child. I personally feel that it's not a good idea and would really like to hear what other people think as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Replies (21-28):
mom_dl6
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I hate ALL Pagents PERIOD !

gludwig2000
by Gina on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I don't watch the show, because like the OP, I don't approve of all that these little girls go through. Hours of practise, make up, fake smiles, spray tans, etc, just seems wrong to me so you wouldn't catch one of my daughters on there. But hey, I can only decide what I wanted for my daughters, not someone else's.

RMC007
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM

My daughter is involved in dance and does wear make-up for dance competitions and recitals. She is almost 6, but has been in a yearly recital since she was 3. She does not get a spray tan, fake teeth, fake hair, fake nails, or compete on beauty. After her make up is all done, she looks like a 5 year old with lip stick on. I would not put her in beauty pageants as they are WAY too competitive and I don't want her to be involved in anything that gives awards out for whoever spends the most money. Plus, it is way too expensive. Dance is expensive too, but not 3500 for one dress kind of expensive.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM

It is not for our family.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I watched the show a couple of times and that was enough. I just have a problem with toddlers being all made up with tons of make up, tweezing their eyebrows, wigs etc and being taught to glide across a stage, while shaking their bottoms and flirting with the judges.  I had looked at enrolling dd in the local dance studio when she was almost 4 but they wouldn't take her...after seeing a few public performances, I was pretty glad they wouldn't. When she was 10 she wanted to join but I wouldn't let her due to the costuming and very suggestive dance moves they use. After one performance there was a picture in the local paper of two of the girls in their costumes, they couldn't have been more than around 8 yrs old and honestly they looked like a couple of hookers on a street corner. There are better ways to build self-esteem than that.

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I think it is wrong on so many levels.  

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM

We don't do it for dance, but for dramatic play we do...especially for dress up or costumes....but it is mostly to look like an animal, or ghost, or something like that...Not to look like a made up woman.

Quoting Kylie819:

I would not do pageants.

But I would put makeup on a 5-year-old for dance or theatre.

Neon Washable Paint

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:09 PM

For play and dress-up? I do not have a problem.

And my dd starting performing in recitals at age 3- and it was required that she wear "makeup" :eyeshadow and lipstick. Even during horse show competitions, she was required to wear lipstick and eye shadow. Now as an older teen, when she is performing and competing, she still is required to wear show makeup. But for everyday she uses a bit of eyeshadow and gloss.

There is a time and a place. But I could not make any blanket statements such as "never!" There is a time and place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN