Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another state trying to ban junk food bought with food stamps

Posted by   + Show Post

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- There's a push in Texas to ban people from buying junk food and energy drinks with food stamps.

There are currently two legislative bills Texas lawmakers are discussing. One would ban the purchase of junk food with food stamps. The other would ban the purchase of energy drinks.

"We should not be on the one hand using tax dollars to buy junk food and on the other hand using tax dollars to pay for the health-related diseases because of junk food," said state representative Richard Pena Raymond.

Supporters of the bill say those on federal assistance are abusing what their given by purchasing items with no nutritional value.

Both bills are still moving through the legislative process.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
stormcris
by Christy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I wonder exactly what all they are saying are energy drinks. Does it include vitamin water type things as well?

AdellesMom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I don't think that's going to happen.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:32 PM
3 moms liked this

It probably won't happen, but it should.

And if any state would find a way to do that, it is that one.

gma12.1
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM
10 moms liked this

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it is pretty damn obvious canned chili and lunchables are junk food.

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM
6 moms liked this

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

RMC007
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

What is going to be defined as junk food? I would say ban all energy drinks, sodas/pop, and drinks such as Hawaiian punch that has little to no fruit juice in it. I would also agree with banning candy and pre-made birthday cakes. I am not so sure I agree with banning all junk food. What makes something junk food? Are baked chips junk food? What about fruit snacks or even certain types of cereal? I have more of a problem with people on food stamps being able to buy Fillet Minions and Lobster, than I do with buying a bag of Oreos on food stamps, and not because I am jealous. It is because food stamps should be able help a family supplement their food budget for an entire month. Irresponsible food stamp recipients may blow half their food stamp budget on expensive food items on the first and not have a way to feed the kids by the 15th. I would even support having food stamps deposited onto cards twice a month, rather than once a month to help people make the money last.

Sorry for the rambling-- cold medicine

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep it is junk.

Per ounce it is not more expensive.  It does involve cooking, but yeah.  That is so often the excuse of these moms.

My ladder is awesome.  I will never have to climb down.  Sorry.   Junk food doesn't need to be provided on food stamps.

I saw coupons for canned chili and thought of getting some for the local pantry.   Wasn't worth what I would pay.   I would get more using coupons and buying pasta or soup.  It's junk and it isn't cheap.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting gma12.1:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Why does anyone need to buy chips?  What nutritional value do they provide?

Quoting RMC007:

What is going to be defined as junk food? I would say ban all energy drinks, sodas/pop, and drinks such as Hawaiian punch that has little to no fruit juice in it. I would also agree with banning candy and pre-made birthday cakes. I am not so sure I agree with banning all junk food. What makes something junk food? Are baked chips junk food? What about fruit snacks or even certain types of cereal? I have more of a problem with people on food stamps being able to buy Fillet Minions and Lobster, than I do with buying a bag of Oreos on food stamps, and not because I am jealous. It is because food stamps should be able help a family supplement their food budget for an entire month. Irresponsible food stamp recipients may blow half their food stamp budget on expensive food items on the first and not have a way to feed the kids by the 15th. I would even support having food stamps deposited onto cards twice a month, rather than once a month to help people make the money last.

Sorry for the rambling-- cold medicine

gma12.1
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I don't think canned chili is junk food because I use it with other ingredients to make meals that are nutrious. I am NOT on food stamps either. My point was who is going to decide? Will there be a board of doctors, politicians? Will it be based on what the FDA has to say? Will it be based on the guidelines that our school lunches are (that would be the worst thing they could do)? I want to know how the state is going to pay for the complete overhaul of the food stamp system. How much will I have to pay so that a book can be sent out to each and every place in the state that sells food telling them what can and can't be purchased with food stamps. How much am I going to have to pay for all the extra ppl the government is going to hire to handle this? There is more to this than just banning junk food.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting gma12.1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured