Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another state trying to ban junk food bought with food stamps

Posted by   + Show Post

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- There's a push in Texas to ban people from buying junk food and energy drinks with food stamps.

There are currently two legislative bills Texas lawmakers are discussing. One would ban the purchase of junk food with food stamps. The other would ban the purchase of energy drinks.

"We should not be on the one hand using tax dollars to buy junk food and on the other hand using tax dollars to pay for the health-related diseases because of junk food," said state representative Richard Pena Raymond.

Supporters of the bill say those on federal assistance are abusing what their given by purchasing items with no nutritional value.

Both bills are still moving through the legislative process.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:59 PM

it will be based on the government's decision since they are the ones providing the food stamps.

People shouldn't use them if this bothers them.

Limiting what is provided still provides food.

Quoting gma12.1:

I don't think canned chili is junk food because I use it with other ingredients to make meals that are nutrious. I am NOT on food stamps either. My point was who is going to decide? Will there be a board of doctors, politicians? Will it be based on what the FDA has to say? Will it be based on the guidelines that our school lunches are (that would be the worst thing they could do)? I want to know how the state is going to pay for the complete overhaul of the food stamp system. How much will I have to pay so that a book can be sent out to each and every place in the state that sells food telling them what can and can't be purchased with food stamps. How much am I going to have to pay for all the extra ppl the government is going to hire to handle this? There is more to this than just banning junk food.

Quoting talia-mom:

I think it is pretty damn obvious canned chili and lunchables are junk food.

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM
8 moms liked this

What you consider junk is merely your opinion.  You also probably have no idea what it's like to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to make ends meet.  Things happen.  So, I'd be careful about saying you'll never have to climb down.  There's 30M people in our country who thought the same thing.  Shit happens.  Hope you get splinters from that nasty stick you have up your butt.

I've been through hard times.  I worked my ass off to get back to good times.  Hope I never have to go through it again.  But, it certainly taught me humility and compassion for those who do fall on hard times.

Quoting talia-mom:

Yep it is junk.

Per ounce it is not more expensive.  It does involve cooking, but yeah.  That is so often the excuse of these moms.

My ladder is awesome.  I will never have to climb down.  Sorry.   Junk food doesn't need to be provided on food stamps.

I saw coupons for canned chili and thought of getting some for the local pantry.   Wasn't worth what I would pay.   I would get more using coupons and buying pasta or soup.  It's junk and it isn't cheap.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
4 moms liked this

God, I can't imagine wasting so much energy on what other people buy. 

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

So 2.39 a can for chili is something cheap?

Yeah, I think not.

I will never have to climb down.   Life has been good for my parents and grandparents and us.   Sometimes things just don't breakdown.

I am not insulting you, so I don't know what you are so angry over saying canned chili and lunchables are junk food.  They are.

The cost to feed my family chili is less making it from scratch than buying the cans.   It isn't hard and frankly, it can be done in under 45 minutes.

But I do appreciate someone like you being so angry that I think food stamps should solely provide nutrition.

Quoting specialwingz:

What you consider junk is merely your opinion.  You also probably have no idea what it's like to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to make ends meet.  Things happen.  So, I'd be careful about saying you'll never have to climb down.  There's 30M people in our country who thought the same thing.  Shit happens.  Hope you get splinters from that nasty stick you have up your butt.

I've been through hard times.  I worked my ass off to get back to good times.  Hope I never have to go through it again.  But, it certainly taught me humility and compassion for those who do fall on hard times.

Quoting talia-mom:

Yep it is junk.

Per ounce it is not more expensive.  It does involve cooking, but yeah.  That is so often the excuse of these moms.

My ladder is awesome.  I will never have to climb down.  Sorry.   Junk food doesn't need to be provided on food stamps.

I saw coupons for canned chili and thought of getting some for the local pantry.   Wasn't worth what I would pay.   I would get more using coupons and buying pasta or soup.  It's junk and it isn't cheap.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting gma12.1:

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM
9 moms liked this
I dont understand why the poor have to be put in this box labeled diseased because they cant afford nice things. Or some treats for their kids every once in awhile. Or why the masses have to suffer cause of a few bad eggs. Its the same as back in time when the poor were treated badly by the rich. The servants subjected to humiliation and banned from areas cause theyre poor. We take a few steps forward then back again. We dont live like that for a reason. It was unethical and poor have rights too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM
4 moms liked this

I am a gourmet chef.  So, I don't need your lame-ass "cooking lesson".  And, I don't know where you live. But, a big can of chili is only $1.79 where I live.  A pot of chili can be expensive in a poor household.  When you consider the cost of the meat, the cost of the tomatoes, beans and spices.  By ounce, sure.  But, many households can't afford to stock a spice cabinet and all the individual components.

You answered my question.  You have no clue what it's like to have to make ends meet when there just isn't enough to do so.

Don't judge people if you have never been in their shoes to know what is really happening in their lives and how difficult it can be.

Quoting talia-mom:

Yeah, I think not.

I will never have to climb down.   Life has been good for my parents and grandparents and us.   Sometimes things just don't breakdown.

I am not insulting you, so I don't know what you are so angry over saying canned chili and lunchables are junk food.  They are.

The cost to feed my family chili is less making it from scratch than buying the cans.   It isn't hard and frankly, it can be done in under 45 minutes.

But I do appreciate someone like you being so angry that I think food stamps should solely provide nutrition.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting talia-mom:

Yep it is junk.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting gma12.1:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

No, you aren't a gourmet chef if you think canned chili is acceptable as a meal.

I cook for a living, so yeah.  I have never met someone that would use that shit for real food as an addition to feed their family or friends.  I am sure you are a gourmet chef.   Please.   Argue that with someone that isn't someone who cooks for a living.

Quoting specialwingz:

I am a gourmet chef.  So, I don't need your lame-ass "cooking lesson".  And, I don't know where you live. But, a big can of chili is only $1.79 where I live.  A pot of chili can be expensive in a poor household.  When you consider the cost of the meat, the cost of the tomatoe, beans and spices.  By ounce, sure.  But, many households can't afford to stock a spice cabinet and all the individual components.

You answered my question.  You have no clue what it's like to have to make ends meet when there just isn't enough to do so.

Don't judge people if you have never been in their shoes to know what is really happening in their lives and how difficult it can be.

Quoting talia-mom:

Yeah, I think not.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting talia-mom:

Yep it is junk.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting gma12.1:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM

You can't make ice pops and spaghetti and can't find nickles and dimes to buy an 89 cent two liter of store brand sprite?

Quoting F_Stathouse:

So the ice pops, ginger ale, sprite and spaghettios, that I got for my sick kids wont be allowed.
Its all the two of them will eat right now. Poor loves.

I rarely get junk food, but this was a sick need.

I think its bs really, we should know how to feed our kids right. I do.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I never said I used it.  And, I don't feel it is the best.  Pull your head out of your butt and pay attention.  I'm just saying that not all people can afford all the components.

And, cooking for a living tells me you aren't as far up that ladder as you'd like others to think you are.

Quoting talia-mom:

No, you aren't a gourmet chef if you think canned chili is acceptable as a meal.

I cook for a living, so yeah.  I have never met someone that would use that shit for real food as an addition to feed their family or friends.  I am sure you are a gourmet chef.   Please.   Argue that with someone that isn't someone who cooks for a living.

Quoting specialwingz:

I am a gourmet chef.  So, I don't need your lame-ass "cooking lesson".  And, I don't know where you live. But, a big can of chili is only $1.79 where I live.  A pot of chili can be expensive in a poor household.  When you consider the cost of the meat, the cost of the tomatoe, beans and spices.  By ounce, sure.  But, many households can't afford to stock a spice cabinet and all the individual components.

Quoting talia-mom:

Yeah, I think not.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting talia-mom:

Yep it is junk.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting gma12.1:

soonergirl980
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

No issues with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)