Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another state trying to ban junk food bought with food stamps

Posted by   + Show Post

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- There's a push in Texas to ban people from buying junk food and energy drinks with food stamps.

There are currently two legislative bills Texas lawmakers are discussing. One would ban the purchase of junk food with food stamps. The other would ban the purchase of energy drinks.

"We should not be on the one hand using tax dollars to buy junk food and on the other hand using tax dollars to pay for the health-related diseases because of junk food," said state representative Richard Pena Raymond.

Supporters of the bill say those on federal assistance are abusing what their given by purchasing items with no nutritional value.

Both bills are still moving through the legislative process.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Replies (241-250):
kaffedrikke
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I understand its just Iremember buying food on fifty dollars per month when first married. We made fifteen over the limit. It bothered me when I saw someone buying copious amounts of delicious seafood whilst I ate lentils tuna potatoes and rice, hell I watered down milk to make it last longer. I guess mho is fs isn't for luxuries.

Quoting RMC007:

I really don't care if a person on food stamps is enjoying lobster while I am eating peanut butter and jelly (I am allergic to lobster and love pb&J). My point is I think it is ridiculous that a family that receives say $400 a month in food stamps can spend 50 or 60 on one meal. My cousin use to do this all the time. She would get her food stamps on the first, buy steaks, lobsters, and other expensive items at the grocery store, then call my grandma by the 15th crying that she had no money for food. I don't really talk to my cousin anymore, so I am not sure if she does this. I don't think people of food stamps should be able to buy candy, but I do think they should be able to buy say canned ravioli as it fills the belly.

IDK, I just think having food stamps distributed onto the cards 2 or 4 times per month would prevent people from selling food stamps, providing BBQ's for the neighborhood, and splurging on expensive food items only not to have food later in the month.

(still on cold medicine)

Quoting kaffedrikke:

I too agree you shouldn't get to eat better than someone who isn't on fs.

Quoting RMC007:

What is going to be defined as junk food? I would say ban all energy drinks, sodas/pop, and drinks such as Hawaiian punch that has little to no fruit juice in it. I would also agree withbanning candy and pre-made birthday cakes. I am not so sure I agree withbanning all junk food. What makes something junk food? Are baked chips junk food? What about fruit snacks or even certain types of cereal? I have more of a problem withpeople on food stamps being able to buy Fillet Minions and Lobster, than I do with buying a bag of Oreoson food stamps, and not because I am jealous. It is because food stamps should be able help a family supplement their food budget for an entire month. Irresponsible food stamp recipients may blow half their food stamp budget on expensive food items on the first and not have a way to feed the kids by the 15th. I would even support having food stamps deposited onto cards twice a month, rather than once a month to help people make the money last.

Sorry for the rambling-- cold medicine

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kaffedrikke
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM
There are places where the grocery stores don't keep the fresh produce stocked or the prices are insanely high.

Quoting KamWorthy:

How does one live in a food dessert? Serious?

Quoting kaffedrikke:

Then the state or city needs to be sure that they have access to buy healthy foods and not live in a food dessert.

kaffedrikke
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Well put.

Quoting krysstizzle:

By living in an area that has little to no access to healthy food but often access to fast/unhealthy food. 

As in, urban areas with corner stores and processed junk food readily available but with grocery stores carrying fresh produce two or more bus rides away. Or rural areas with zero food outlets, requiring a 50  minute trip (one way), often with people with no personal transportation and litttle to no public transportation. 

Quoting KamWorthy:

How does one live in a food dessert? Serious?

Quoting kaffedrikke:

Then the state or city needs to be sure that they have access to buy healthy foods and not live in a food dessert.

Lacey1951
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Yes they should a lot of families need better nutrition and their  is an outbreak of  dietabetes .The families need better food for that .Most mothers dont prepare the good meals it takes for them to be healthy .

greenishgirl
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I think if they cut junk food (depending on what that actually means), they need to provide some counseling on how to make food from scratch. There are SO many people who can't cook healthy meals. They only know how to open a can or heat up a frozen meal. They don't even know how to make rice!

We get food stamps. With the $170 we get a month for the three of us, I can get almost enough food to last us the month because I buy things like dried beans, canned tomatoes, pounds of chicken or hamburger, celery, carrots, onions, potatoes, frozen vegetables, bags of rice, etc and can make huge pots of soup, large quantities of taco filling, pot pies, casseroles, etc. that give us dinner and lunches the next day. I have a stocked spice cupboard and know how to make dough and how to cook all those things. I also know how to comparison shop and use coupons. If I didn't know how to cook, that money would not last all month. I know how to stretch a pot of soup by thickening the leftovers and serving it like a gravy over rice or potatoes or pasta. I know how to rework leftovers to make a new meal so there is no monotony. I would be able to survive within a no prepared foods/ junk food guideline on food stamps, but there are a lot of people who wouldn't.

kaffedrikke
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Yiuve made some good points.Even if there wasnt a job maybe some part time volunteering? And then how far does the law go? I cannot see begrudging a mom a pack of cupcakes because she's on fs

Quoting OhioforMal:

My issue with ANY form of government assistance isn't what they are buying it with. My issue is the state of their being.

For instance, I  would rather see someone who is working for their food stamps and buy junkfood then someone who sits on their butt all day and buys healthy food with food stamps. My point is, please have a JOB, then go ahead and use government assistance. 

Also, "junk food" is debatable. If you want to be technical about it, almost everything in any grocery store is "junk food" except fruits and vegatables.  

Overall, I am against this law. I am against this law because I agree with a FREE country. Anyone who supports this law obviously agrees with Obama's communistic ways. I  like a FREE country, not a dictatorship!

OhioforMal
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Quoting OhioforMal:

My issue with ANY form of government assistance isn't what they are buying it with. My issue is the state of their being.

For instance, I  would rather see someone who is working for their food stamps and buy junkfood then someone who sits on their butt all day and buys healthy food with food stamps. My point is, please have a JOB, then go ahead and use government assistance. HUH? How is that supposed to work?

Also, "junk food" is debatable. If you want to be technical about it, almost everything in any grocery store is "junk food" except fruits and vegatables.  

Overall, I am against this law. I am against this law because I agree with a FREE country. Anyone who supports this law obviously agrees with Obama's communistic ways. I  like a FREE country, not a dictatorship!

You can have a job and be on welfare and food stamps. If you have a low paying job combined with multiple kids to take care of, there is no reason why they should deny them of government assistance. It depends on how much your job pays and how many kids you have. I know a girl who works at McDonald's and has three kids, and she is able to get food stamps.

Redwall
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM

If WE are paying for people's food, I want it to be healthy stuff, not chips and sugared cereal and soda.

jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM
I go to culinary school and I have 5 kids a d I don't use canned anything. It's inappropriate and not real food. To be if you can't say it you shouldn't eat it. I am very picky about my food. That being said I can make enough chili with leftovers for $25. If I were to buy the cans if chili I would have to get 14 cans, which would cost me more then making it.

Quoting talia-mom:

I have never said I am anything other than a caterer that does well and sends my kids to private school.

I have a business that does well.

My husband does well in his career.

My daddy is a farmer that has always done well.

Same thing for pawpaw.

I don't pretend to be anything I am not.  

And yeah, I will say canned chili isn't cheap.   It is much cheaper to make your own because there is leftovers using the same amount of money.

BTW, no one really making chili would ever use tomatoes.

Quoting specialwingz:

I never said I used it.  And, I don't feel it is the best.  Pull your head out of your butt and pay attention.  I'm just saying that not all people can afford all the components.

And, cooking for a living tells me you aren't as far up that ladder as you'd like others to think you are.

Quoting talia-mom:

No, you aren't a gourmet chef if you think canned chili is acceptable as a meal.

I cook for a living, so yeah.  I have never met someone that would use that shit for real food as an addition to feed their family or friends.  I am sure you are a gourmet chef.   Please.   Argue that with someone that isn't someone who cooks for a living.

Quoting specialwingz:

I am a gourmet chef.  So, I don't need your lame-ass "cooking lesson".  And, I don't know where you live. But, a big can of chili is only $1.79 where I live.  A pot of chili can be expensive in a poor household.  When you consider the cost of the meat, the cost of the tomatoe, beans and spices.  By ounce, sure.  But, many households can't afford to stock a spice cabinet and all the individual components.

You answered my question.  You have no clue what it's like to have to make ends meet when there just isn't enough to do so.

Don't judge people if you have never been in their shoes to know what is really happening in their lives and how difficult it can be.

Quoting talia-mom:

So 2.39 a can for chili is something cheap?

Yeah, I think not.

I will never have to climb down.   Life has been good for my parents and grandparents and us.   Sometimes things just don't breakdown.

I am not insulting you, so I don't know what you are so angry over saying canned chili and lunchables are junk food.  They are.

The cost to feed my family chili is less making it from scratch than buying the cans.   It isn't hard and frankly, it can be done in under 45 minutes.

But I do appreciate someone like you being so angry that I think food stamps should solely provide nutrition.

Quoting specialwingz:

What you consider junk is merely your opinion.  You also probably have no idea what it's like to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to make ends meet.  Things happen.  So, I'd be careful about saying you'll never have to climb down.  There's 30M people in our country who thought the same thing.  Shit happens.  Hope you get splinters from that nasty stick you have up your butt.

I've been through hard times.  I worked my ass off to get back to good times.  Hope I never have to go through it again.  But, it certainly taught me humility and compassion for those who do fall on hard times.

Quoting talia-mom:

Yep it is junk.

Per ounce it is not more expensive.  It does involve cooking, but yeah.  That is so often the excuse of these moms.

My ladder is awesome.  I will never have to climb down.  Sorry.   Junk food doesn't need to be provided on food stamps.

I saw coupons for canned chili and thought of getting some for the local pantry.   Wasn't worth what I would pay.   I would get more using coupons and buying pasta or soup.  It's junk and it isn't cheap.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

I think it is pretty damn obvious canned chili and lunchables are junk food.

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM
They sell spices at the dollar tree. Now that's not what I buy,I prefer the gourmet collection from McCormick but if I couldn't afford anything but dollar trees spices then that's what I would get.

Quoting specialwingz:

You, too, are missing the point.  I get that ounce per ounce, homemade chili is cheaper.  But, to make that pot of chili, a person has to buy all the components.  IE...meat, cans of beans, cans of tomato sauce, cans of tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.  Many people don't have a heavily stocked spice cabinet.  For the amount of all the components for that pot of chili, a struggling person could have bought 2 cans of chili, a bag of fritos (for frito chili pie, which stretches the chili), a chunk of cheese (from WIC) to shred for the top.  AND...still have money left over to buy milk, boxed mac & cheese (which I'm sure you also consider junk), but a 50 cent box will feed 4 people along with a .69 can of green beans.  But, when it comes down to a $20 to feed your family for a week, it sure as hell wouldn't be spent on a pot of chili that we have to eat 4 nights in a row.  It's going to be spent on as many cheap meals as possible to add variety.

You just have no clue what it's like to have to struggle.  I've been there.  And, I hope I never have to be there again.  But, I will say that it taught me not to judge others and to have comapssion for them, as well.  Which many of you could do with a good lesson in those areas.

Judgement is ugly and your energy is better spent on more positive things, like minding your own business and taking care of your family the way YOU choose instead of negatively judging others.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Making your own chili is NOT more expensive than the canned version, if you look at the yield of each. One can of chili wouldn't feed 4 people, plus give you left overs for lunch the next day. It costs me roughly 5 dollars(that is including chili meat) for a big pot of chili, for 4 people and I have plenty left over for either lunch for all 4 of us, or a new meal for dinner. One can of even the cheapest chili here is over 2 dollars, so no, it isn't cheaper to buy canned chili. There isn't much that goes into chili. Spices are extremely cheap and so are beans, and if you omit the meat, it's even cheaper. Beans are a good source of protein.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

I think it is pretty damn obvious canned chili and lunchables are junk food.

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)