Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another state trying to ban junk food bought with food stamps

Posted by   + Show Post

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- There's a push in Texas to ban people from buying junk food and energy drinks with food stamps.

There are currently two legislative bills Texas lawmakers are discussing. One would ban the purchase of junk food with food stamps. The other would ban the purchase of energy drinks.

"We should not be on the one hand using tax dollars to buy junk food and on the other hand using tax dollars to pay for the health-related diseases because of junk food," said state representative Richard Pena Raymond.

Supporters of the bill say those on federal assistance are abusing what their given by purchasing items with no nutritional value.

Both bills are still moving through the legislative process.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Replies (251-260):
tambrathegreat
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Here's a novel idea, why not force these places to pay a living wage so working families don't have to be on public assistance? 

Quoting OhioforMal:

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Quoting OhioforMal:

My issue with ANY form of government assistance isn't what they are buying it with. My issue is the state of their being.

For instance, I  would rather see someone who is working for their food stamps and buy junkfood then someone who sits on their butt all day and buys healthy food with food stamps. My point is, please have a JOB, then go ahead and use government assistance. HUH? How is that supposed to work?

Also, "junk food" is debatable. If you want to be technical about it, almost everything in any grocery store is "junk food" except fruits and vegatables.  

Overall, I am against this law. I am against this law because I agree with a FREE country. Anyone who supports this law obviously agrees with Obama's communistic ways. I  like a FREE country, not a dictatorship!

You can have a job and be on welfare and food stamps. If you have a low paying job combined with multiple kids to take care of, there is no reason why they should deny them of government assistance. It depends on how much your job pays and how many kids you have. I know a girl who works at McDonald's and has three kids, and she is able to get food stamps.

BethanyJ
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this

It would cost too much administratively to put bans on junk food, not to mention the time and effort it would take to define that "junk food" is.  I'm against bans on what people with FS can buy.  It's ridiculous.  Being poor does not equal uneducated and unable to make good food choices.  Most people on food stamps get off them in 7 months and their grocery purchases do not contain significantly more junk food than the general population.  In addition, poor people generally work long hours to get by and the jobs aren't so flexible, so buying convenience foods are sometimes their only choice because they don't have the time to prepare meals from scratch.  

sugarsmom2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

that is alright . they should eat better foods and not junk or energy drinks . if they want it then take their own money and purchase .

witchybabymomma
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM

in ways I see the benefit but for people who rely soley on stamps I think it's sad to have to tell your children they can never have a piece of candy because you can't afford it.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Thank you.  Also some people need to

1- get certain facts straight, such as how WIC works amd who qualifies for financial assistance

2 - Get there damn noses out of other peoples carts

Quoting IhartU:

I say just leave it alone and let them buy whatever kind of food they want- not all poor people are frickin' idiots who don't know a bag of apples is better for you than a bag of Doritos. Poor does not equal moron.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Really?????  And exactlly how do you know this?  Do you go home with everyone of them and investigate their refrigertor/freezer and cupboards?   Do you spend a month living with them so you know every thing they eat???

I go shopping weekly but purchase enough to last 10 days just to be safe.   I live out in the country and getting snowed in does happen.  I watch the sales.  I have a husband who refuses to eat leftovers  and I am the only one who likes beans in the house.  My 6 year old hates roast but loves the "steak" I make when I can.  

Now before you start freaking that my son loves steak (like the B behind me 2 weeks ago) I'll explain/  As I said dh won't eat leftovers and DS6 hates roast.  When I see a good sale on roast ($2.99/lb) I get a good one and have it cut to my specs.  In this case (1 lb very thinly sliced for french dip, 1 lb cut about 1/4 inch thick and the rest cut into 3/4 inch steaks)  at home I divided each type of meat into 2 meal portions.  So the roast I paid $12 will provide the protein for 6 dinners.  That is $2.00 per meal.  Yet this B I refered to freaks out when DS6 asks if we could have the steak that night.  Fr the steak I put a genrous rub on it and place in a ziploc bag with soy or worchestirshire sauce and whatever else appeals to me and marinate it over night.

I also buy treats and the occassionl soda but my kids have rules.  Simply put healthy before not healthy.  I you want a treat you eat you vegies and protein.  If yoou want a glass of soda (1 per day) you drinkyour milk first.  I DO NOT need some nosey Nate or Nancy telling me what to feed my family .  Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting LilPeachMama:

I agree. Some of the people I've seen at the grocery store that shop with food stamps really do milk the system for junk.

littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally believe it should be run like WIC.  Nutritional food only.  If you want junk, use your own cash to purchase it.

littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Quoting gizmo538:

In Florida they tried to make it where you couldn't buy cake from the bakery on FS, but you could still make one from scratch (if you knew how or if you even had an oven to bake in). After the cake mix, pans (if you didn't have them already) the ingredients that did not come with the cake mix, the icing, decorations (if you wanted any) and candles ... it's cheaper to get one from the bakery.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

I think it is pretty damn obvious canned chili and lunchables are junk food.

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

Cakes from bakeries where I live cost $16 and up. I have baked using a box of cake mix, can of frosting, both under $5, then pans from the dollar store.  Not even close to the cost of a bakery cake.

gizmo538
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

This again? I've already addressed this in future comments. Have a nice day.

Quoting littlelamb303:

Quoting gizmo538:

In Florida they tried to make it where you couldn't buy cake from the bakery on FS, but you could still make one from scratch (if you knew how or if you even had an oven to bake in). After the cake mix, pans (if you didn't have them already) the ingredients that did not come with the cake mix, the icing, decorations (if you wanted any) and candles ... it's cheaper to get one from the bakery.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

I think it is pretty damn obvious canned chili and lunchables are junk food.

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

Cakes from bakeries where I live cost $16 and up. I have baked using a box of cake mix, can of frosting, both under $5, then pans from the dollar store.  Not even close to the cost of a bakery cake.

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
team2008
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:31 AM

In CA you CAN NOT BUY ENERGY DRINKS on food stamps. And yes define junk food. That is a huge market to ban. You mean candy bars, pastries, cookes, a cake from the deli for some kids bday, you mean cake mix, chips. I mean what would "junk food" be Really hard to say.  Should there be a ban of " candy " yes, junk food no....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)