Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another state trying to ban junk food bought with food stamps

Posted by   + Show Post

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- There's a push in Texas to ban people from buying junk food and energy drinks with food stamps.

There are currently two legislative bills Texas lawmakers are discussing. One would ban the purchase of junk food with food stamps. The other would ban the purchase of energy drinks.

"We should not be on the one hand using tax dollars to buy junk food and on the other hand using tax dollars to pay for the health-related diseases because of junk food," said state representative Richard Pena Raymond.

Supporters of the bill say those on federal assistance are abusing what their given by purchasing items with no nutritional value.

Both bills are still moving through the legislative process.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Replies (261-270):
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thewife06
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I would be happy if Soda, energy drinks, candy, snack cakes, chips, and juice that doesn't have at least 75% JUICE in it would be taken off the list of what can be bought with food stamps.  Mostly because that would make food stamps stretch more and some people (Not all or even most) wouldn't even have to use their full monthly allowance that way. 

When I was a cashier I cringed when I would ring up $200 worth of candy, chips, and snack cakes and $50 worth of meats, fruits, and veggies and it all be paid for with food stamps.  It broke my heart to see so much money going to junk instead of food that would acutually help a human body. 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:17 AM

No issues. Hope they do it in all states. 

Caitlyn137
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Las Vegas or Texas ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Just sitting here reading this and can't help thinking just how hateful  people are.  Two posters are fighting over chili being junk food,  the one below wants mothers to run to the store everyday and feed their families carrots and fruits because she's hell bent on no one eating anything she does not approve of..  Clearly, too many people have zero compassion for people that struggle for various reasons.  Do these haters of PA realize that the amount of food stamps would most likely have to be increased for families due to these restrictions?  And I am not suggesting that families are solely buying junk food, either.  However, their ideas of what junk food is clearly most things. 

Quoting Woodbabe:

...because your assumption that the majority of people on food stamps have the ability to store fresh food and cook their meals is not accurate. Clear case of class discrimination. You're making judgements of others based upon your world view. Its so common that the homeless qualify for a special type of food stamp assistance in some states that allow them to purchase hot meals in certain restaurants. So no...its not a true assumption that they can cook their own meals. At least someone that cares understands THAT.

Quoting talia-mom:

So how is a homeless man going to eat canned chili?

Why can't the mom of four in the hotel room serve her kids cereal and milk?  Peanut butter and crackers?  Fruit? 

If you want to keep playing the what ifs game, then these people will have to go to the store almost every day anyway, so they can eat fruits and baby carrots and many other things that don't need cooking.

But most people on food stamps do have the means to cook, so like I said it is a pointless argument.

Quoting Woodbabe:

So you'd give a bag of dried beans to a homeless man? What about the family of four living in a car without gas? Do they get a box of pasta? And lets consider the mom and her four kids hiding in a seedy hotel room from her abusive husband. A bag of rice and some chicken thighs?

Quoting talia-mom:

Yet 95%+ of  Americans have a stove, fridge, and tv.

Almost all of the people on food stamps have these things available.  So that is really a pointless argument for most food stamp users.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:15 AM

I agree...its probably because theyve never needed it, mom and dad worked 7 jobs and they did it, I eat healthy on 10 dollars others can.  I get really pee'd off with those who havent got enough compassion to understand that there ARE people for whatever reason cant help themselves or their families like they did, do or can do.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Just sitting here reading this and can't help thinking just how hateful  people are.  Two posters are fighting over chili being junk food,  the one below wants mothers to run to the store everyday and feed their families carrots and fruits because she's hell bent on no one eating anything she does not approve of..  Clearly, too many people have zero compassion for people that struggle for various reasons.  Do these haters of PA realize that the amount of food stamps would most likely have to be increased for families due to these restrictions?  And I am not suggesting that families are solely buying junk food, either.  However, their ideas of what junk food is clearly most things. 

Quoting Woodbabe:

...because your assumption that the majority of people on food stamps have the ability to store fresh food and cook their meals is not accurate. Clear case of class discrimination. You're making judgements of others based upon your world view. Its so common that the homeless qualify for a special type of food stamp assistance in some states that allow them to purchase hot meals in certain restaurants. So no...its not a true assumption that they can cook their own meals. At least someone that cares understands THAT.

Quoting talia-mom:

Why can't the mom of four in the hotel room serve her kids cereal and milk?  Peanut butter and crackers?  Fruit? 

If you want to keep playing the what ifs game, then these people will have to go to the store almost every day anyway, so they can eat fruits and baby carrots and many other things that don't need cooking.

But most people on food stamps do have the means to cook, so like I said it is a pointless argument.

Quoting Woodbabe:

So you'd give a bag of dried beans to a homeless man? What about the family of four living in a car without gas? Do they get a box of pasta? And lets consider the mom and her four kids hiding in a seedy hotel room from her abusive husband. A bag of rice and some chicken thighs?

Quoting talia-mom:

Almost all of the people on food stamps have these things available.  So that is really a pointless argument for most food stamp users.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Exactly.  This entire thread is making me angry.  The ignorance is astounding.  I have to remind myself that CM is but a small community compared to the population.   

Quoting turtle68:

I agree...its probably because theyve never needed it, mom and dad worked 7 jobs and they did it, I eat healthy on 10 dollars others can.  I get really pee'd off with those who havent got enough compassion to understand that there ARE people for whatever reason cant help themselves or their families like they did, do or can do.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting talia-mom:

raven1114
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Okay what is everyone's deal with people on FS buying steak and seafood? I mean sure I can see not getting some $30 steak but you do know you can find steak on sale right? Sometimes even cheaper than hamburger. As for seafood, lets see I can buy a bag of frozen talapia for about $10 that has about 20 pieces of fish in it so please tell me how that is some hugely expenses item. Hell even shrimp I can get a good sized bag for $5 that has enough to feed 5-6 people in it. I really don't get some of y'alls pissiness about some damn fish.
Quoting Farmlady09:

For the price of a small can filled with mystery meat, corn syrup, $.05 cents worth of spices, and some tomato powder, you can buy a pound of lean ground chuck here. Add a buck for beans, another buck for a can of tomato sauce, and spices most people have in the cupboard and you can make 6 times as much as what is in that can without the fillers ~ and if all you needed was the can you can put the rest in the freezer to use later. Yes, the can is junk.

I'd be happy if they limited what can be purchased to what is on the wic list, fresh fruits/veggies, frozen fruits/veggies not in a sauce, canned fruits and veggies with no added sugar/salt, and meat that doesn't have nitrates ... and no steak or seafood. Basic baking supplies like flour and yeast ~ no boxed mixes. Rice, beans, and spices. If necessary, give people a cookbook and the Ball Canning guide.

I buy coffee and flour at the store. That's about it. Everything else we eat I grow or raise and either can, dehydrate, or freeze it. We live on a retired/disabled military pay ~ and put half of it into savings each month, so by government standards, we are poor. We live in a house that we built, literally, with our own hands, on land we own (and paid for on that retired salary). I have a garden, a well, a septic tank, and solar (also paid for on that salary).

The problem in this country isn't a matter of 'scraping the bottom' or not making enough, it's people who consistently spend more than they earn, want new instead of making do, and who throw things away so they have room to buy more. It's people who 'want' more than one vehicle, 'want' a tv in every room along with every channel available, 'want' every electronic gadget, 'want' the most expensive clothes, etc. ~ and have no comprehension that there is a difference between 'want' and 'need'.

You 'need' a roof ~ but people 'want' a 3500 sq. ft. roof (never mind that the people who settled this country, and many who live all around the world today live under a roof that is under 1000 sq. ft., and many live in homes under 500 sq. ft.). You 'need' food, but 'want' takeout, microwave, just add water, cheap.

People lived for centuries on far less. Most people in the US consume more than twice as much a day as they need, and there is a disturbingly high number who more than quadruple the amount of food they actually need. There are restaurants where you can do that with a single meal. Like it or not, anything that comes in a box or a bag that just needs some water and heated up is junk. If it has extra sugar or salt, it's junk. If it looks like a candy bar, chips, or little cakes ~ it's junk. If it comes in a can and fizzes, it's junk. Even most 'health' foods are junk, especially the diet meals.

Don't worry about me falling off my horse or getting splinters ... I regularly put away enough food for more than a year, every year. The produce costs me nothing but a little time. The meat costs on average $.75 a pound and it is lean, omega balanced, and pasture raised. In addition to that, I have enough left over to supply not only my sons and their families with a good bit, but several elderly neighbors as well ~ and some to local food banks. All it takes is my time. No high horse or stick, just some common sense and making a choice to not go broke buying junk.

Quoting specialwingz:

What you consider junk is merely your opinion.  You also probably have no idea what it's like to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to make ends meet.  Things happen.  So, I'd be careful about saying you'll never have to climb down.  There's 30M people in our country who thought the same thing.  Shit happens.  Hope you get splinters from that nasty stick you have up your butt.

I've been through hard times.  I worked my ass off to get back to good times.  Hope I never have to go through it again.  But, it certainly taught me humility and compassion for those who do fall on hard times.

Quoting talia-mom:

Yep it is junk.

Per ounce it is not more expensive.  It does involve cooking, but yeah.  That is so often the excuse of these moms.

My ladder is awesome.  I will never have to climb down.  Sorry.   Junk food doesn't need to be provided on food stamps.

I saw coupons for canned chili and thought of getting some for the local pantry.   Wasn't worth what I would pay.   I would get more using coupons and buying pasta or soup.  It's junk and it isn't cheap.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

I think it is pretty damn obvious canned chili and lunchables are junk food.

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I agree! If we quit making and selling this junk we would t need as much health care. Of course this will never happen someone's getting rich Off all thus junk they are selling. Then the Drs are getting rich treating the diseases caused by poor nutrition . Veggies and fruit are less expensive than pre packaged food. Education is key.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Good.  I completely agree with this.  I think it should be more like WIC, where you get a certain allowance per type of food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN