Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another state trying to ban junk food bought with food stamps

Posted by   + Show Post

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- There's a push in Texas to ban people from buying junk food and energy drinks with food stamps.

There are currently two legislative bills Texas lawmakers are discussing. One would ban the purchase of junk food with food stamps. The other would ban the purchase of energy drinks.

"We should not be on the one hand using tax dollars to buy junk food and on the other hand using tax dollars to pay for the health-related diseases because of junk food," said state representative Richard Pena Raymond.

Supporters of the bill say those on federal assistance are abusing what their given by purchasing items with no nutritional value.

Both bills are still moving through the legislative process.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Replies (311-320):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Because they are using other taxpayers when they get food stamps.

Paying taxes that you get a full refund for, plus the ability to often get more than you paid, doesn't cover your food stamps.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Quoting Jessica518:

I dont think ANYONE should be buying alot of junk for their kids or themselves. There are people who work AND get food stamps. They pay taxes so why cant they buy what they want? You cant just assume their usibg yourvtax money. You know? Ive seen people buy pure junk and others buy a little bit. I think junk food AND fast foods should be banned. If were gonna ban bad stuff might as well not do it half ass.

Quoting talia-mom:

I don't think it is okay to buy tons of junk.

But I also don't think I should tell people what they can buy with money they earn.  That is the difference.

When the government gives you a card to buy food, they can and should tell you that you get healthy foods.

Quoting Jessica518:

Okay so if I buy all the junk food with MY money then its okay? If they need to see a doctor because of health problems its okay as long as I bought the junk with MY money?

Quoting talia-mom:

Or you get healthy foods on fs because we often are paying for your kids to have health care.   You can buy all the crap you want with your money.

Quoting Jessica518:

Your taxes dont pay for every family. So their kids should eat healthy while yours eat junk?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I really have no issue with this. The supplemental food program should be to provide healthy food choices. If the family chooses to purchase junk food, they should do so on their own dime. Not mine. 

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM

SNAP is not funded by the states if that is what you are saying.

Picky eaters can starve if they can't eat what is provided by the government.

Quoting momma_sam:

I dont think energy drinks should have ever been permitted on FS to begin with. However what one person sees as junk food others migh not. Lets the individual states decide how that is decided. Its technically their money. But some peoples ideas of junk food are flat out insane. If some had it their way im sure the only thing peopl on FS would be permitted to buy are fresh fruits veggies and meats. Some people obviously do not know what its like to feed picky eaters.

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM
No I think your just pissed off people recieve help. Hows it okay for some kids to be healthy and others to not be?

Quoting talia-mom:

Well, then you shouldn't be able to spend your money you earn on things other people think are wrong.

When you earn your money, you should be able to choose how to spend it.

When you are on welfare, beggars can't be choosers.

Quoting Jessica518:

I agree with mommy4000 I think it should be banned for everyone its unhealthy. Fast food places are horrible ban that too.

Quoting talia-mom:

SNAP is a nutrition program.   It should only buy healthy foods.

Why is having us pay only for healthy things so bad?

Quoting raven1114:

Don't you know according to cafemom as long as you buy it with your own money you are allowed to be fat and unhealthy, only those on FS need to eat healthy.

Quoting Mommy4000:

Why can't we just ban junk food period? No one needs to be consuming it, regardless of what it's bought with. So I guess this is good for all those with food benefits, they can get fit and look better than the rest of us. Really seems pointless.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Because unlike you, I actually believe in private property.

That is their money.

Quoting Jessica518:

No I think your just pissed off people recieve help. Hows it okay for some kids to be healthy and others to not be?

Quoting talia-mom:

Well, then you shouldn't be able to spend your money you earn on things other people think are wrong.

Quoting Jessica518:

I agree with mommy4000 I think it should be banned for everyone its unhealthy. Fast food places are horrible ban that too.

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting raven1114:

Don't you know according to cafemom as long as you buy it with your own money you are allowed to be fat and unhealthy, only those on FS need to eat healthy.

Quoting Mommy4000:

Why can't we just ban junk food period? No one needs to be consuming it, regardless of what it's bought with. So I guess this is good for all those with food benefits, they can get fit and look better than the rest of us. Really seems pointless.

momma_sam
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM
We all know whats said on cafemom is law.

Quoting raven1114:

Quoting Mommy4000:

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM
I happen to know for a fact that your wrong. I know this because I have a sibling in college,works and has a toddler and he dont get alot back. He gets alot back for school thats it. So unless your the one recieving help or know alot someone who does...you need to learn facts first. And no he dont take from the state for school he pays himself plus his dads retired military guy so he recieves help. But his dad paid by defending our country

Quoting talia-mom:

Paying taxes that you get a full refund for, plus the ability to often get more than you paid, doesn't cover your food stamps.

Quoting Jessica518:

I dont think ANYONE should be buying alot of junk for their kids or themselves. There are people who work AND get food stamps. They pay taxes so why cant they buy what they want? You cant just assume their usibg yourvtax money. You know? Ive seen people buy pure junk and others buy a little bit. I think junk food AND fast foods should be banned. If were gonna ban bad stuff might as well not do it half ass.

Quoting talia-mom:

But I also don't think I should tell people what they can buy with money they earn.  That is the difference.

When the government gives you a card to buy food, they can and should tell you that you get healthy foods.

Quoting Jessica518:

Okay so if I buy all the junk food with MY money then its okay? If they need to see a doctor because of health problems its okay as long as I bought the junk with MY money?

Quoting talia-mom:

Or you get healthy foods on fs because we often are paying for your kids to have health care.   You can buy all the crap you want with your money.

Quoting Jessica518:

Your taxes dont pay for every family. So their kids should eat healthy while yours eat junk?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I really have no issue with this. The supplemental food program should be to provide healthy food choices. If the family chooses to purchase junk food, they should do so on their own dime. Not mine. 

Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Energy drinks, sure. Those are expensive, and drinks.

I think once you move into the food department though, where are you going to stop? Will Ramen not be allowed? That's a cheap thing that gets people through the month many times but really isn't nutritional at all. If you over limit what people can and can't get, it'll probably just turn into a huge mess at the checkout of what's allowed and isn't because there's so many ways to define junk food.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:32 PM

It is common knowledge that 50% of this country doesn't end up paying federal income taxes.

Your brother gets back what he pays unless he is not in the group that qualifies for food stamps.

Quoting Jessica518:

I happen to know for a fact that your wrong. I know this because I have a sibling in college,works and has a toddler and he dont get alot back. He gets alot back for school thats it. So unless your the one recieving help or know alot someone who does...you need to learn facts first. And no he dont take from the state for school he pays himself plus his dads retired military guy so he recieves help. But his dad paid by defending our country

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Unlike me? What do you mean by that?

Quoting talia-mom:

Because unlike you, I actually believe in private property.

That is their money.

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting raven1114:

Quoting Mommy4000:

raven1114
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM
True of course first they'd have to decide whose version of the cafemom approved FS shopping guidelines could be used because according to some only organic is proper food while others think fresh fruit and veggies even if not organic is okay and maybe some chicken and then of course there's those who think people on FS should only get dried beans and rice.
Quoting momma_sam:

We all know whats said on cafemom is law.

Quoting raven1114:

Quoting Mommy4000:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN