Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another state trying to ban junk food bought with food stamps

Posted by   + Show Post

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- There's a push in Texas to ban people from buying junk food and energy drinks with food stamps.

There are currently two legislative bills Texas lawmakers are discussing. One would ban the purchase of junk food with food stamps. The other would ban the purchase of energy drinks.

"We should not be on the one hand using tax dollars to buy junk food and on the other hand using tax dollars to pay for the health-related diseases because of junk food," said state representative Richard Pena Raymond.

Supporters of the bill say those on federal assistance are abusing what their given by purchasing items with no nutritional value.

Both bills are still moving through the legislative process.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Replies (321-330):
momma_sam
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM
So true. But to some out there im pretty dang sure just about everything is unhealthy.fresh fruits and veggies only...smh.

Quoting raven1114:

True of course first they'd have to decide whose version of the cafemom approved FS shopping guidelines could be used because according to some only organic is proper food while others think fresh fruit and veggies even if not organic is okay and maybe some chicken and then of course there's those who think people on FS should only get dried beans and rice.

Quoting momma_sam:

We all know whats said on cafemom is law.

Quoting raven1114:

Don't you know according to cafemom as long as you buy it with your own money you are allowed to be fat and unhealthy, only those on FS need to eat healthy.

Quoting Mommy4000:

Why can't we just ban junk food period? No one needs to be consuming it, regardless of what it's bought with. So I guess this is good for all those with food benefits, they can get fit and look better than the rest of us. Really seems pointless.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

My first thought is that begges cannot be choosers. My second thought is that's cold. :shrug:

I wanted to say it too---but I am a compassionate person. 

ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Define junk. Would it just be candy? or all processed foods?

Quite honestly I don't think this will happen.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momma_sam:

Some people obviously do not know what its like to feed picky eaters.

I don't ALLOW picky eaters.  Who's in control?  The parents or a picky little kid?  My kids ate what was set before them, no rebuttals allowed. 

SO many lame excuses here in this thread. 

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:05 PM
So is it just you who pays taxes or what? You know some people dont get child support because the father refuses to pay. And when they catch up woth them they have to pay back medical and anything else the GOVERMENT LENDS out?

Quoting talia-mom:

It is common knowledge that 50% of this country doesn't end up paying federal income taxes.

Your brother gets back what he pays unless he is not in the group that qualifies for food stamps.

Quoting Jessica518:

I happen to know for a fact that your wrong. I know this because I have a sibling in college,works and has a toddler and he dont get alot back. He gets alot back for school thats it. So unless your the one recieving help or know alot someone who does...you need to learn facts first. And no he dont take from the state for school he pays himself plus his dads retired military guy so he recieves help. But his dad paid by defending our country

Quoting talia-mom:

Because they are using other taxpayers when they get food stamps.

Paying taxes that you get a full refund for, plus the ability to often get more than you paid, doesn't cover your food stamps.

Beggars can't be choosers.

Quoting Jessica518:

I dont think ANYONE should be buying alot of junk for their kids or themselves. There are people who work AND get food stamps. They pay taxes so why cant they buy what they want? You cant just assume their usibg yourvtax money. You know? Ive seen people buy pure junk and others buy a little bit. I think junk food AND fast foods should be banned. If were gonna ban bad stuff might as well not do it half ass.

Quoting talia-mom:

I don't think it is okay to buy tons of junk.

But I also don't think I should tell people what they can buy with money they earn.  That is the difference.

When the government gives you a card to buy food, they can and should tell you that you get healthy foods.

Quoting Jessica518:

Okay so if I buy all the junk food with MY money then its okay? If they need to see a doctor because of health problems its okay as long as I bought the junk with MY money?

Quoting talia-mom:

Or you get healthy foods on fs because we often are paying for your kids to have health care.   You can buy all the crap you want with your money.

Quoting Jessica518:

Your taxes dont pay for every family. So their kids should eat healthy while yours eat junk?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I really have no issue with this. The supplemental food program should be to provide healthy food choices. If the family chooses to purchase junk food, they should do so on their own dime. Not mine. 

JTROX
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM

why should govt fund hings like soda pop or chips?

talia-mom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM

You are making no sense.

If your brother gets food stamps, he isn't paying federal income taxes.

That is pretty simple.

Quoting Jessica518:

So is it just you who pays taxes or what? You know some people dont get child support because the father refuses to pay. And when they catch up woth them they have to pay back medical and anything else the GOVERMENT LENDS out?

Quoting talia-mom:

It is common knowledge that 50% of this country doesn't end up paying federal income taxes.

Your brother gets back what he pays unless he is not in the group that qualifies for food stamps.

Quoting Jessica518:

I happen to know for a fact that your wrong. I know this because I have a sibling in college,works and has a toddler and he dont get alot back. He gets alot back for school thats it. So unless your the one recieving help or know alot someone who does...you need to learn facts first. And no he dont take from the state for school he pays himself plus his dads retired military guy so he recieves help. But his dad paid by defending our country

Quoting talia-mom:

Paying taxes that you get a full refund for, plus the ability to often get more than you paid, doesn't cover your food stamps.

Quoting Jessica518:

I dont think ANYONE should be buying alot of junk for their kids or themselves. There are people who work AND get food stamps. They pay taxes so why cant they buy what they want? You cant just assume their usibg yourvtax money. You know? Ive seen people buy pure junk and others buy a little bit. I think junk food AND fast foods should be banned. If were gonna ban bad stuff might as well not do it half ass.

Quoting talia-mom:

But I also don't think I should tell people what they can buy with money they earn.  That is the difference.

When the government gives you a card to buy food, they can and should tell you that you get healthy foods.

Quoting Jessica518:

Okay so if I buy all the junk food with MY money then its okay? If they need to see a doctor because of health problems its okay as long as I bought the junk with MY money?

Quoting talia-mom:

Or you get healthy foods on fs because we often are paying for your kids to have health care.   You can buy all the crap you want with your money.

Quoting Jessica518:

Your taxes dont pay for every family. So their kids should eat healthy while yours eat junk?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

I really have no issue with this. The supplemental food program should be to provide healthy food choices. If the family chooses to purchase junk food, they should do so on their own dime. Not mine. 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Quoting momma_sam:

You obviously didnt see my response a little after that. Some kids have issues with certain textures. Something to do with sensory issues.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting momma_sam:

Some people obviously do not know what its like to feed picky eaters.

I don't ALLOW picky eaters.  Who's in control?  The parents or a picky little kid?  My kids ate what was set before them, no rebuttals allowed. 

SO many lame excuses here in this thread. 

I'm sure a smart mother can find some good and healthy alternatives for her child with issues to eat.  I still will not cater to a child. 

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Like I said if you dont recieve help then you have no idra what goes on with their taxes. All your doing is ASSUMING you know. And you really dont know.

Quoting talia-mom:

You are making no sense.

If your brother gets food stamps, he isn't paying federal income taxes.

That is pretty simple.

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Jessica518:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I haven't shopped for meat in a store in years ~ I raise our own. I don't actually shop for any groceries in stores at this point. I do order wheat and flour in bulk, and coffee ... but what we eat is what we grow or raise ourselves. I usually can and dehydrate half of what I grow and give it to my boys and three neighbors who are elderly and who would eat a pretty steady diet of Ramen noodles thanks to the cost of their medication. When you live on less than $800 a month and pay $130 to the electric company, $80 for the phone and cable, and your meds cost about $500, it doesn't leave much for food. These people have applied for fs ~ and the highest amount they were awarded was $17 a month. Sorry, but that's not just wrong, it's an insult. The little chippy that lives across the street with her three children gets heating/cooling assistance (which goes towards her electric bill) and over $500 in fs ... and her DH works as well.

You can talk about finding better deals all you like, but the reality is that if you have no money to spend on food, NO deal is going to help ... and when the little chippy in front of you at the grocery store is buying steaks with fs for her bbq (along with all the trimmings) and buys the beer with cash ~ and you look in your buggy full of Ramen noodles and a few fresh veggies ~ people get angry.

So, I fill her cupboard with jars of veggies, soup, fruits, jelly, etc. I package up meat from my animals when we butcher. I make her butter, and cheese, and occasionally ice cream ... and when I bake bread for our home, I bake a loaf or two for her as well. I did the same thing for my own mother while she lived here (up until she passed away). I do the same for two other elderly neighbors. It's all I can do ~ and it doesn't change the reality that there are far too many others that are just as poor, and just as hungry. A lot of them live in cities and make do with the Ramen. A lot scrape through each month on a bag of rice and some veggies.

But hey, who am I to judge or be angry because kids 'deserve' snacks, and soda, and a birthday cake etc. and their parents need the food stamps so they can spend their cash on beer? Argh.

Quoting raven1114:

Don't know what to tell ya other than perhaps either my area has better deals on meats such as steak and fish than yours does or I just know how to find better deals than you do. I've often not always but often been able to find fish and steak at the same price or even cheaper than hamburger.
Quoting Farmlady09:

I know a lot of working people that can afford neither ~ and that is where my issue with it comes from. People who work their butts off, sometimes 7 days a week, tend to not appreciate budgeting and scraping to buy the very cheapest groceries, then stand in line and watch someone else unload a buggy full of junk food mixed in with high end things like steak, lobster, etc.

Why should anyone bother working if they have to pay taxes so that people who don't work, don't/won't work up to their potential, don't have enough education to get a better job get enough in fs to eat far better than they can feed their own children? They are sick of being exploited. The fact that most of our elderly do without even basic nutrition because they aren't eligible for fs (and those who tout that the elderly make up a major percentage of fs recipients are full of it ... most don't qualify for more than $15 - 20 a month because they have no children to feed) is sickening. Those people actually HAVE worked. Their entire lives. To qualify for most assistance our elderly have to lose everything they ever worked for. The young people who aren't working get everything and a large percentage do squat (but most will gripe that they deserve more).

I don't get all mushy when someone says 'children shouldn't have to go without because the parents screwed up or fell on hard times'. I don't advocate making children do without. Children deserve good food ~ but NO processed food is good or healthy ~ and a healthy diet doesn't require steak or seafood. Fish is fine, but salmon steaks aren't necessary. All the sugar filled and coated cereal is unhealthy (the fact that vitamins have to be added back in to the pulverized, shaped, and colored mess is a clue) ~ oatmeal is not. Lunchmeat and processed goop in fancy packaging is not healthy. Cakes, cookies, chips, soda ... not healthy. Etc.

Like it or not, the old saying 'beggars can't be choosers' is the reason people are fed up. Like it or not, those people who are on fs, for any reason, are the modern day beggars. People try and sugar coat that, or avoid saying that ... I won't. If it were up to me, the bulk of all welfare would go to the elderly and handicapped (and sorry, but stuttering, or an alphabet dangle is NOT handicapped). Anyone who is able bodied and not working (especially those claiming they will work just as soon as they have finished college and their children are in school) would get a months worth of beans, rice, produce, and some garden seeds.

Junk food is a want ~ not a need. Those who want should get off their butt and earn the money to buy junk food.

Quoting raven1114:

Okay what is everyone's deal with people on FS buying steak and seafood? I mean sure I can see not getting some $30 steak but you do know you can find steak on sale right? Sometimes even cheaper than hamburger. As for seafood, lets see I can buy a bag of frozen talapia for about $10 that has about 20 pieces of fish in it so please tell me how that is some hugely expenses item. Hell even shrimp I can get a good sized bag for $5 that has enough to feed 5-6 people in it. I really don't get some of y'alls pissiness about some damn fish.
Quoting Farmlady09:

For the price of a small can filled with mystery meat, corn syrup, $.05 cents worth of spices, and some tomato powder, you can buy a pound of lean ground chuck here. Add a buck for beans, another buck for a can of tomato sauce, and spices most people have in the cupboard and you can make 6 times as much as what is in that can without the fillers ~ and if all you needed was the can you can put the rest in the freezer to use later. Yes, the can is junk.

I'd be happy if they limited what can be purchased to what is on the wic list, fresh fruits/veggies, frozen fruits/veggies not in a sauce, canned fruits and veggies with no added sugar/salt, and meat that doesn't have nitrates ... and no steak or seafood. Basic baking supplies like flour and yeast ~ no boxed mixes. Rice, beans, and spices. If necessary, give people a cookbook and the Ball Canning guide.

I buy coffee and flour at the store. That's about it. Everything else we eat I grow or raise and either can, dehydrate, or freeze it. We live on a retired/disabled military pay ~ and put half of it into savings each month, so by government standards, we are poor. We live in a house that we built, literally, with our own hands, on land we own (and paid for on that retired salary). I have a garden, a well, a septic tank, and solar (also paid for on that salary).

The problem in this country isn't a matter of 'scraping the bottom' or not making enough, it's people who consistently spend more than they earn, want new instead of making do, and who throw things away so they have room to buy more. It's people who 'want' more than one vehicle, 'want' a tv in every room along with every channel available, 'want' every electronic gadget, 'want' the most expensive clothes, etc. ~ and have no comprehension that there is a difference between 'want' and 'need'.

You 'need' a roof ~ but people 'want' a 3500 sq. ft. roof (never mind that the people who settled this country, and many who live all around the world today live under a roof that is under 1000 sq. ft., and many live in homes under 500 sq. ft.). You 'need' food, but 'want' takeout, microwave, just add water, cheap.

People lived for centuries on far less. Most people in the US consume more than twice as much a day as they need, and there is a disturbingly high number who more than quadruple the amount of food they actually need. There are restaurants where you can do that with a single meal. Like it or not, anything that comes in a box or a bag that just needs some water and heated up is junk. If it has extra sugar or salt, it's junk. If it looks like a candy bar, chips, or little cakes ~ it's junk. If it comes in a can and fizzes, it's junk. Even most 'health' foods are junk, especially the diet meals.

Don't worry about me falling off my horse or getting splinters ... I regularly put away enough food for more than a year, every year. The produce costs me nothing but a little time. The meat costs on average $.75 a pound and it is lean, omega balanced, and pasture raised. In addition to that, I have enough left over to supply not only my sons and their families with a good bit, but several elderly neighbors as well ~ and some to local food banks. All it takes is my time. No high horse or stick, just some common sense and making a choice to not go broke buying junk.

Quoting specialwingz:

What you consider junk is merely your opinion.  You also probably have no idea what it's like to have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to make ends meet.  Things happen.  So, I'd be careful about saying you'll never have to climb down.  There's 30M people in our country who thought the same thing.  Shit happens.  Hope you get splinters from that nasty stick you have up your butt.

I've been through hard times.  I worked my ass off to get back to good times.  Hope I never have to go through it again.  But, it certainly taught me humility and compassion for those who do fall on hard times.

Quoting talia-mom:

Yep it is junk.

Per ounce it is not more expensive.  It does involve cooking, but yeah.  That is so often the excuse of these moms.

My ladder is awesome.  I will never have to climb down.  Sorry.   Junk food doesn't need to be provided on food stamps.

I saw coupons for canned chili and thought of getting some for the local pantry.   Wasn't worth what I would pay.   I would get more using coupons and buying pasta or soup.  It's junk and it isn't cheap.

Quoting specialwingz:

Although I do cook everything from scratch, many people don't.  So, a can of chili is JUNK?  Making chili from scratch is way more expensive than the can.  So, people who can't afford to cook everything from scratch are eating "junK" just because it came from a can?  Hope you have a ladder so you don't hurt yourself climbing down off that high horse of yours.

Quoting talia-mom:

I think it is pretty damn obvious canned chili and lunchables are junk food.

But yeah, we should just let people buy whatever they want despite this being a nutrition program.

Quoting gma12.1:

What guidelines would be used to constitute "junk food" or food with no nutritional value? Some ppl think that if it isn't organic it is juck food, others think that pre-packaged food is junk food because the nutritional value has been depleted so much. Would saltine crackers be junk food? What about lunchables? Canned fruit in syrup? Canned chili? Who gets to say & how will the grocery stores know what is junk food? Sorry but that is an asinine bill. It will cost more to implement than it will save. Even in the long run it won't even out, the legislature will have to have a new dept, staff, rules, regulations, redo the entire food stamp system. So the what happens? We tax payers will pay more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN